Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: Steering / Turning Technique
Push Pull Method
38.71%
Hand over Hand
29.03%
Single Hand
9.68%
Combination of 1-3
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Steering Techniques / Push Pull or Hand Over Hand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Steering Techniques / Push Pull or Hand Over Hand

Teaching my daughter how to drive & realized by wife has her steering hand over hand while making turns. Looks so wrong to me so Im teaching her the push pull method as I street & track drive

Curious what you guys normally do? Ive read the pros & cons & for me its push pull all the way

Give us your thoughts please

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Aug 16, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Joe

I strickly use the PP technique for street & tract driving. Dont get me started on my wifes habit of the reverse hand grip at the 12 O'clock
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Aug 23, 2016)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on what kind of driving I'm doing.

Long highway drive: 1 handed, usually one hand holding the bottom of the wheel.
Boring daily driving: Hand over hand
Driving with purpose: PP
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I usually do single handed, using my left..... thats because I hold my guiness with the right hand
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SlipAngle
It depends on what kind of driving I'm doing.

Long highway drive: 1 handed, usually one hand holding the bottom of the wheel.
Boring daily driving: Hand over hand
Driving with purpose: PP
Thanks for the comments. I never really gave it much thought until I started teaching my 15 year old.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
there was no option for not having a single hand, but everything else. i do all but the single hand, unless its necessary to leave the steering wheel with one hand.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Here in New Zealand it is technically illegal when sitting your test to have only 1 hand on the steering wheel and it becomes an instant failure. might pay to check in your state what the laws are around it?

personally i use push pull or single hand. push pull on the track and single hand on the road most of the time.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

I've been driving like that since I was 15. My mom used to yell at me all the time about the hand over hand. In my own mind I always that's ones hands could somehow get tangled.

I then learned that her method was a "no no" when drifting at my uncles shop parking lot.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Push pull works well on the road coarse or street but try some drifting or rally & it seems the technique can not but used entirely

Our own Rob to demonstrate

Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I would teach pull-push (which is often called "shuffle-steer") from Day 1 and ask your child to always use it. I look at this in the same way as left-foot braking, heel-and-toeing, etc, in that it needs to be a consistent habit or it won't be there when you need it.

As to steering (fast) with one hand in a rally car so that you can shift and/or use the hand-brake, this is one of the (main) reasons why rally cars have steering quickeners. One warning about having one of these: you need to warn people when you let them drive your car.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:27 PM

Never cross your hands I was taught
Old Jan 6, 2015, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nuri_05
Never cross your hands I was taught
That's correct, but it's too focused on one consequence of doing it wrong. If you concentrate on always being able to turn the wheel in either direction, without any delay, then your hands will not cross. This is why the second hand is sliding (or shuffling), rather than releasing completely and moving; the second hand should be able to suddenly clamp and turn the wheel back in the opposite direction. You never know when a little counter-steer will be needed, even on pavement.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i dont like stepping on the wheel. I like to feel the tire and the road interaction continuously. I ty to release the wheel only when i really need to. Even when i sliding on my hand on teh wheel i still trry to do it firmly so i can feel or react asap when i need too.

But i am not sure my steering wheel work is a best to watch for this . LOL

(ps: i do not have steering quicken-er, i am still on OEM set up, only the steering wheel been changed, although many many rally cars have them. But also many of them actually using a larger diameter steering wheel))
Old Jan 7, 2015, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I actually do hand over hand cause thats what i'm use to. At tracks I do push pull but thats if I need turn hard, most turns don't need u to push pull much (i've only done autox). When driving for my job they stress push pull so I use that all the time when at work and only hand over hand for a TIGHT quick turn. Really its what ever I am comfortable with most at the time.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
(ps: i do not have steering quicken-er, i am still on OEM set up, only the steering wheel been changed, although many many rally cars have them. But also many of them actually using a larger diameter steering wheel))
This raises an important point for anyone considering getting a quickener: install the quickener before deciding on the new wheel. You may find that you need the extra lever-arm of an OE-sized wheel after the quickener is installed, especially if the car is ever driven on pavement. I drove a car with a quickener and a small wheel at an autocross that required multiple up- and down-shifts. I'm not strong, but I'm not weak, either. I had a terrible time steering one-handed while shifting. The only solution was to keep the revs up so that the power steering was always at full strength to help me. Ended up with sore muscles the next day all down my left side.

Quick Reply: Steering Techniques / Push Pull or Hand Over Hand