Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM keeps eating my cam sensor

Old Oct 3, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AEM keeps eating my cam sensor

I'm on my 4th cam sensor this year. Problem happens around 500 miles and all the sudden it backfire's and studders at high RPM, high boost pulls. Put a new cam sensor in and the problem goes away. Luckily I haven't lost a motor yet like a few others. I know David Bushur also had this issue and ended up switching ECU platforms-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-bad-bish.html

To explain what happens when the cam sensor fails-
When it starts to go bad you get an incorrect RPM reading. You will get spikes in the RPM on the log. In my case its at the upper RPM. The car is logging 8k RPM and in a fraction of a second, AEM thinks its seeing 10k RPM and freaks out.

I am running a CF heat shield with the silver reflective tape. I also tried to wrap the sensor with some protective heat wrap while using the CF shield but the sensor eventually failed.

I believe AEM is somehow destroying the sensor, just not sure how. I'm using series 1 BTW.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
I'm on my 4th cam sensor this year. Problem happens around 500 miles and all the sudden it backfire's and studders at high RPM, high boost pulls. Put a new cam sensor in and the problem goes away. Luckily I haven't lost a motor yet like a few others. I know David Bushur also had this issue and ended up switching ECU platforms-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-bad-bish.html

To explain what happens when the cam sensor fails-
When it starts to go bad you get an incorrect RPM reading. You will get spikes in the RPM on the log. In my case its at the upper RPM. The car is logging 8k RPM and in a fraction of a second, AEM thinks its seeing 10k RPM and freaks out.

I am running a CF heat shield with the silver reflective tape. I also tried to wrap the sensor with some protective heat wrap while using the CF shield but the sensor eventually failed.

I believe AEM is somehow destroying the sensor, just not sure how. I'm using series 1 BTW.

Any ideas?
I've had some similar issues in the past. I ran a series 1 box for many years and went through I think 2 sensors while never having a heat shield to protect my cam sensor. Once replaced the last one latest a couple years with my series 1 box. I also grabbed a Buschur heat shield when they came out and went through 2 of them because they both cracked overtime. The first one fell off while driving the car and I ran it over. Luckily no cuts in the tire and most importantly no cars behind me were damaged as it happened in a very low speed condition on a turn.

** Note ** Buschur redesigned them to be stronger but mine eventually started to crack again so I got a carbon fiber one. I think that’s because I have Torque Solutions engine mounts in my car and it’s basically a "race" setup and at that time was my daily driver. The vibrations on the aluminum, it eventually had to give. Two of my friends have the same cracking issue so it’s the nature of the beast and the material used.

Anyway moving along I then switched to a series 2 box after they came out and had the problem again but NOT on the series 1 box. It turned out that series 2 appeared to be more sensitive to the cam sensor signal so I again had to replace the sensor and all was well. Fast forward a few months and another cam sensor issue, talk about getting irritated at this point... So I tried changing the sensor again and thought I would be good but the hype of short lived, the problem came back.

So after driving the car easy (it was my daily driver on most occasions) for a couple weeks I finally looked into it more and found that the problem appears to be my wire harness for the cam sensor. If the problem comes I can unplug push on the wires and plug it back in and the car is 100% solid again.

So my point is I don’t see it being AEM destroying your sensors and I suggest checking your wiring. I have an AMS turbo kit and about 98,xxx miles on my car and live in Florida where its hot. My theory is all the heat cycles the plastic, rubber, and wires in general have deteriorated over time being so close to the aftermarket manifold. The car is down now but I am going to wire in a new pigtail once I bring it back to life.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting...

The only reason I feel AEM is to blame is you never hear of factory ECU having issues with the cam sensor (4 sensors 5 months is excessive). I think you would have more people complaining about this issue. I will definitely check my pigtail for any issues.

I was buying replacement sensors at the local parts store. I was told to run ONLY a Mits OEM cam sensor so that was my 4th and it still had RPM spike issues after 300 miles.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rodent
Interesting...

The only reason I feel AEM is to blame is you never hear of factory ECU having issues with the cam sensor (4 sensors 5 months is excessive). I think you would have more people complaining about this issue. I will definitely check my pigtail for any issues.

I was buying replacement sensors at the local parts store. I was told to run ONLY a Mits OEM cam sensor so that was my 4th and it still had RPM spike issues after 300 miles.
My latest sensor is from O'Reilly's Auto-parts and it's been working great till the car went down in an unrelated matter (roughly 6 months). I only needed to "adjust" the pigtail twice.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

i am on my 3rd sensor in 180 miles i am also running v1 the car ran fine wed put about 20 miles on the car parked it then go to drive today and its back the weird thing is i put my sensors in a buddys car (stock ecu ) and his car runs fine but put it in mine and misfire i dont have a solution really annoying cause i cant drive the car far.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
i am on my 3rd sensor in 180 miles i am also running v1 the car ran fine wed put about 20 miles on the car parked it then go to drive today and its back the weird thing is i put my sensors in a buddys car (stock ecu ) and his car runs fine but put it in mine and misfire i dont have a solution really annoying cause i cant drive the car far.
Good to know we're not the only ones. I'd like to research if its possible to put an older style DSM cam sensor in. They use optical or Hall Effect sensors.

There also an option like this the Honda folks are using with AEM:
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd shoot Emery@STM a private message with the link to this thread.

He uses AEM more than any other shop that I know of. If anyone has had an AEM EMS problem and fixed it, it's probably Emery.

-Bink
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
I'd shoot Emery@STM a private message with the link to this thread.

He uses AEM more than any other shop that I know of. If anyone has had an AEM EMS problem and fixed it, it's probably Emery.

-Bink
sent him a txt asking him to chime in!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

I have no idea why its happening. Actually, I just lost the first one this year two weekends ago racing. Still ran a 9.0@162 though. lol. If you do not want to loose an engine I suggest not advancing timing upon start up. If the ECU looses Sync it will think the car is restarting and advance the timing once it re-syncs.

It may even be happening to the Stock ECU cars as well but May not be as pronounced as they do not have as many high hp/reving cars running on them.

-Em
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
I have no idea why its happening. Actually, I just lost the first one this year two weekends ago racing. Still ran a 9.0@162 though. lol. If you do not want to loose an engine I suggest not advancing timing upon start up. If the ECU looses Sync it will think the car is restarting and advance the timing once it re-syncs.

It may even be happening to the Stock ECU cars as well but May not be as pronounced as they do not have as many high hp/reving cars running on them.

-Em
Thanks for chiming Emery! Great idea to reduce the timing during start up for engine safety. For some reason my cam sensors keep going out though I never verified they work in stock ECU cars after they go bad.

Speaking of sensors, have you had a chance to play around with a 12 tooth crank trigger with AEM? I was thinking of going to this this winter.
http://www.triggerdisc.com
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I am running one. I personally love it. You car will get to stat sync much faster. It also seems that the timing drift is a lot less.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBoz
I am running one. I personally love it. You car will get to stat sync much faster. It also seems that the timing drift is a lot less.
can you run just that and do away with the cam sensor?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
can you run just that and do away with the cam sensor?
no you still have to run it but from what i read in that buschur thread there is a way to turn it of after the car has been started in aem nothing in that thread went into detail so i dont kno more then that i cant believe there is not a fix for this.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

update itzwolf was on the money i suggest everbody check there wiring to there cps sensor i am not sure what wire out of the 3 was not making good contact but all is well now.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
update itzwolf was on the money i suggest everbody check there wiring to there cps sensor i am not sure what wire out of the 3 was not making good contact but all is well now.
Glad you found your issue and were able to resolve it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM keeps eating my cam sensor