Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short term fuel trim

I have noticed that by doing the following, I get noticeably more torque:

1) swap cat for straight pipe
2) reset ECU
3) drive for a day or two
4) replace test-pipe with cat

I don't like driving without a cat unless I'm at the track, but even with the cat put back in, the torque gains remain. If I reset the ECU again after putting the cat back on, the car looses torque. I'm guessing this is due to the short term fuel trim, which somehow is "learned" differently when I put the test pipe on and reset the ECU, but remains when I put the cat back on without a reset.

So, is there a way to "save" my ECU state after going through this, so that if I reset my battery with the cat on, I can just reload the short term fuel trim via ECUFlash to get the higher torque output? I wasn't sure if ECUFlash stores short term trim data or just the "base tune".
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It really shouldn't make a difference because the short term fuel trim is only telling you how much the ECU had to change the mixture (almost in an instant) to achieve the 14.7:1 AFR. The only way the AFR would change is if the difference was so great that it exceeded the ECU's ability to achieve a 14.7:1 AFR, which is roughly 50% between STFT and LTFT. If you have a wideband, you will notice that you are still cruising at 14.7:1 either way. Any high torque readings you can get is from open loop mapping which would be the exact same anyways.

If ANYTHING, you might get a good amount of carbon buildup with the cat installed and with the free-flowing testpipe it kind of purges some of the build-up (would create a greater scavenging effect). After a few days with the cat, the carbon build-up returns. This is a shot in the dark of course.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Nov 9, 2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

Makes no difference. Placebo tuning FTW>
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by externaldump
Makes no difference. Placebo tuning FTW>
hehe ... maybe I'm going to try and log it, to see if there is really something going on, or if my butt-dyno is broken.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
It really shouldn't make a difference because the short term fuel trim is only telling you how much the ECU had to change the mixture (almost in an instant) to achieve the 14.7:1 AFR. The only way the AFR would change is if the difference was so great that it exceeded the ECU's ability to achieve a 14.7:1 AFR, which is roughly 50% between STFT and LTFT. If you have a wideband, you will notice that you are still cruising at 14.7:1 either way. Any high torque readings you can get is from open loop mapping which would be the exact same anyways.

If ANYTHING, you might get a good amount of carbon buildup with the cat installed and with the free-flowing testpipe it kind of purges some of the build-up (would create a greater scavenging effect). After a few days with the cat, the carbon build-up returns. This is a shot in the dark of course.
I'm not sure I quite understand...after I installed my Injen IC piping and intake I reset the ecu to let it relearn the new parts. It took my '03 Evo 8 about 3 days to relearn the fuel trims. On day one my afr's at idle and cruising speed were all over the place and had a heck of a time trying to get to near that 14.7 mark. Most of the time it wanted to stay near 15.3-16 until you built up pressure or came under load. Day 2 was pretty similar but getting closer to where it needed to be, and by day 3 it was pretty good. Definitely wasn't an instantaneous adjustment.
Of course as far as cat/test pipe goes, I find it a little hard to believe that kept the same hp/tq. values when swapping the two around. It's pretty much law of physics...remove an obstruction and whatever is flowing through will flow better and faster, put it back in and it will slow it down again. I think your butt-dyno needs to be recalibrated lol
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I'm wondering what parameters are actually being set in the ECU when it "learns a new part", and get reset when you disconnect the battery? Also, do these values stay fixed after the "learning period" is over?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by voidhawk
I guess I'm wondering what parameters are actually being set in the ECU when it "learns a new part", and get reset when you disconnect the battery? Also, do these values stay fixed after the "learning period" is over?
Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
I'm not sure I quite understand...after I installed my Injen IC piping and intake I reset the ecu to let it relearn the new parts. It took my '03 Evo 8 about 3 days to relearn the fuel trims. On day one my afr's at idle and cruising speed were all over the place and had a heck of a time trying to get to near that 14.7 mark. Most of the time it wanted to stay near 15.3-16 until you built up pressure or came under load. Day 2 was pretty similar but getting closer to where it needed to be, and by day 3 it was pretty good. Definitely wasn't an instantaneous adjustment.
Of course as far as cat/test pipe goes, I find it a little hard to believe that kept the same hp/tq. values when swapping the two around. It's pretty much law of physics...remove an obstruction and whatever is flowing through will flow better and faster, put it back in and it will slow it down again. I think your butt-dyno needs to be recalibrated lol
All the ECU learns are the new STFT and LTFT parameters. This is only useful for closed loop, low throttle driving and has nothing to do with with open loop operation (when you mash the gas). They are always changing when it senses a difference in the AFR but it takes a day or two for you to repeatedly hit those cells in the fuel maps before the settings become more permanent. Idle, for example, can relarn itself in a matter of minutes since its simply sitting in one cell in the map. That make a little more sense for you guys?

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Nov 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much more sense...thank you