Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Drag race suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag race suspension setup?

I am not talking about certain products so keep names of any suspension out of this thread.

Can someone please explain to me what is the best setup for drag racing. When I say setup I mean loose/stiff in the rear or loose/stiff in the front.

I am clueless as to what stiffness setting is the best for drag racing. I know when the weight of the car transfers you want the car to react a certain way, but for an AWD what is the best?

Just to give you an idea on what I have done to help... I have installed lighter wheels and lighter two piece rotors to help with the weight saving at the front wheels. I also plan on doing the rotors for the rear later this year to help save some weight for the rear wheels. I also installed a nice coilover setup that seems to weigh less than the stock suspension.

Currently I have both front and rear set to a half turn back from the stiffest setting. What is the best for an AWD car and what would make the car transfer the weight to benefit my lauches and help lower my 60'?

Any expert help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 29, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody? CB, AMS, Buschur, TT, somebody throw a brother a bone.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
dude... calm down... stop cluttering your own thread.

here's a few things on drag race sus tuning.

firstly flat is fastest... that means you want the least about of camber change with ANY type of chassis movement.

second, you want to take care of the squat... squat takes traction off your front wheels. learn from the ff drag racers in this respect. you don't HAVE to get training wheels in the back to accomplish this... but you DO have to know about squat and dive chassis tuning. certain types, shapes and points of bracing will basically get you teh same results.

you don't want stiff as a solid rod. some flex is good, that said you need to have SOME adjustability, mainly because if you transfer weight too fast you lose out on some traction. just like if your roll bars are too hard you get loose in turns.

next, you need to take care of ride height and how much pitch you have. i'm not sure of WHICH geometries are best and certainly not which are best for awd...
Old May 30, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I hate to bring up and old thread, but my car is almost finished so I wanted to see if anybody eles had any input on this.

Originally Posted by trinydex
dude... calm down... stop cluttering your own thread.
Cluttering? What the hell are you talking about? I bumped my own thread 1 time!

Originally Posted by trinydex
here's a few things on drag race sus tuning.

firstly flat is fastest... that means you want the least about of camber change with ANY type of chassis movement.

second, you want to take care of the squat... squat takes traction off your front wheels. learn from the ff drag racers in this respect. you don't HAVE to get training wheels in the back to accomplish this... but you DO have to know about squat and dive chassis tuning. certain types, shapes and points of bracing will basically get you teh same results.

you don't want stiff as a solid rod. some flex is good, that said you need to have SOME adjustability, mainly because if you transfer weight too fast you lose out on some traction. just like if your roll bars are too hard you get loose in turns.

next, you need to take care of ride height and how much pitch you have. i'm not sure of WHICH geometries are best and certainly not which are best for awd...
You seem to know the lingo, but the post you made didn't help me out one bit.

Can somebody else take a shot at explaining this a little better.
Old May 31, 2006, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

you bumped your own thread one time... exactly.. there was only 4 threads in this section of the forum.

what is hard to understand about what i said?

flat is fastest you want to stay as flat as possible on launch and acceleration.

how do you do that?

first you minimize camber angle changes under chassis loads. this gives maximum contact patch on all tires.

then you minimize squat on acceleration. the ff drivers know all about this. hence the running of cheater bars or training wheels in the back of drag race civics.

this is not the only way to tune out squat, you can also brace the chassis in certain ways to do this. you'll have to figure those out for yourself though, because they come as VERY USEFUL information and i don't know of anyone that has yet shared it.

you can make your suspension really stiff... but you don't want it TOO stiff. why? cuz too fast of a load transfer will make you lose some traction.

you want to have a certain amount of forward pitch on your drag race setup to also minimize squat and properly load your rear wheels (so that the rears don't load up too fast). also lower is better but you need a good amount of travel because you don't want to bottom out.

is that better?
Old May 31, 2006, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Much better! Thanks!

That "VERY USEFUL" stuff you were referring to is also what I was looking for, but since its not "shared information" I guess I'll try and figure it out on my own.

I thought that's what the Advanced technical section was for, to be REAL technical. lol

When does class start for Advanced technical suspension part II? lol
Old May 31, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

you could try hondatech and searching for anti squat or anti dive. the concepts for ff are the same as fawd. you might run into some awd specific situations but the ideas should lead you in the right direction.

the thing is antisquat chassis tuning should be the last thing you're concerned about, the other things will get your there about 80% of the way.
Old May 31, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, if you can get suspension that drops the front slightly, stiffens the rear compression and stiffens the front rebound and get it aligned properly (Probably align the rear with alot more weight than is there at level position... that way when it squats it stays flat longer). That would give you more than enough suspension than you will need.
Old May 31, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

i agree... you won't need the chassis squat tuning until you go somewhere with aero