Notices
ECU Flash

How to MOD your ROM with NLTS or others!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How to MOD your ROM with NLTS or others!

Hey guys,
I have been trying to help people “mod” their ROM’s and get so many questions once they try and fail. I have decided to give my part back to the community and take the better part of an hour to write this instruction guide on how to apply a modified/patched ROM and make it work in your car. This write up is using Tephra’s modified no lift to shift (nlts)/flash cel on knock/valet mod.

Here it goes:

Download your ROM patch as shown below:

Extract the contents of the .zip file and you will have 3 files as shown below:

Find out your version of ECUFlash by opening it and going to Help, then about:

CLOSE ECUFLash AFTER YOU GET THE VERSION IT MUST BE CLOSED!

Open the text document that was provided in the zip file by tephra appropriate to
your ECUFlash version as shown below:

Go to this directory as shown below:

Open up the provided text document and copy just the first segment as shown below:

Paste this segment of code in the XML you opened in the ECUFlash directory and make sure word wrap is not selected, if it is go to format and uncheck word wrap as shown below:

It should now look like this:

Tab the code over to make it look pleasing to the eye when reading the XML file (this does not have to be done, but being a computer science/programmer it is a pet peeve of mine) as shown below:

Copy the rest of the provided code by the modder as shown below:

Paste it just before the </rom>, this is the end of the definition if you paste it after that then it will not work properly. Paste it as shown below:

Tab it as shown below if you want to:

SAVE IT!

Open up ECUFlash and change the user level to advanced or developer, CLOSE IT AFTER YOU DO THIS AND OPEN IT BACK UP!

Open up your ROM’s, your current one and the modified one provided by tephra (in this example):

Now we need to copy all of the tables from your current ROM over to tephra’s patched ROM, to do this highlight all the fields and copy them, then highlight all the fields on the tephra’s patched ROM and paste them there. Check your scaling too, if you or a tuner changed that make sure you change that on tephra’s patched ROM or that will be off as well. Do this for every single table in the entire ROM! If you do not check everything then you can miss something important and your car will either not run right or cause damage!

Make sure you copy over you Immobilizer! If you do not your car will not work!

Finally after you make all the changes (you should not have made any changes to your original ROM just copied everything from it to Tephra's modified ROM) save the file as whatever you want and flash it to your car. Start it up and enjoy NLTS!

If there are any questions please feel free to ask. Others that are familiar with this please feel free to try and help any questions as I am not on the forums that often during the day.

If there is anything I missed please tell me and I can update the how-to document!

~Zach

Last edited by phenem; Oct 9, 2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are the man for the computer illeterate, Thanks will try after work.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice writeup Phenem, made it nice and easy to understand. Now I have link to send people to as well
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Nicely done! I would just add something about saving the rom file at the end, kinda obvious I know. I always use my name and the date in my file name.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coffeeslug
Nicely done! I would just add something about saving the rom file at the end, kinda obvious I know. I always use my name and the date in my file name.
done....thanks for the input

I like helping people out it just got crazy answering the same questions for 2 weeks about the same mod!

This should help Tephra as well so he doesn't have to field all the questions, we can keep him rewriting/modding the code.....

~Zach
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holly crap

i just modified all my roms even my stockrom. i think? after the patch i got lost on the part where you open your current tune. i opened it all the patch numbers were messed up just like he said they would be. it's the next part i dont understand. i have the nlts when i open ecuflash. my current settings are all there. i dont understand having to move my info copy/paste. all of my flashes now have nlts. where did i go wrong?

Last edited by madmax4499; Oct 9, 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: hard to understand
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:54 PM

ok, i got it. dont forget to check every field. i got fuel cut. i forgot to change the boost limit over. i like this mod so far.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yes check every table! I said this in the post because there are things like boost cut and what not you have to disable. If you check all your "current flash" tables and make them the same in the modified rom you should be set.

Good work

~Zach
Old Oct 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned to check the scalings as well ... I nearly forgot to modify my boost control scalings.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I'm glad you mentioned to check the scalings as well ... I nearly forgot to modify my boost control scalings.
Biggest thing for most people is they forget the load scalings on the fuel and timing maps......mostly for people running something other than the stock turbo though....
Old Oct 9, 2007, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yay

thanks heaps Zach!!!

Just one thing - it is not necessary to seperate the scalings from the definition part in the XML - I just copy paste the whole block to the end of the ecuflash definition...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 05:08 PM

This Needs tobe stickied!!!!
Old Oct 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
yay

thanks heaps Zach!!!

Just one thing - it is not necessary to seperate the scalings from the definition part in the XML - I just copy paste the whole block to the end of the ecuflash definition...
No problem, its my way of giving back to help you and everyone else.....

I only have them copy in two places so its more readable as they put more and more mods on down the road. I am a computer programmer and we all know keeping things organized and documented is key....

~Zach
Old Oct 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

i was thinkint about doin somethin like this for all those people who needed help. you beat me to it. great job
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, glad you did this

Quick Reply: How to MOD your ROM with NLTS or others!