Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: control closed loop AFR with your wideband O2 system

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Well I made another attempt at using this new patch vs. the old patch and I am still having problems. The car fires and idles but the afr is 16-17 no matter what is in the map....I go back to the old version and it works like a charm?

Mrfred any ideas what could be causing this? have you tried it on your car yet?
Yep, I've been running it on my car pretty much since the day I started this thread. However, I have two variants. The variant I use is nominally the exact same algorithm as the one I posted, but mine is in a slightly different ROM address space. Its carryover from when I first began developing the O2 sensor patches. I guess I'll have to load up the variant I posted here to see what's going on.

A few quick questions:

1) Are you reading AFR via the LC-1 serial cable or over the LC-1 analog out?

2) Does the car idle like crap when the AFR is 16-17:1?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, I've been running it on my car pretty much since the day I started this thread. However, I have two variants. The variant I use is nominally the exact same algorithm as the one I posted, but mine is in a slightly different ROM address space. Its carryover from when I first began developing the O2 sensor patches. I guess I'll have to load up the variant I posted here to see what's going on.

A few quick questions:

1) Are you reading AFR via the LC-1 serial cable or over the LC-1 analog out?

2) Does the car idle like crap when the AFR is 16-17:1?

I'm using the ZT2 - which i got to work great on your old patch. Its similar to the initial problem I had using the new patch (described in this thread) where I would start the car then immediately it would dive to 16-17 afr then fall to 21 and almost stall the car out. I thought it was my ZT2 settings so I tried your original patch and everything worked great??

1) Serial

2) Yes it idles a tad rough
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm using the ZT2 - which i got to work great on your old patch. Its similar to the initial problem I had using the new patch (described in this thread) where I would start the car then immediately it would dive to 16-17 afr then fall to 21 and almost stall the car out. I thought it was my ZT2 settings so I tried your original patch and everything worked great??

1) Serial

2) Yes it idles a tad rough
Its working with the older wideband closed loop patch ok?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Its working with the older wideband closed loop patch ok?
Yes sir.....
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes sir.....
ok. I'll load up the variant I posted here and figure what's wrong. Its got to be something very minor because the code is identical except for a few RAM addresses that tephra uses.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

ok. I'll load up the variant I posted here and figure what's wrong. Its got to be something very minor because the code is identical except for a few RAM addresses that tephra uses.
ok - thanks!

btw, I am running the tephra patch
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

ok - thanks!

btw, I am running the tephra patch
I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that the patch works perfectly. I even loaded up your ROM into my ECU (with my injector scaling, latencies, 1/mL, bL/mL, and init code), and everything worked perfectly. The bad news is that there must be something wrong with either your hardware setup or the 1/mL and bL/mL values.

How long did you let the car idle? Did you try driving it?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Well that is good news (glad its confirmed)......now I have to figure out whats going on with my end.

I let it idle for a few minutes - but maybe I will try driving it and see if it will eventually come down from the 16/17 at idle.

Thanks for the help...

- I will post up my findings - hopefully it will just work and be one of those unexplainable things that just happen and miraculously fix itself
Old Oct 12, 2008, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Well that is good news (glad its confirmed)......now I have to figure out whats going on with my end.

I let it idle for a few minutes - but maybe I will try driving it and see if it will eventually come down from the 16/17 at idle.

Thanks for the help...

- I will post up my findings - hopefully it will just work and be one of those unexplainable things that just happen and miraculously fix itself
Can you send me your ROM with my older closed loop wideband patch? Maybe I can figure out something from that.

Couple more questions:

How long does it take for the ZT2 wideband analog out signal to go live?

What is the AFR value that it gives before it goes live?

Last edited by mrfred; Oct 12, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
15-30 seconds and its usually 14.7 during warmup.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
15-30 seconds and its usually 14.7 during warmup.
30 seconds is a bit long. If the idle cells are not 14.7, then the STFT might be trying to add or subtract more and more fuel as it tries to hit the 14.7 target. Is there a way to set the ZT2 AFR during the period where it is warming up?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would have to say no. I'm not certain how long it takes to start outputting the actual AFR on the analog output wire but the manual says to wait 15-30 seconds before datalogging. This delay is for the sensors warmup period since the readings would be highly inaccurate if the sensor wasn't above 550*F yet.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well wouldn't you know it - miracles do happen

I didn't change a thing - I went out, flashed the car again, fired it up, started the logger and it was idling where it was supposed to....Maybe a bad flash but I have flashed it numerous times and had yet for it to work, but I guess anything can happen.

I have no idea what, why, or how but it now works and I changed nothing - the ZT2 analog starts spitting out data almost immediate because by the time I started the car, hit the logger it was spitting out the correct AFR.

Thanks for all the help mrfred
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

hey I was trying to give this a shot and I am running into a problem. I made all the changes to my ROM def but when I open the map the Tephra mod section doesn't not appear to work.

If I click any of the tephra maps, the data in the maps just appear as all jumbled numbers.

For example the mod options box appears as all "65535"

Help??
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dudical26
hey I was trying to give this a shot and I am running into a problem. I made all the changes to my ROM def but when I open the map the Tephra mod section doesn't not appear to work.

If I click any of the tephra maps, the data in the maps just appear as all jumbled numbers.

For example the mod options box appears as all "65535"

Help??
What version tephra ROM are you using?

Quick Reply: how-to: control closed loop AFR with your wideband O2 system