Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will the STI ever catch up?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the STI ever catch up?

Iv watched these 2 cars from the begining. I remember when they first came out the STi seemed to get alot of hype for the first month or 2 b/c it was faster stock then the Evo and some b/s about it beating the 03 cobra in C&D. But then soon after ppl relized(if they didnt already know about the 4g63) moded vs moded the STi lacked a lil bit with the aluminum block and such. Well then the Evo won the handling contest and pretty soon if you bought a STi ppl would ask, "why didnt you get a Evo." And now it RnR/Burshur/AMS and others are making 700+ numbers out of daily driven Evos. Im Starting to see things like kingpin performance saying race engines are coming for the STi but, do you think the STi can catch up hp wise in the aftermarket world. I know the engine is very new compared to the 4g63 but what do you predict for the next year or so? I am not bashing the STi in anyway. Im just curious.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

good question, i know one thing that was funny imo, theres a guy on the srt forums, and he has an SRT4 pushin like 508, its built, and running a GT40 i just had to like close that because i was gonna lose it.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

It depends what you are looking for

Coming from an STI to an Evo, I can tell you, they have caught up to a certain extent.

You can get 700hp from an STI, but I can tell you this it will cost significantly more $$$$ for that power then it would an Evo. That is why I sold the STI to get an Evo.

The thing with STI's is you can build a motor to withstand the punishment of 600whp+, but you have to sleeve it. Also what they are lacking two major things:

1. EMS - They only have one major standalone EMS called Hydra which is fairly un-proven at this point, due to the fact it just came out.

2. Cam selection, aftermarket companies have yet to design cams that work with their AVCS system. Their throttle by wire EMS is far more complete than the EVO ecu.

They can get some bigger displacement engines, but at the end of the day, the 4g63 has been around forever and is proven.

Guys that want to spend $20,000+ can get their, but why bother. For that money, just get a vette...
Old May 24, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I think eventually it will.
Remember the power plant in our evo's has been around for a very long time. Dating well back into the 80s. Mitsubishi has taken what its learned from the tuner world with the DSMs and applied it semi correctly to the EVO. 16g, strong bottom end blah blah but still left LOTS of room for improvement.
Subbie came out with a complete new motor in th EJ25. There isn't the aftermarket knowledge on the engine yet.
It will start to come up, but it will be a year or so till they figure out how to make serious power out of it
Old May 24, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolution4g63
Iv watched these 2 cars from the begining. I remember when they first came out the STi seemed to get alot of hype for the first month or 2 b/c it was faster stock then the Evo and some b/s about it beating the 03 cobra in C&D. But then soon after ppl relized(if they didnt already know about the 4g63) moded vs moded the STi lacked a lil bit with the aluminum block and such. Well then the Evo won the handling contest and pretty soon if you bought a STi ppl would ask, "why didnt you get a Evo." And now it RnR/Burshur/AMS and others are making 700+ numbers out of daily driven Evos. Im Starting to see things like kingpin performance saying race engines are coming for the STi but, do you think the STi can catch up hp wise in the aftermarket world. I know the engine is very new compared to the 4g63 but what do you predict for the next year or so? I am not bashing the STi in anyway. Im just curious.
You're talking about strictly in the USA, right?
Old May 24, 2005, 12:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not that it won't catch up the better question is how long will it take before the aftermarket pricing levels out? That is what matters the most. $$$$$$
Old May 24, 2005, 12:56 PM

Yea U.S
Old May 24, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well for the most part now most upgrades you can do to the Evo you can do to the STi. I think, though, that more Evo owners mod than do STi guys, so you don't see a lot of them with huge #s. I think early on people realized (like I did) that if you were going to mod, then the Evo was the way to go, just because of the history of the 4g63, and so many people already know the engine. I've seen way more modded WRXs than STis, and again I think it has mostly to do with the owner demographic...
Old May 24, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

like everyone is saying. it's not a matter of when they will catch up, its more of a matter of when and even more importantly, at what cost? The STi engine is admittedly tougher to work on and don't you need 4 cams for that thing? ouch.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:10 PM

i havn't seen many dynoes of the 700whp evos. Is the power peaky?

I think most of the problems with the STi's is that the cam profile is not designed to flow great up high. There are several 500+whp STi's being daily driven, but they just havn't gotten around to racing them... for some reason they dont seem to drag race.

There are plenty of high-hp JDM equipped wrx's putting out 500ish and likely to be in the 10's.

When good cams come out for the STi, it'll pretty much be an even playing field i think. The STi will most likely have better spool and low-end than the evo anyway so the whp numbers probably aren't that indicative of how fast it is.

Also, the STi engine is not as weak as everyone seems to think it is. It is probably capable of making 600whp before it needs to be built. although who knows how long it will hold up.

Lastly, the STi has caught up in terms of a more reliable and mostly unbreakable gearbox. I have not read about one broken STi 6spd. Evo's on the other hand seem to have lots of tranny problems with synchros and such.

Last edited by burrito007; May 24, 2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burrito007
Lastly, the STi has caught up in terms of a more reliable and mostly unbreakable gearbox. I have not read about one broken STi 6spd. Evo's on the other hand seem to have lots of tranny problems with synchros and such.
Amen to that brotha, just got mine rebuilt by Shep.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

youre forgetting about autronic stand-alones
Originally Posted by Big Boost
Coming from an STI to an Evo, I can tell you, they have caught up to a certain extent.

You can get 700hp from an STI, but I can tell you this it will cost significantly more $$$$ for that power then it would an Evo. That is why I sold the STI to get an Evo.

The thing with STI's is you can build a motor to withstand the punishment of 600whp+, but you have to sleeve it. Also what they are lacking two major things:

1. EMS - They only have one major standalone EMS called Hydra which is fairly un-proven at this point, due to the fact it just came out.

2. Cam selection, aftermarket companies have yet to design cams that work with their AVCS system. Their throttle by wire EMS is far more complete than the EVO ecu.

They can get some bigger displacement engines, but at the end of the day, the 4g63 has been around forever and is proven.

Guys that want to spend $20,000+ can get their, but why bother. For that money, just get a vette...
Old May 24, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably not. haha
Old May 24, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yes. And not too far in the distant future.

You guys gotta remember that the 4g63 has been around for a looooooooong time, give the subie power plant that much time and watch out!
Old May 24, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
Yes. And not too far in the distant future.

You guys gotta remember that the 4g63 has been around for a looooooooong time, give the subie power plant that much time and watch out!
I agree, but the engine design of the EVO is so much better then the STI, for big boost. The 4g63 is iron block, so you don't have to sleeve it, plus the fact that the turbo is so much closer to the exhaust is huge.

Plus you don't have to tubing for a mile for a front mount intercooler....

Don't get me wrong, I loved my STI, but I really don't like the idea of putting sleeves into an engine. Just an opportunity for more things to go wrong....

Plus there are alot more 4g63 shops closer to Milwaukee, then STI shops...

Just my $.2 cents

Quick Reply: Will the STI ever catch up?