Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!!

Here is a great read for anyone that runs E85! A lot of facts that you may not know, but are detrimental to understand

http://www.injectordynamics.com/AlcoholArticle.html
Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
At least in CA we don't have to deal with the winter mix. It's "85 percent" all year.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Not running E85 (yet?) but that is certainly a good read with plenty of insight.

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJones
At least in CA we don't have to deal with the winter mix. It's "85 percent" all year.
I'm pretty sure it stays pretty consistent, but is says that norcal switches from a "class 1" to "class 2". So I assume that Socal may be susceptible too. I guess it's most important for your tuner to not tune to the ragged edge.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by boostless
I'm pretty sure it stays pretty consistent, but is says that norcal switches from a "class 1" to "class 2". So I assume that Socal may be susceptible too. I guess it's most important for your tuner to not tune to the ragged edge.
I'm in Norcal and our e85 tests between 83-85% all year long. Especially Propel.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 01:34 PM
ZMX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great read.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
no doubt that anyone running e85 should monitor eth content of their fuel. also good to regularly monitor afr. with that said, i've found through some incidental testing that i can run the same tune for anywhere from 60-72% eth. ymmv on that, so check for yourself. big issue is that its not easy to monitor water content.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 08:50 AM

Great write up I have always paid very close attention to my injectors and fuel system while running e85 because living here in ny where the weather changes every 5 min you just have to stay on top of things.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info & good write up too.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out? In regards to energy production, corn for ethanol requires 1,150 times as much land as nuclear energy. This statistic may be out of context, considering it is in terms of energy production and not vehicle consumption, but if that much extra land space is being used for energy, how much more is being used for for vehicles? Sorry if this seems like a rant, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and something so unsustainable and inefficient is not going to last...what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PKEVO8
what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?
I could careless about the production efficiency, land use, or whatever else. As long as they are selling it, I will be buying it. Race gas for 3 bucks a gallon. When they stop making it I'll just have to buy a bigger turbo to make up the difference.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Great read. Good find.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out? In regards to energy production, corn for ethanol requires 1,150 times as much land as nuclear energy. This statistic may be out of context, considering it is in terms of energy production and not vehicle consumption, but if that much extra land space is being used for energy, how much more is being used for for vehicles? Sorry if this seems like a rant, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and something so unsustainable and inefficient is not going to last...what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?
Devils advocate makes interesting points. But the tuned power output "juicing" of E85 makes all the difference for those looking to make safe power. While there are upfront costs associated with running an e85 setup. The power argument for an EVO says E85 is good FTW! On a Dodge mini van flex fuel. Maybe.... maybe not.

There are many arguments out there for or against this fuel. I think E85 is a good idea for getting off foreign oil when you put it together with Natgas, other bio fuels. Problem is, information warfare makes change extremely difficult. They are so many myths out there, that it makes progressive change come to a stand still. LoL dont get me started on dysfunctional politics too hehe joking... point is. Is it the best fuel out there? probably not. Are there uses for it. Hellz ya
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Love the stuff!!! Don't really like the glow in the dark options!! LOL!!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out?
Considering it performs like C16, at $3 per gallon it is a disgustingly cheap UNLEADED race fuel. Once it gets to get $6+ it will turn the car into a weekend only car or I will switch back to 93 and methanol..... Or just make it nuclear powered

Quick Reply: Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!!