Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

weird driving technique?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird driving technique?

So Ive had my evo x for about 5 years now and barely beginning to doubt my driving technique. Theres a acouple of things that ive been doing that might seem weird. But of course my main concern is am i doing any damage to the car? First of I dont hardly ever slip the clutch. I know its hard to believe and explain. Im at 53k now on the stock clutch. But now and then I see myself jerking the car or feels like jerking because I dont slip the clutch. Is that a bad thing? Second my car back fires a lot. Now before the flame beginning I dont like it either. And yes my car is tuned. I notice that it only happens when im not hard on the gas but the way im driving, like a grandma. I baby the evo like its my first car. By babying the car I mean shifting at 2k or less. And thats when it backfires. I dont like to shift pass 3k cause it burns a lot of gas when i do. Is that a bad thing? Ill probably get the drive it like you stole but I love this car and I want to keep it forever if I can. Any advice or comments are welcome. Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:28 AM

do you have aftermarket bov?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

No. So having an aftermarket bov cause problems?

Originally Posted by bestfromnw
do you have aftermarket bov?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
X's tend to backfire a lot when you have a test pipe, regardless of driving technique. What are your mods?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I have a test pipe. I figure the test pipe will do that but is it safe for the turbo?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

If you are back firing you most likely have and issue with your tune. After market BOV's are fine, and better if set to Recirc. Maybe think about getting a Hi Flow Cat.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't say there are any issues with your tune...I have been tuned both on Accessport and open source by one of the best in the business, and I still backfire regularly. It's just part of having this car...enjoy the ride. Once you start replacing exhaust components, especially the test pipe, it is common. LOTS of people have the same thing.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

ok stupid question where is the backfiring coming from, i mean where does it occur? the turbo? if its before the turbo it cant be good right?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
ok stupid question where is the backfiring coming from, i mean where does it occur? the turbo? if its before the turbo it cant be good right?
I guess before I say anything further, I should clarify by "backfire" you are referring to pops from the exhaust when you shift gears, or push the clutch in after acceleration, correct? If you're talking about backfiring around the turbo, I'd have to defer to someone with a lot more knowledge than me haha
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would go bonker riding with anyone that doesn't slip the clutch! Not even a little bit?
Old May 1, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slip the clutch... your driveline will thank you.. the bit of slop in CV joints, driveshaft, diffs, etc... ALL will thank you for slipping the clutch (that is designed to be slipped a small amount...)
Old May 1, 2014, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do professional athletes maintain their tip top performance...practice and excerising their bodies, not sitting around worrying about getting hurt.

The same goes for your car. When it is designed to be driven aggressively and with enthusiasm and you do along with proper maintaince your car will last as long as your keep it. If you don't things wear differently from the lack of "exercise".

I'm a certified master porsche technician and the cars that are kept in bubbles leak oil and have the strangest problems. The ones that are tracked and properly maintained run like champs and last a long time. Moral of the story. Enjoy you car the way it was meant to be. And please for the love of God slip the clutch. It's a wear item designed to reduce driveline shock.

Cheers,

CB
The following users liked this post:
donny_utah (Jul 16, 2017)
Old May 1, 2014, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Best advise ever

Originally Posted by mouseIX
How do professional athletes maintain their tip top performance...practice and excerising their bodies, not sitting around worrying about getting hurt.

The same goes for your car. When it is designed to be driven aggressively and with enthusiasm and you do along with proper maintaince your car will last as long as your keep it. If you don't things wear differently from the lack of "exercise".

I'm a certified master porsche technician and the cars that are kept in bubbles leak oil and have the strangest problems. The ones that are tracked and properly maintained run like champs and last a long time. Moral of the story. Enjoy you car the way it was meant to be. And please for the love of God slip the clutch. It's a wear item designed to reduce driveline shock.

Cheers,

CB
Old May 26, 2014, 11:23 PM

Nothing in the driveline has any slip EXCEPT for the clutch. It is made to do it. That's like tuning your engine to run lean and save you gas-- short term gain but it's not very good for anything. Slip it to the point that it won't bog once out. No clunking. Much more than that is excess, but probably not bad. Again, we're talking about modern cars here with 100+ years of clutch technology in them. They're made to slip.

2000rpm is REALLY low. You may be saving some fuel that way, but most cars aren't even running closed loop at that RPM, so your engine is "guessing" on fueling. I work at a school that used to run the Evo training program. Those engines are happiest between 3000-5000rpm, and you're not wearing anything by getting them buzzy. Just make sure you only do it once your oil temp is up.

Engines go through a lot of physical changes when full throttle and higher RPM is applied. mousIX is right when he says it is sometimes good for the engine to put them through their paces every once in a while.