Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

20th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Im really hoping to make it out this year. What a better time with it being the 20th anniversary also
The 20th is going to be (I hate this word but I'm going to use it) epic. The event for this year is really advancing into a bigger/better event. In the past it's been a dyno day Saturday and drags Sunday. Last year we had an unofficial dyno day Friday, autocross Saturday and drags Sunday.

This year will be officially three full days. Friday the streets in our town will be shut down, car show dyno competition here at the shop on Friday. Saturday will be a full sized autocross course at the track plus the Max Effort Drags and the first round of qualifying for all the classes on Saturday and some "night" racing. Camping will be allowed at the track again this year. Sunday is drags all day long.

I also fully expect the autocross/Max Effort classes to double in size as the interest has boomed in those areas and I expect the quickest and fastest fields of all times. It's really going to be something, it's always grown and this year I think it's going to be an even larger growth than years past.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by getsideways
I assumed that was a sponsored car or someone else driving, thats very cool here i thought you only knew how to make a car go straight.

Do you happen to remember the times off your max effort runs from last year I presume your car is a 10 flat car on street tires, How close total time was the second place finisher?
There are a lot of people who think that, I'm not sure why, maybe I don't spend enough time taking pictures of the car and bragging about racing. I will leave that for other shops.

Fact is I got the bug to try road racing after we built the Magnum and Robert Fuller drove for us. I started with NASA about 3-4 years ago in HPDE1 and moved up quickly and got my TT license. I use a NA V6, 2006 Eclipse. The first time we ran the Magnum at Mid Ohio with Robert in it the car ran a 1:38 on the Pro Course, that was on 10" wide Hoosiers and 400+ whp. It was the quickest TT car of the weekend, bar none. I ran a 1:39.8 with the Eclipse at Nationals this year and hold the Pro and Club course records there in TTD. Anyway, ends up I am a pretty decent road racer....who'd have thought.

The Max Effort from last year I don't remember but I think if you look in the review of the 18th Annual it may be there. I SUCK drag racing, I have Kevin drive the car. In Max Effort the same driver is required and MUST own the car too. I ran my quickest ever pass in my car last year, at 10.20. I was .7 slower than the top guy in the Autocross. I did win my Max Effort class but the margin of victory was only a few tenths of a second. There were a few spots divided by hundredths of a second.

Everyone is stepping their game up each year, this year will be no different. Actually, expect some totally sick **** for this year!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johntsi
Ever consider combining the 2 Eliminator classes? They are unlimited on engine power modifications it seems so cars should be able to be built to compete with each other. May help give more time to get through the elimination rounds too.
You mean the DSM and EVO Eliminator Classes? No, never even crossed my mind to do that. Both classes have good turn outs, DSM's are substantially lighter and more aerodynamic and with the auto's also being available in them I see no sense in doing that. Give the opportunity for more winners and money to be collected by racers with two good classes too.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Stoked about this years Shootout! This will be my third year in a row. Had issues last August with the car but it was still a great time. Thats the cool thing about the shootout. If you have problems with your car and your out, at least theres still a lot of action happening.

Car will be ready to rock 100 percent this shootout! I like how its a 3 day event now. Im going to get out there Thursday night this time!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

I am NOT missing the 20th Shootout damn it! ToxicFab crew will be there!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I have called off that Thursday through Monday.

Can't wait!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
There are a lot of people who think that, I'm not sure why, maybe I don't spend enough time taking pictures of the car and bragging about racing. I will leave that for other shops.

Fact is I got the bug to try road racing after we built the Magnum and Robert Fuller drove for us. I started with NASA about 3-4 years ago in HPDE1 and moved up quickly and got my TT license. I use a NA V6, 2006 Eclipse. The first time we ran the Magnum at Mid Ohio with Robert in it the car ran a 1:38 on the Pro Course, that was on 10" wide Hoosiers and 400+ whp. It was the quickest TT car of the weekend, bar none. I ran a 1:39.8 with the Eclipse at Nationals this year and hold the Pro and Club course records there in TTD. Anyway, ends up I am a pretty decent road racer....who'd have thought.

The Max Effort from last year I don't remember but I think if you look in the review of the 18th Annual it may be there. I SUCK drag racing, I have Kevin drive the car. In Max Effort the same driver is required and MUST own the car too. I ran my quickest ever pass in my car last year, at 10.20. I was .7 slower than the top guy in the Autocross. I did win my Max Effort class but the margin of victory was only a few tenths of a second. There were a few spots divided by hundredths of a second.

Everyone is stepping their game up each year, this year will be no different. Actually, expect some totally sick **** for this year!
It would be interesting to see an true autox car compete that was fairly quick down the 1/4 to see which would come out on top, problem is most autox guys drive miatas or nearly stock cars, Maybe me and a friend will bring one of our evos out and give it a crack, it sounds like the event your planning this year is more to my liking especially with the full parking lot autox.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also congrats on the track records, And its cool to see you everyday 10 second car be able to autox at least a little
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to this years shootout! Sad to say it will be my first year ever being able to make it there. But i will be there with my car and all! Looks like a hell of a time, Looking forward to some drag racing!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Already got my vacation in. I'm going to give max effort another try and am looking forward to a full auto x course. Dave I hope your right about doubling in size.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious on the dyno day Dave, no Stock Turbo class? i see you have stock appearing, so if i wanted to compete would it have to be in that since i have a stock turbo or not allowed to compete at all. No big deal if i couldnt. Just didnt know if you had considered it at all?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I've always ran ESA in the past Shootouts, so I'm curious about the EE class. Will full slicks be allowed in EE, or do we have to stick to a DOT tire?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
I've always ran ESA in the past Shootouts, so I'm curious about the EE class. Will full slicks be allowed in EE, or do we have to stick to a DOT tire?
DOT Bias Ply or radial is ok. No slicks in EE.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by getsideways
Also congrats on the track records, And its cool to see you everyday 10 second car be able to autox at least a little
Jarrod Hoops and Dave Sutton are typically at the Shootout and both ran the course you are poking at last year. This particular race neither one competed at. When both of them were there I placed third behind them in the autocross. If you aren't familar with who those two are or how fast they are check them out. Placing right behind them in my car is an accomplishment.

Also, as a BTW, my car actually runs 9.0 at 159 mph, just needs Kevin in it and slicks, no other changes at all. So my everyday 9.04 second car autocrosses too
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GGevo921
Just curious on the dyno day Dave, no Stock Turbo class? i see you have stock appearing, so if i wanted to compete would it have to be in that since i have a stock turbo or not allowed to compete at all. No big deal if i couldnt. Just didnt know if you had considered it at all?
There is no way to check each turbo and see what it is. So it's Stock Appearing, so FP Reds/Blacks etc.

Quick Reply: 20th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout