Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Carrito.Net/AMS EVO X on DSPORT Magazine (Oct 08)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrito.Net/AMS EVO X on DSPORT Magazine (Oct 08)

Ten For Ten
The First Evo X In The 10s
Text by Richard Fong
Photos by Luis Arroyo

Puerto Rico is the jewel of the Caribbean. Known for sand, surf and rum, this US commonwealth is a vacation hot spot. But a lesser known fact about Puerto Rico is that drag racing reigns supreme. Blasting the quarter mile is still a favorite pastime for many Puerto Rican racing enthusiasts.

When Mitsubishi released the highly-anticipated Evolution X, Johnny Fargas was among the first in line to buy one. At the time, the Evo X was brand new and few performance parts were available. Undaunted, Fargas began his quest to take the Evo X to a higher level.

Breath Easier, Run Faster

The new 4B11T engine holds a great deal of promise. Fargas elected to build upon the unmodified longblock and explore its capabilities. The first step was to increase the capacity of the turbo system. Starting with the stock manifold, Artec ported the factory manifold to increase the volume of exhaust gas going to the turbine. Then the manifold received a ceramic-metallic coating by Turbo Coatings. This process keeps exhaust gas heat inside the manifold and ensures that the exhaust gases have the greatest velocity on the way to the turbine inlet. The stock TD05H turbocharger comes from the factory capable of handling 360 horsepower, with a ball-bearing cartridge and a titanium-aluminum alloy turbine wheel. Starting at the turbocharger, Fargas looked to his friends at Yiyito Turbo for assistance. The responsive turbo sacrifices top end power for a quick spool up; therefore to reduce the backpressure in the turbine, Yiyito Turbo ported the turbine housing. The increased volume allows for increased exhaust gas flow. From the turbine housing, Ultimate Racing's stainless-steel downpipe channels spent gases to the AMS stainless-steel exhaust. On the compressor side, fresh air is drawn through an AMS cold-air intake system. Once compressed, the air charge flows through an AMS hard pipe en route to the AMS front-mount intercooler. The charge pipe brings the chilled air to the throttle body and intake manifold.

Powering Into The Tens

To supply additional fuel for the increased volume of air coming into the engine, a 255 lph in-tank fuel pump and an Aeromotive fuel-pressure regulator replaced the stock units. With the necessary volume of fuel available, the factory injectors received new duty-cycle instructions from the EcuTek-tuned factory ECU. A Hallman manual boost controller holds the boost steady at 32 psi as the remapped fuel and ignition curves help the 4B11T engine spin the drums of the Dynojet dynamometer. Through the AWD driveline, the Evo X generated 438 horsepower and a neck-snapping 453 lb-ft of torque.

Clamps And Rollers

Pushing the stock clutch to its limit, the decision was made to upgrade the driveline with an ACT heavy-duty clutch. Now able to efficiently turn the wheels, addressing traction issues became the next task. Adjustable BC coilovers featuring 8 kgf/mm springs in front and 6 kgf/mm springs in the rear now drop the CZ4A chassis. This more aggressive stance better prepared the Evo X for both the street and the strip. For the street, Advan RGII wheels in an 18x9-inch offering mounted with 265/35R18 Falken FK452 tires take their place in the wheel wells. When visiting the track, a lightweight set of Buddy Club P1 Racing SF 17x7-inch rollers equipped with Mickey Thompson 26x7-inch slicks ensure launch traction for quarter-mile sprints.

For more on this article and more grab a copy of DSport Magazine on newsstands and tuning shops nationwide!

Old Sep 6, 2008, 07:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really nice P.R.

big fan of that Carrito

i hope when i go out there to see my granpa, and my wifes famiy, hope to hang out
Old Sep 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

whatever happen to them backing up that 10 sec run to actually see if the car runs 10s consistantally cause there was a big argument on here about that race cause of the video they posted shows the staging lights messed up which would cause a false et time.

Just wanted to see if that was ever cleared up or if they ever ran a "10sec" time again?????
Old Sep 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1badgsex
whatever happen to them backing up that 10 sec run to actually see if the car runs 10s consistantally cause there was a big argument on here about that race cause of the video they posted shows the staging lights messed up which would cause a false et time.

Just wanted to see if that was ever cleared up or if they ever ran a "10sec" time again?????
The car did 11.3 (sliping clutch) at 120 mph at another track, since then we installed new pistons and several other parts, so we have not really tried to to do 10 again after that, and the argument was cleared up by several people, some decided not to accepted, that is ok I guess, we'll try once more after we are done with it.

Johnny Fargas / Carrito.Net
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by carrito.net
The car did 11.3 (sliping clutch) at 120 mph at another track, since then we installed new pistons and several other parts, so we have not really tried to to do 10 again after that, and the argument was cleared up by several people, some decided not to accepted, that is ok I guess, we'll try once more after we are done with it.

Johnny Fargas / Carrito.Net

i hear u on the "haters" on here when u are proud of yourself or give yourself a pat on the back for accomplishing something good or help in accomplishing someting u can almost always count on someone on here to put u down or call u a liar or just straight up "HATE" on u for doing something good!!! i hate that about this fourm, ive never been apart of a fourm with so many negitive ppl who are supposed to be helping each other out instead they hate on eachother!!!

BUT ANYWAY not to go offtopic your car is beautiful and congrats on your "milestone" in going 10's and hope u go faster with the new build
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats Johnny!!!

The car looks just AMAZING! I have that rolling shot as my background right now.

Eric
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

my favorite
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Esta Cabron! , great job !
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rg II Ftw
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hot dam
Old Sep 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks... for the compliments!

BTW: AMS FTMFW!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Got any hi res pictures? I want one for my background :P
Old Sep 9, 2008, 02:47 PM

that is some real talented and amazing photography. great shots. pics are soo clear