Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Based on what you wrote, I think...
I think you'll be happy with the EVO.
52.73%
I think the EVO will be too much for you.
5.45%
I don't think the EVO is that bad, you will be fine.
7.27%
As long as your not racing, you shouldnt have a problem.
7.27%
The EVO has it's problems but if you treat it right you'll do just fine.
27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Evo right for me?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Evo right for me?

Hey,
I've been reading on these forums for quite a while now. I've kept waiting to see if the new year Evo's will have a huge percentage of problems go down. The 05's do seem to have many less problems then 03's. I'm now going to see what happens with the 06 IX's.

I'm not going to be racing my EVO at all. No street racing and no drag strips or anything. How likley is it for me to still get problems with the clutch, t-case, etc?

I am planning on modding a little bit, nothing that amazing maybe vishnu st1+ or buschur stg 3 or possibly 4. Will these types of mods increase the chance of me having different problems dramaticly? I'm not modding so I can beat people, I'm modding because I love to work on the car.

I'm not scared of having problems with my car, I would just rather not have a problem with my brand new car. Ya know what I mean? I'm not going to be racing therefor nothing should happen but things keep happening to everyone else.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if I do get an 05 I will almost definitly try and get an MR, so if that makes a difference in the chance of me getting huge problems. Take that into account. I may possibly get an IX MR but not sure if I want to spend that much.

Last edited by ronitlancer; Apr 18, 2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

IMO an Evo is ony as good as you treat it. If you stay on top of all services and drive like you got some sense the Evo will take care of you no matter what mods. I say go for it
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

if u dont abuse the car, it will be fine. people that have problems are a very small groupe compare to the rest of evo owners. when u drive any car as long as u treat it right, the car will last....but if u drive it like crap expect problems to show up.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well I might drive it hard sometimes, but I will almost never launch it or anything that really hurts the car. But the only thing that would be anywhere near that would just be to bring it to redline, but the car is made for that.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

u ll be fine
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

i got 05' gsr ... with tiny prolems here and there but dealers will fix them for ya so no worry as long as you drive it right you should be ok. Just make sure you check your engine oil level once every month.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I need to find out if I have a mod friendly dealer around here... If anyone knows of one within an hour drive from Tampa/Clearwater Florida let me know!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just take care of it. I have an '03 with very minor problems. Yes the clutch went out, but that was my fault.

If you add mods you will increase your chances on something going wrong only becasue you are adding power that was not taken into consideration when the car was bulit.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

as long as you take care of it you'll love the Evo and it'll love you back. Now that's conditional love!

I was in the same boat as you...but as long as you don't abuse it, know its limits, know your limits, you'll love driving the car.
I have never regretted buying my Evo and doing a couple of smaller mods for it.

But when you're doing a reflash like the Vishnu and Buscher stages...you might run into trouble...most bolt on's won't hurt....well maybe an intake without a tune...

I'm just saying, any mods beyond a reflash...you might want to consider if you want to spend the money and time and sometimes a bit of frustration for the car.

hope this helps.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:26 PM
JDF

I LOVED mine... Unfortunately people like to rear end them. First time I got it repaired, second time totalled it Got a Subaru Baja now. Lot more useful, but no passion there...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

ive had an 03 since july of 03 and have had absolutely no problems. if you are nice to your car, it will be nice to you. my clutch has no signs of slipping, and i never launche it. then again, i only have about 9K on it, but still, no problems at all.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
Will these types of mods increase the chance of me having different problems dramaticly?
They will 100% increase the chance of Mitsu not covering things that break...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
I need to find out if I have a mod friendly dealer around here... If anyone knows of one within an hour drive from Tampa/Clearwater Florida let me know!

sunset mitsubishi in sarasota is OK with mods

you should talk to my firend at www.fastforwardmotorwerks.com there is their phone number there. ask for Frankie, he knows the service manager of the mitsu dealership in sarasota. tell frankie that Kage advised u to talk to him.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Don't get it. Great car lousy manufacturer/stearlerships
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
Don't get it. Great car lousy manufacturer/stearlerships
Give me a little more then that

Quick Reply: Is the Evo right for me?