Notices
ECU Flash

“no response to any known code”

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
“no response to any known code”

This is an 05 RS that I’ve read from and written to previously (just 2 months ago!), a Tactrix 1.3 cable. The only change I’ve made since then is a new fuel pump, Walbro 255.

What I’ve tried so far.
  • Flashing the car after it’s fully warmed up/driven around
  • Hooking up a battery charger
  • A friend’s laptop and cable that he just successfully used on his car
  • Logging with mituslogger just to verify that the cable works; it works, I can log
  • EcuFlash 1.3
  • EcuFlash 1.29a, what I originally flashed with
  • Multiple uninstalls and reinstalls
  • Other peoples goofy techniques like turning the car on, and then loading ecuflash; or clicking okay, and then turning the car on; unplugging and replugging cables, restarting ecuflash, etc….
  • I even tried EcuUnlocker out of desparation

Last edited by coffeeslug; Jun 11, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the car runs, so its not a fuse issue, Its probably a problem with the white connector for the init not making a good connection.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, so I checked for continuity in the male end of the white connector, got it.
I checked for continuity in the female end in my car, got it.
"no response to any known code" is what I get in 1.29a.
"unable to connect to vehicle interface" is what I get in 1.3.
Also, not sure if this means anything, but I do NOT get prompted in v1.3 to plug in the cable and turn on the ignition and click okay like I do in 1.29a. I click on read or write and it immediately tries to connect. When my friend used his cable and laptop and v1.3, we got the prompts but we got the same "unable to connect to vehicle interface".
*scratches head*

I totally understand that the white connector might not be making good contact, but the continuity is there, and my friend's cable did not connect either.

Should I spit on the connector?

Last edited by coffeeslug; Jun 11, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that issue before.
I started the car and let it run for a few, shut down ecuflash and reconnected cables and tried again. It worked after that. I know it's not a solution, but ****ing around worked.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I continue to mess around with it. Tried about everything now. I guess I could pull the white connector from inside the car and directly connect the wire to my cable if that connection is the problem.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:48 PM

Are you running some other program (e.g. a logger) at the same time which is connecting to the Tactrix cable? This could cause EcuFlash to be able to detect the cable, but not be able to connect to it.

Colby
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats true, its possible two apps are competing for access to the cable.

Mitsulogger will not conflict with ECUFlash as long as you stop it from logging (it closes accessing the cable when its not logging) And I have run both in parallel without an issue. Others have given me trouble running both at the same time. In fact, it was one of the reasons I wrote my app the way I did, as when your tuning you typically want all your tools already running.

FWIW It sounds like your driver isn't installed properly or there's a major version conflict.

Do you have ANY other devices that you log with that also use the FTDI Chipset such as a USB/Serial adapter? (They will show up in the dropdown in mitsulogger) if it does, I had one occasion where ECUFlash saw the first device in the chain, which was not the Openport cable..

If you look in the lower right corner of ECUFlash, it will tell you what cable it detects, if it says no vehicle interface, or something other than some sort of "Openport" text, then its not detecting your cable.

Also, if your drivers are installed properly, and your sure of it, go into

c:\program files\OpenECU\ECUFLASH (this is where you installed the app by default)

Now, there should be 3 files in that directory..

ECUFlash.EXE
FTD2XX.DLL
Uninstall.EXE

Rename the FTD2XX.DLL file to FTD2XX.OLD

Now try it again, if it works, it means you have an older driver installed, and its incompatible with the new DLL, This happened to me on a very early version that didn't remove old openport drivers.

If it makes no difference, just change it back, and go into the drivers directory and install the proper drivers (x64 if you have XP64 or Vista X64) or x86 for win2k, winXP.. Go into the appropriate directory and run the DPINST.EXE program in that folder. It will force install the new drivers. (unplug your cable and close ecuflash) then plug in your cable after its done, it should now guide through an install again, verify the drivers install, sometimes it will give you a message that the driver has not been certified by microsoft, YOU MUST ALLOW IT TO INSTALL, otherwise cancelling or saying no, will result in no proper drivers installed.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

i had this issue a day ago....

tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ecuflash and .net 2.0 a few times... did nothing. reseated the flash cable a few times, nothing. finally realized my battery was low LOL. charged it and boom, connections fine!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I've developed the exact same problem. 1.30 can not connect to vehicle interface and 1.29a and earlier get no response to any known code. I really need to get this issue resolved as I have a completely different setup than what I previously tuned my car for.

-Paul
Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I'm afraid I did not. 5 different laptops, 2 different cables, 3 different people have tried. I took the car to the dealer to have the datalink port checked, and the tech there said it was working, my ecu was fine, and that the electrical system was fine. I was able to flash my car exactly 1 time! I have a 96940011 btw.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Mine worked fine for over a hundred flashes, now it doesn't work at all. I checked all my fuses and all my connections. Everything seems to look ok. Now I'm thinking I may just switch to AEM and be done with it.

-Paul
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if you tried a different ecu in your car, if it made a connection that would point to a problem with your ecu box itself. this would be of interest to everyone.

if not it leaves a whole can of worms smelling in the sun.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

I tried my computer and cable on another car and got the same error, so that narrowed it down to the computer and the cable. I installed EcuFlash 1.29 on my fiance's computer and still got the same error, so that eliminated my computer as the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone local with another tactrix cable for me to try so I ordered a new one last night. Hopefully my problem is just a cable that went bad.

-Paul
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coffeeslug
I'm afraid I did not. 5 different laptops, 2 different cables, 3 different people have tried. I took the car to the dealer to have the datalink port checked, and the tech there said it was working, my ecu was fine, and that the electrical system was fine. I was able to flash my car exactly 1 time! I have a 96940011 btw.
Weird. I have the same Rom. Not a single problem, ever. Must have flashed 200 times by now. I have used 1.29 and 1.3. The install went wrong on 1.3, but it was a directory thing, I eventually worked out. Never had any actual flash, cant connect or other errors. I would double check the white connector, the tech may have only checked the obd2 connector.

Contact Colby at tactrix.com, see if he'll swap it out for you, or test it for you if you send it to him. I see you are in Illinois, maybe you can get AMS to load the flash for you, or someone else local to you ??

Milburn

Last edited by wrcwannabe; Jun 13, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a com port issue on the laptop or a cable.

Quick Reply: “no response to any known code”