Notices
ECU Flash

Virtual Dyno Room-Dyno Simulator

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Virtual Dyno Room-Dyno Simulator

Version v5.71 includeS a new sheet with all of the default Evo 7-10 info for 3rd gear ratio,4th gear ratio,final drive ratio, Frontal Area (ft^2) and Drag CoEfficient. Also, there are 10 USER definable blank rows so ANY vehicle can be added and saved to the drop-down list for future use!

v5.62 revision added on 9/01/2009
  • Updated the Dynojet Dyno Correction to 1.110
  • 2005 Evo 8 5-speed and 2006 MR gear ratios were corrected
  • Fixed the problem with the BASE PULL side not appearing on the graph.

v5.5 revision added on 6/30/2009

The DynoJet and EVO-M Comparator Dyno Correction Factors were corrected.

v5.4 revision added on 6/29/2009

The 'Directions' link was edited to link to the new DIRECTIONS tutorial webpage.

This version works with all platforms (Excel 2007,Excel 97-03,OpenOffice 3.1)

v5.3 revision added on 6/23/2009
  • Improved calculations for increased accuracy
  • Increased resolution from 250 RPM to 50 RPM
  • Edited Dyno Graph to auto-fit to the size of the RPM range logged
  • Added Tire Diameter Calculator to 'User Settings' page

First off, I want to thank MrFred for creating the original excel spreadsheet that I got the base formulas from, without your initial motivation I wouldn't have tried to create something with Excel (this was my first time using excel).

Virtual Dyno Room (version 5.71) is an Excel based program (should work with the freeware version 3.1 by www.OpenOffice.org too). You can take a 3rd or 4th gear pull from your logging software (evoscan,etc...) and paste it into this program to get an idea what your power curve looks like (though the HP/TQ values are quite close, dont expect them to be dead-on with a real dyno!).

The simulator only needs two columns of data....TIME and RPM. Everything else required is calculated internally by the vehicle information you enter into the simulator.

The simulator averages the data from 2450 RPM to 10,100 RPM but you will see a little bit of data loss at each end of the graph from the smoothing feature.

Its best to start your pull 250 RPM sooner than you would like to see on the graph and to finish 250 RPM later than you'd like to see on the graph.

Cut and paste the data for LogEntrySeconds and RPM from your datalog but make sure to only transfer over the data while you were at 100% TPS (wide-Open throttle).

When using the 'SMOOTHING' feature, start at a smoothing factor of '1' and work your way up until the jagged bumps just begin to smooth out. Adding too much smoothing will throw off the accuracy. Just like on a real dyno.

Newly added features for those who have been using the beta versions are:
  • User adjustable Tire Diameter (the stock default tire diameter is 25.3 inches or 64 centimeters)
  • Metric/Imperial conversion (weight,Air Temp,Baro. Pressure,Tire Diameter)
  • User defined gear and final drive ratio
  • User adjustable labeling for the Base Pull and the Comparison Pull

This took me COUNTLESS hours upon hours to get to work with the LARGE variance in datalog file sizes so although its free for everyone to use, I will be adding a donation button to this thread for anyone who finds this tool useful for them. ANY donations are GREATLY appreciated!

If there are any revisions or updates, I will keep this first post updated with the revisions and the link to the newest version. Thanks guys!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD 'Virtual Dyno Room v5.71' !

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 24, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack_of_Trades:
CyKlops (Aug 23, 2016), jb988 (Apr 18, 2016)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Saved for updates.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Nice job on the interface! I'll have to try it out to see where I'm at compared to an MD and Dj.

EDIT: For stock turbo cars, I recommend being at full throttle before 2500 rpm because there is lots of action between 2500 and 3000 rpm, especially in 4th gear. Also, it probably goes without saying, but the best road dyno data will come from pulls on a straight, flat piece of road with as little wind as possible. Turning the steering wheel any significant amount can have a pretty decent effect on the dyno data.

Last edited by mrfred; Jun 16, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking forward to giving it a try!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool! DLing now...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

I changed SOOOOO many things in this program since v5.0 so please let me know if I messed anything up.

I also changed the format just now so it automatically SHOULD show up in full screen so only the stuff you NEED to see is visible, so if you DL'd it already try it now and tell me if its any better to view.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Jun 16, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice work!

First thing I noticed is, and me likey, is that all of the "New" user settings, and theyre on its own page. Also you can call "the pulls" whatever you like. When smoothing, you dont actually loose anything from it, it just smooths it out, as opposed to the first few! Very cool! I also like the fact its not popping up w/ the formula stuff...

Im unsure what to put in for my tire diameter... 18's w/ 245/40/18 rt-615's. It didnt seem to do much, between 24.6 and 25.2 though.

All in All, excellent work. I dont have DLL yet, so this is nice to have and compare things, after making changes!

Thank you J.O.T for all of the hours, putting in work on this bad boy, and sharing it w/ all of us! Also cant forget about MrFred, thank you as well!

Donation on the way...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really do appreciate you guys trying this but sorry it dont match what the dyno said in my logs. the one pull that made more power on the dyno shows making less power throughout the whole pull from the other.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Did you use the correct correction to match the style dyno you were on vs the simulator?

Also didnt you read the thread? its not meant to be exact - its a simulator (a tool) to use to visually see gains during tuning for the diy guy who would like to visually see if the changes he is making while tuning are actually working or not.........I think your missing the point of this.

And im sure your car hasn't changed at all since you were on the dyno last, cause that never changes.......

Last edited by travman; Jun 16, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup sure did
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well, there is something I noticed from the data I have recieved from actual dyno pulls (from my own testing and from others) is that the dyno may show increases in power sometimes depending on the smoothing applied. Not to say this is the case with you but I'm sure dyno tuners will chime in and agree that it IS a factor. On the highest power pull I just did on my buddies evo the car knocked like MAD from 6k til redline. It lowerd timing by 2 degrees yet the dyno registered an increase in power with smoothing. The simulator clearly showed the dip in power immediately when the knock dropped timing. I was surprised.

Again, as I mentioned in the first post...don't go by the HP/TQ values too much. Use it to inspect your power curve. All in all, its pretty darn dependable. There isn't much to the math. Its just logging how quickly you go from one RPM value to the next. If you do a pull on the dyno from 5k-6k RPM in 1.0 seconds on one pull and then do it in 1.1 seconds on the second pull, you're gonna have higher numbers on the first of the two.

Its a tool, not a replacement for the real thing
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

lol wow, neat-o!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
Donation on the way...
Thank you! You have no idea how greatly appricated that is!

So is this program opening up in 100% FULL SCREEN for you guys?

Originally Posted by mrfred
Nice job on the interface! I'll have to try it out to see where I'm at compared to an MD and Dj.

EDIT: For stock turbo cars, I recommend being at full throttle before 2500 rpm because there is lots of action between 2500 and 3000 rpm, especially in 4th gear. Also, it probably goes without saying, but the best road dyno data will come from pulls on a straight, flat piece of road with as little wind as possible. Turning the steering wheel any significant amount can have a pretty decent effect on the dyno data.
Very good points! Thanks for adding that info MrFred!

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Jun 16, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:07 PM

I found this last night(v5.1) and must say that it is great. A big thanks to all the guys who make diy tuning easier. I'll be sending a little some thing your way. Now I have to get on a real dyno, but it looks close.
Attached Thumbnails Virtual Dyno Room-Dyno Simulator-dynosim-medium-.jpg  
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot to mention, if you get the high flying tails in the high rpm area just delete a few rows in your datalog on the "Data Entry" page until it drops down. Its because your logging ended halfway between the 250 RPM markers where I collect data.

Quick Reply: Virtual Dyno Room-Dyno Simulator