Notices
ECU Flash

Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the 1g female plug just find a bad 1g ecu (easy task with the capacitor issues in those units). Snip the pins off where they solder to the circuit board, straighten them out, and you have yourself a female plug.

Also, I misspoke earlier, the 1g VSS does indeed work. When wired in you can do gear based boost control.

I think jack of trades is going to post up a rom, or at least identify which periphery codes need disabled in a V7 rom to get rid of the rear O2 and charging system P0XXX codes that the ecu will throw.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:28 PM
CMB
Evolving Member

Wow just stumbled across this thread. Evo ECU in a 1990 DSM...amazing work guys!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 06:20 PM

Alright.. gathering parts for this swap and found a place to make the jumper harness for the ecu.. Does anyone have the pinout chart for this? I have a 93 Talon Awd and saw a semi-complete chart posted in the first couple pages of this thread for a 90..

I just want to make sure I have this right before getting the place to make one for me..
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

Who is making you a jumper harness?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:41 PM

local place here in Dallas.. friend gave me a link to it earlier and I cant remember the name of the place at the moment, but he used the same place to make a jumper harness for his motec in his 9..

He already talked to them and says they have the stuff to do it, just need a pinout chart for it..
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Search and you shall find...
Interesting stuff.

WADAD
Old Dec 6, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

you should really go with dsm link....
Old Dec 7, 2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by evo8nfs
You really should think before you post useless comments Having a bigger post count still doesn't make you competent!

The swap of an EVO8 ECU into my DSM has been nothing but rewarding. I have my MAFT running better then ever, big maps, gear based boost control (perfect for my FWD setup) and the support of a huge community of great developers.

DSMlink is a great product; a must for anyone who doesn't want to put alot of time into R&D and needs instant results. But for those willing to invest some (okay.. alot) of time into your hobby, then the EVO8 ECU is nothing but fun!

Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:31 AM

I cleaned up the original pinout chart and here's the result. It's pinned out for a 91-94 vs the 90 the first charts done for. I also have the excel spread sheet as well if anyone wants it PM me.

Name:  dsmtoevo.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  135.7 KB

As soon as I can find someone to reflash the immobilizer off of my ECU I plan on installing my Evo 8 ECU as well. As far as the connectors go any late 90s Mitsu car with a 4GXX powerplant _SHOULD_ have the same basic 4 plug layout. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a fried 1G ECU to make a patch harness so my OBD I & II connectors are patched directly into it. I'm still unfortunatly about $300 off of getting an OpenPort 2.0 connector, flash cable, and EvoScan.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8nfs
If any else want to post about DSMlink please go to DSMtuners or DSMtalk.

This thread is about putting an EVO8 ECU into a 1g and all that it involves.

PS. ECUflash owns the F'in crap out of DSMlink (thanks to the community of helpers you know who you are)

BLACKMAGE: Awesome diagram bro!!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

If anybody can get a hold of jack of trades ask him what his peripheries are set to. He was able to get rid of the alternator charging codes by changing the peripheries. However if you look at the periphery list it doesn't list the codes that I am throwing on the EDM 96530006. If I can get his peripheries I should be able to build a base map over christmas. If I don't get this I will probably spend most of my time changing 1 bit at a time, driving 30 mins to check for the code, rinse/repeat.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
If anybody can get a hold of jack of trades ask him what his peripheries are set to. He was able to get rid of the alternator charging codes by changing the peripheries. However if you look at the periphery list it doesn't list the codes that I am throwing on the EDM 96530006. If I can get his peripheries I should be able to build a base map over christmas. If I don't get this I will probably spend most of my time changing 1 bit at a time, driving 30 mins to check for the code, rinse/repeat.
Just asking, but what code(s) are you throwing?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by C130flyer
PS. ECUflash owns the F'in crap out of DSMlink (thanks to the community of helpers you know who you are)
I'll only reply to this once, since it's way off-topic for this thread, and I fail to see why it came up in the first place.

Different strokes for different folks. ECMLink provides a polished user interface and a well-integrated chain of utilities, along with some of the finest support from it's creators (Tom and Dave) that you'll likely ever get from a software company. They're good people, and make a good product. However, it's not free (but neither was EvoScan, your cable, and your time).

For some people, a plug-and-play solution for a few dollars more is invaluable; it means they're up and running right now, rather than wading through thousands of forum threads trying to learn how all the pieces fit together. I enjoy hacking on geeky stuff like this, but I'd be foolish to assume everyone was like me. Work with MoTeC's stuff for a while, and you'll understand why our playground, while fun, is third-rate.

(And here's where I'll get flamed: the current state of "open" tuning for the Evo is quite possibly the worst end-user experience I've seen. It's great for those who don't mind scouring a few thousand threads, but the combination of a poorly-integrated log/tune/flash user interface/workflow, along with the current "quick hack" approach to patching, has resulted in something that non-technical folks can't and won't be bothered to figure out. We've seen some really big improvements lately: consolidating to a small number of ROMs and distributing versions of those ROMs with popular features already patched in. But there's still a long way to go before we're even close to the user experience something like ECMLink v3 provides out of the box, because developing good end-user software is hard, and there's no integration of development efforts between ROM patching, logging, and flashing. There, I've said my bit, and I'll go be quiet now.)
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by logic
I'll only reply to this once, since it's way off-topic for this thread, and I fail to see why it came up in the first place.

Different strokes for different folks. ECMLink provides a polished user interface and a well-integrated chain of utilities, along with some of the finest support from it's creators (Tom and Dave) that you'll likely ever get from a software company. They're good people, and make a good product. However, it's not free (but neither was EvoScan, your cable, and your time).

For some people, a plug-and-play solution for a few dollars more is invaluable; it means they're up and running right now, rather than wading through thousands of forum threads trying to learn how all the pieces fit together. I enjoy hacking on geeky stuff like this, but I'd be foolish to assume everyone was like me. Work with MoTeC's stuff for a while, and you'll understand why our playground, while fun, is third-rate.

(And here's where I'll get flamed: the current state of "open" tuning for the Evo is quite possibly the worst end-user experience I've seen. It's great for those who don't mind scouring a few thousand threads, but the combination of a poorly-integrated log/tune/flash user interface/workflow, along with the current "quick hack" approach to patching, has resulted in something that non-technical folks can't and won't be bothered to figure out. We've seen some really big improvements lately: consolidating to a small number of ROMs and distributing versions of those ROMs with popular features already patched in. But there's still a long way to go before we're even close to the user experience something like ECMLink v3 provides out of the box, because developing good end-user software is hard, and there's no integration of development efforts between ROM patching, logging, and flashing. There, I've said my bit, and I'll go be quiet now.)
It's like Linux vs Windows. I'm going to spend the time to learn how to hack my ECU and all that jazz because it's something different than the norm for a 1G and it seems like a step between ECMLink and full stand-alone. As this is really my project and eventually to be race car I'd rather have something cheaper that's a bit harder to setup than just out of the box and more expensive. I can't wait to get my hands on the last little things I need to get this fired up in my car.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:07 AM
Account Disabled

Over christmas I am hoping to test out my latest harness intended for a Speed Density setup with the MAF Translator SD harness that allows a GM pressure sensor and GM IAT to plug into the factor MAF connection.

Quick Reply: Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!