Notices

Fog Lights w/ High Beams

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights w/ High Beams

Does anyone know how to make the fog lights work along with the highbeams? I know that there is another forum where they asked about the guidelights and fogs, but are those two systems interconnected or would there be a relay that needs to be added to the high beam circuit? Thanks for the help.

-Bryan
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you want to do that? Idiots who drive with their high beams on and blind others on the road are one of my biggest peeves. Right above idiots who don't signal before changing lanes.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have mine wired so I can have both high beams and fogs on at the same time. There are several other threads about this, but I'll post it again. The simplest way to do it is to run a wire from terminal #3 (terminals 2 & 4 will read +12v all the time, and terminal 1 will read 0ohms to ground. #3 will read 0v and open circuit) on the foglight relay to a switch in the cabin, and from the switch to ground. All you're doing is taking control of the foglight relay away from the front-ECU and giving it to a toggle switch.

It's nice when you're out in the middle of nowhere to have the highs and fogs on at the same time. The highs throw the light out a long way, and the fogs fill in the area just in front of and to the sides of the car.

Idiots who flash their high beams at me when I'm driving around with my low beams on are one of my peeves. They are the ones who get blinded by the light.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz

It's nice when you're out in the middle of nowhere to have the highs and fogs on at the same time. The highs throw the light out a long way, and the fogs fill in the area just in front of and to the sides of the car.
Thanks, Im gonna hop on that. And ^ that is what im talking bout wanting it for, theres allot of fog down here on some of the backroads I take, plus i have to make a few trips out to the coast every other day, so that is why I would like it.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well thats how i have my aftermarket fogs setup, just remember that it's not legal to have highbeams on and foglights on at the same time...
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
Well thats how i have my aftermarket fogs setup, just remember that it's not legal to have highbeams on and foglights on at the same time...
It is legal, as long as you turn the high beams off for oncoming traffic.

I was told years ago that you had to have at least 2, but no more than 4 forward-facing white or yellow headlights or foglights. I went looking for the statute that specified what the lighting requirements are in my state, and only found mention of having at least two, how they must be arranged, and that they must be selectable between high and low beam.

There was NO mention of highs and fogs being illegal. YMMV, though, that was just in Wisconsin.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

I remember from another forum here in florida you have to have 2, but no more then...7, I think that law makers are on crack when they make some laws.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ahnospell44
I remember from another forum here in florida you have to have 2, but no more then...7, I think that law makers are on crack when they make some laws.
Nope, it's 4 in FL. I think I'll go back and check WI again.

316.2396 Number of driving lamps required or permitted.--

(1) At all times specified in s. 316.217, at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

(2) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps, as herein required, is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Found the relevant code for WI. It specifies that you can't have more than 2 fog lights, but you can have 2 headlights, 2 fogs, and 2 spotlights, and can have them all on at once under certain conditions.

347.26 Restrictions on certain optional lighting equipment.

(1) GENERAL RESTRICTIONS. A vehicle need not be
equipped with the lamps specified in this section, but if a vehicle
is equipped with any such lamps, no person shall operate such
vehicle on a highway during hours of darkness unless such lamps
comply with the requirements of this section and no person shall
use such lamps in a manner inconsistent with this section.

(2) SPOTLAMPS. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with
not more than 2 spotlamps.
(b) No spotlamp shall be used as a substitute for headlamps.
No spotlamp shall be used as an auxiliary driving light on any
motor vehicle except when such spotlamp is set or adjusted so that
the rays of light are projected directly upon the road surface at a
distance not exceeding 150 feet directly in front of the vehicle and
to the right of the center of the traveled roadway. No spotlamp
shall project any glaring light into the eyes of an approaching
driver.

(3) ADVERSE WEATHER LAMPS. (a) Any motor vehicle may be
equipped with not more than 2 adverse weather lamps which shall
be mounted on the front of the vehicle below the level of the centers
of the headlamps.
(b) Adverse weather lamps shall not be used in lieu of headlamps
unless absolutely necessary
in case of rain, snow, dust or
fog and then only when a vehicle is equipped with 2 adverse
weather lamps mounted on opposite sides of the front of the
vehicle and when both such adverse weather lamps are lighted.
Whenever any vehicle is equipped with only one adverse weather
lamp, both headlamps of such vehicle shall be lighted at all times
when such adverse weather lamp is lighted
Old May 1, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Reminds me of the classic WRC with the huge fog lights on the front of the old evo's those would be pretty cool, just you couldnt use them atleast not down here anyways, thanks guys, and thanks for closing an old myth for down here that was always up in the air
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:12 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I want to do this with my Evo 9 MR, I have HID's in the foglights now and I plan on doing HID's in my highbeams as well. Can anyone post some photos with these instructions that will make it easier to follow? Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
I have mine wired so I can have both high beams and fogs on at the same time. There are several other threads about this, but I'll post it again. The simplest way to do it is to run a wire from terminal #3 (terminals 2 & 4 will read +12v all the time, and terminal 1 will read 0ohms to ground. #3 will read 0v and open circuit) on the foglight relay to a switch in the cabin, and from the switch to ground. All you're doing is taking control of the foglight relay away from the front-ECU and giving it to a toggle switch.

Idiots who flash their high beams at me when I'm driving around with my low beams on are one of my peeves. They are the ones who get blinded by the light.

Myz can you roll with just the fogs on and nothing else?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Myz can you roll with just the fogs on and nothing else?
Yes, but I never would. If it was dark enough for me to need to have a light on, I'd at least have my parking lights on, too.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

just a side note but i think hi beams are less efficient or even counter productive in fog so watch out also usually here in va we flash if there is a cop or speed trap up ahead i used to get agitated too untill i got saved form like 2 def reckless tickets... at the very least it flashing just gets me attentive again even if the blood does boil a little