Notices
ECU Flash

!Help with Openport 1.3!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
!Help with Openport 1.3!

To make a long story short I had to uninstall a BUNCH of programs, drivers, etc. I have successfully reinstalled ecuflash and evoscan. My problem is when I hook up the openport/tactrix 1.3 cable to the laptop. It comes up with error messages and some other gibberish.
When I installed ecuflash, the cable drivers all installed properly (3 total). Here are some screen shots of what I've been running into.
I have tried <browsing/ecuflash/drivers/64x. No luck.
I am running Vista64, I think, or is it 32? I'm not savvy with computers at all.
Any help with this would be very appreciated.
I did notice that I used to have a "program" called FTDI. It isn't there anymore and I'm not sure if that's the problem.
Attached Thumbnails !Help with Openport 1.3!-stupid-openport.jpg   !Help with Openport 1.3!-stupid-openport2.jpg   !Help with Openport 1.3!-stupid-openport3.jpg   !Help with Openport 1.3!-stupid-openport4.jpg  
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FTDI is the chipset used inside usb<-->serial converters. Used to connect e.g. Zeitronix AFR with serial output to a newer notebook without a legacy serial port. However, the FTDI driver is also required by EvoScan/EcuFlash/OpenPort 1.3U (I'm guessing the OBDII port behaves like a serial port and there is a FTDI chip inside the Tactrix cable too?).

It looks like you have the wrong version of the driver installed for the version of Vista you have.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

From http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/

- For USB cable drivers either download and install ecuflash or run DPInst.exe from
32-bit: C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.6\USB Drivers\x86\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.6\USB Drivers\x64\

Notice the different ending.

If that doesn't work, I'd try uninstalling & reinstalling EcuFlash first, check that works e.g. by reading your ROM, and then install EvoScan again afterwards. 64-bit Vista support was only added to EvoScan recently, so I would just try and get v2.7 Beta2 running, and not try the older versions.

General install info also from http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/

Supported Operating Systems: x86 and 64 bit.
Windows XP (all Editions)
Windows Vista (all Editions) full control permissions needed to be added to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, full control permissions needed to be added to the Evoscan installation folder.
Windows Server 2003 (all Editions)
Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows ME
Windows NT 4.0 with SP6a
Windows 2000

Laptop Requirements:
EvoScan/EcuFlash/OpenPort 1.3U Requires installation of USB FTDI drivers (installed with ecuflash, or EvoScan will auto install them if no drivers found on logging). Otherwise you'll get this message: FTD2XX.DLL missing. You can manually install the Evoscan USB drivers: from C:\program files\evoscan\EvoScan v2.5\USB Drivers\x86\DPinst.exe /i

ELM327 USB Cable Drivers and Software: Download Here

Requires installation of Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 (its not installed by default on WindowsXP, but it is installed by default in Windows Vista). Otherwise you'll get this message: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)." - to fix install MS .NET Framework v2.0

Last edited by SoCal Rally; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
^^^ Drivers for sure. The drivers that came with evoscan probably arent correct for your cable.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks- I'll try the driver downloads when I get home from work. I was starting to wonder if it was the cable, but it was working fine before I dumped everything. So I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue. So annoying.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm definitely running 32 bit vista, I uninstalled ecuflash and the tactrix driver. Rebooted. Installed ecuflash and all 3 parts of tactrix driver successfully. Downloaded ELM. Hooked up openport cable to laptop- same ****. This is so annoying. Anymore ideas on what could be going on here?
Please help.

Edit: When hooking up the cable to the laptop, it recognizes it as the openport 1.3, searches preconfigured drive folders for a second, goes right to searching windows online update, then to installing software, then failing. Maybe that will help somebody help me a little bit.

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Aug 27, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

How come I can install the drivers properly using the driver folders from either evoscan or openecu, but when hooking up the cable and I "browse folders" and select the shown folder, it won't work. Getting pissed off here. This makes no sense to me.
Attached Thumbnails !Help with Openport 1.3!-stupid-openport5.jpg  
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone? I know there are mad computer geniuses out there. Please give me an idea of what's going on. Sounds desperate- well I am. I have an event coming up on Sat and will need to flash a different map in for the race. It's not a bad map- just a little more power than required for what I'm doing. By a little, I mean 50whp/wtq. Nothing to sneeze at.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By searching in the folders your computer is informing you that your driver is not installed yet.

This is the important stuff from Hamish
Laptop Requirements:
EvoScan/EcuFlash/OpenPort 1.3U Requires installation of USB FTDI drivers (installed with ecuflash, or EvoScan will auto install them if no drivers found on logging)
Otherwise you'll get this message: FTD2XX.DLL missing
you can manually install the Evoscan USB drivers: from C:\program files\evoscan\EvoScan v2.5\USB Drivers\x86\DPinst.exe /i

ELM327 USB Cable Drivers and Software: Download Here

Requires installation of Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 (its not installed by default on WindowsXP, but it is installed by default in Windows Vista)
Otherwise you'll get this message: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)." - to fix install MS .NET Framework v2.0

Basically if the laptop can run Windows fine, then the EvoScan software will also run.
So double check that you have .net framework 2.0 (it should be under vista) then run Evoscan to see if the drivers will install automatically. If not then you need to follow his procedure to manually install the drivers. I am surprised that they aren't already installed properly with the ecuflash install. Maybe before trying to install more drivers you should go to device manager and check what the cable's status is. Go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager and the cable should probably be under the Ports section. Right click on the heading for the cable and select properties. You should be able to see what Windows thinks about what is going on with this device on the opening tab but go to the driver tab and select uninstall. After that try uninstalling Ecuflash then installing it again.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

I will try that when I get home- thanks. As I was doing some searching on drivers last night, come to find out there was a giant vista service pack that had to be installed which effects drivers. Interesting. I'm hoping this update will help me along with that last bit of info. Thanks everybody for the help.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Is there anyway someone could send me a link for a download of an older version of ecuflash- say 1.41. That version worked fine for me before- I'm wondering if it's the new version.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a problem with my evoscan program when i connect my cable and activate,example to bleed the ayc i get a message saying that the cable isint responding,any help.
i installed ecuflash but not sure what to do now.

any help....??
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davy
i have a problem with my evoscan program when i connect my cable and activate,example to bleed the ayc i get a message saying that the cable isint responding,any help.
i installed ecuflash but not sure what to do now.

any help....??
You should start a new thread about that. Two different problems here. I need someone to please send me a link to an older version of ecuflash. Higher than 1.31 is preferable. Pretty sure the good 1.28 that everybody claims is bug free wont work with my car. Please.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

bump- need an older version of ecuflash please
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Figured it out- the new version of ecuflash wouldn't work with my laptop- didn't install drivers correctly. Installed 1.39 and everything is good. Now I just need to get a copy of my base file from the newest version and paste it to this version.

20081101 is the base xml I need. Just a little more help and I'm there. Thanks guys.

I even tried 1.40 and it doesn't have the base xml i need. 1.41 would be perfect, but unable to locate a download. So I need the base xml or VS 1.41

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Aug 28, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for somebody sending me the 20081101 base xml.