Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How do u race an automatic lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do u race an automatic lancer?

I was wondering do u guys put it in drive and just hit the gas or do u go from L to 2 to 3 ? Or what are those for?
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Drive. I use to race my auto toyota tacoma by 1,2,3,D, but people have said that it is bad. So I have never done it in my Lancer, maybe just rev it in nuetral in beggining then slam it into drive and let the car do the work! Haha!

And in my Tacoma, my manifold got cracked a little bit, I on't know how, so it could have been from this?
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:54 PM
DaD

I tried is but i went by feel meaning when you know you are going to redline i took my foot off for a split second to let it shift but is was not like my camaro, obviously the camaro had a stronger torque converter.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

I just slam on the gas
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

umm race? in an automatic? i guess just mashing on the gas. or power brake it. there isn't really a lot you can do.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:30 PM

lol aiyo, not hard, foot on gas all way down, then hold til ur done. Dont go from neutral to drive, not good for tranny. I hear from some people u can go 1, 2, 3, then D and it helps a lil bit but iono if it's bad fo ur ride or not, juss push the gas all the way down and u'll be aiite. hehe, i used to nuetral drop in my old car a grip before i sold it fo my lancer hehe i doubt the old ryde is very happy wit me now, but i never have to see the ugly white POS again so i don't care.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pumpdog720
maybe just rev it in nuetral in beggining then slam it into drive and let the car do the work! Haha!
That will screw your tranny up real nice. Testament to shifting from 1-D:

My mods - intake, testpipe, axleback exhaust.
Winner's mods - intake, welded muffler.

He shifted and I didn't. I got spanked 3 times and converted. I drop the car into 1 and rev up to about 2500 rpm while holding the brake down. Once it's go time, let the brake go for your launch. I shift up to 2 right around 5500 rpm, which basically forces the car to get to the rev limiter at 5900 before it shifts up, keeping you in the power band much better than just gassing it in D. Same procedure when going from 2 to 3, just wait till about 5500 then click up a notch. Dunno if this damages the tranny, since it's not redlining the car; more like persuading the car to get into and stay in the power band above 4000 rpms.

On a side note, I think a safer method would be to disconnect your battery and reset the ecu, then "relearn" the adaptive shifting by flooring the car until it shifts up to 4th. That should give you the same shift points as would manu-shifting from 1-3.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't feel safe resetting the ECU, I think the automatic tranny will learn how to shift aggresively if you drive hard for about 30 to 40 min.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Race it to the dealer and trade for a manual.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 06:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I drive up, rev and then floor it...leaving the AT in the dust. j/p.

Moving to driving techniques though. Please post in the most appropriate forum.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 06:25 AM

"How do u race an automatic lancer?"

Well.. You DON'T.
You buy an EVOLUTION!!!!!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by OZ_03
Race it to the dealer and trade for a manual.
I came on this thread to say that !!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

I wanted a manual - but I went and bought my car by myself and I had only driving stick once on a 2001 F250 Diesel Powerstroke truck - completely different....damn

I thought the car adjusts to your style of driving within 10 minutes of you driving it
Old Jul 2, 2003, 07:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The ECU will adapt, and it may even START to adapt that quickly, but I think 10 minutes is way too fast for a complete change. Even the MT ECU's take longer than that to adjust (obviously not in regards to shift points but in general).
Old Jul 2, 2003, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

ok look please no one say just dump it from neutral oh my god if you wanna screw your car sideways then by all means otherwise read a thread about reprogramming your auto tranny the best launch your ever gonna get is by rev'n up to about 1.5-2grand wile braking and then just let off the brake and put the pedal to the metal

and for those who think that auto's are worse than sticks, your right but your wrong. if an auto is tuned properly and doesn't come on an econobox like a lancer it is usually better than any stick no matter how fast the shifts are or how good the person diriving it is

if you have an auto and want to get out of the 18's in the 1/4 buy a new torque converter from www.levelten.com this will make your chirp your tires while shifting into second (i hear)

Quick Reply: How do u race an automatic lancer?