Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

First test intake manifold (lots a pics)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First test intake manifold (lots a pics)

Well here is the beta version of my new intake manifold. I need to modify the plenum a decent amount and the runners slightly but it is getting close. Figured I would share it for everyone:

Some more pics are at:

http://www.thedrunken.com/gallery/ma...2_itemId=18930

I will be hopefully making the second version shortly and testing it out. Once I get the design the way I want it I will post up the results of how it performs compared to the Magnus sheetmetal and the Stock Manifold. I dont have one of AMS' or the HKS one so I cant compare it to those but this design is actually using CFD modelling for thermal dynamics as well as flow so it should technically be about as good as you could get within reason and simple design concepts and to ensure it will bolt up without a bunch of new piping or throttlebodies.

Again this one is just a simple test idea so nothing on this one is the exact way I want it but once done I will be able to make manifolds that are designed for different peak TQs without much changing. I will also be able to put on whatever type of throttlebody flange I want.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice. Keep us informed on the progress.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hook me up with one when you done ok ?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

very nice..seems like you've done your homework!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Trinababe,

Integrate that design into E machine shop and a prototype will show up at your door in a couple of days. It is the coolest thing!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
Trinababe,

Integrate that design into E machine shop and a prototype will show up at your door in a couple of days. It is the coolest thing!
E-Machine will charge a decent amount for them unless I buy 1000+. I have one of those know a guy that knows a guy that can make me the first few flanges and velocity stacks for testing for very cheap. I also have a guy that knows a guy that can use a 3D printer and crap a few out that way. Once I finish it up Ill let you guys know about it

The manifolds wont be ready for a decent amount of time. I still need to finish the design and get some flanges made up. Once I make the first few I will put them on some of my cars and testing them compared to other one manifolds. After I am satisfied with my results I will talk with some vendors to have them test them out also.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
:subscribes:
interesting work... keep us posted!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
E-Machine will charge a decent amount for them unless I buy 1000+. I have one of those know a guy that knows a guy that can make me the first few flanges and velocity stacks for testing for very cheap. I also have a guy that knows a guy that can use a 3D printer and crap a few out that way. Once I finish it up Ill let you guys know about it

The manifolds wont be ready for a decent amount of time. I still need to finish the design and get some flanges made up. Once I make the first few I will put them on some of my cars and testing them compared to other one manifolds. After I am satisfied with my results I will talk with some vendors to have them test them out also.
Make sure the person who is doing the rapid prototyping uses a plastic (if he is using plastic) that is resistant to solvents. What program did you use for the CFD analysis?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by f-dub
Make sure the person who is doing the rapid prototyping uses a plastic (if he is using plastic) that is resistant to solvents. What program did you use for the CFD analysis?
I am trying to find out if our 3d printing guy could use something that would be tough enough to slap it on a car for real testing.

I currently use SolidWorks, Fluent and FloWizard for the design and testing.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

so is that cone restricted to the main plenum? i can see wanting to get a uniform pressure distrubution, but the last thing you want is a pressure drop across the plenum. any idea of what the pressure drop is? i know fluent can do pressure pulsing, have you tried it yet? looks interesting. the first thing you are going to want to do is flow bench it to see if the numbers correspond. from my first glance, it looks like you are going to choke that channel between the cone and the rest of the plenum. what is the volume of the plenum? and the length of the runners? did you tune then to any certain RPM? making intakes are very interesting using CFD. CFD is very hard to get useful info out of... this year we decided to use CFD second and build a few different designs first.... using CFD to optimize later.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

That is why this is the first beta

Yes there is a huge pressure drop with that model. I just used the pics to show nifty colors mainly. This was the first design, we our on our third which is getting very close. The plenum is completely redesigned on the latest models.

Here is a visual pic of the pressure drop of that design:

There is always going to be a pressure drop in the runners if you are trying to increase the intake velocity but you obviously dont want a huge drop going into the main plenum.

The flow is not smooth enough to hit the first and last runner on that model either so we redesigned some of it to help grab the air sooner... it was difficult because increasing the pressure up top would help force the air down to the first runners but would make it harder to flow for the last runners.

As for the tuning of the manifold, yes, it could be considered a "tuned intake". However, with forced induction this reall wont give you much if tuning with the wave concept considering that is designed to technically build "boost". We already have boost

The best way we found to decrease the pressure differential was to decrease the overall volume of the main plenum and increase the volume of the cone. Playing with the taper of the cone helped make it equalize the flow to each port as best possible. Also, while playing with the main plenum we learned a much better connection point between the cone and plenum which helped keep the airflow as straight and smooth as possible. The runners have also been modified to help increase the velocity slightly at the valves.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

The other thing to remember about that pic is it is using the pressure drop from the volume change as well as the bernoulli effect which is why the pressure is so much lower in the runner itself.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Since you have the change why not make the runners angle up at the same angle as the intake ports? That's something that has always bothered me about all the SMIM is that their runners go straight at intake ports that angle down and cause a abrupt change in the direction of flow.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:15 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Cool!
One question though, are you using steady state flow or are you simulating valve events?

Quick Reply: First test intake manifold (lots a pics)