Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

General Tire AS-03 review- a must read!

Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking General Tire AS-03 review- a must read!

I have gone through alot of all season tires in day, nearly every brand, tread style, ect. I have been a big fan of the good year eagle gt. So since winter and rain in here in NJ i had to toss my summer tires and get on the hunt. I follow alot of racing from off road truck to touring car. One brand I kept seeing was General Tire. So I checked them out I was also looking at some hankooks and nittos.
I liked the style of the Generals, reviews were good and price was perfect, 126 a pop on dicount tires direct with free shipping!! Its been raining since I have had them on aside from the first day and my god do they grip! This morning it was slushy out and still nothing but grip! Very little road noise, extreamly good ride and did I happen to mention the grip? They look nice, handle great, amazing tread pattern and tread depth which I will need when i track the car. I would normally switch to a summer UHP tire which was what was on my car or a street leagal radial but I dont think I will this time.

No sloppy turning like alot of AS tires, no rock hard rubber compound, great in rain, great in slush, no snow for them yet. I am Very happy with this buy. Check them out, comment if you have them, ask any questions you have. Thanks for reading. Must say though I was worried going away from brands that have been around for many years to go with a brand thats been around for just a few. But hey they know their Sh*t.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the review!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:21 PM

Can you provide some comparisons to other all-season tires you've used? You mentioned that you've been through a number of different all-seasons over the years.

And just a side note, but lots of tread depth is not a good thing for track days.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whitevo88
I would normally switch to a summer UHP tire which was what was on my car or a street leagal radial but I dont think I will this time.
FWIW, (IME) UHPs handle and respond like pudding. They are very light, though.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ThePNO
Can you provide some comparisons to other all-season tires you've used? You mentioned that you've been through a number of different all-seasons over the years.

And just a side note, but lots of tread depth is not a good thing for track days.
Sorry for such a delay in getting back to everyone.

The most recent A/S tire I used and did like very much was the goodyear eagle GT. IMO it was a good tire had good grip, good in rain, goodish in snow, but that was really it. Just good, not great. Also the ventus V4 or V12 what ever the A/S tire is i cant remember at the moment, was good in rain but horrid in the snow, flat out terrible. And when i say tread depth im talking about how long it will take you to get to the warning line and if you look at the tire online you will see the width of the pattern is rather large so you wont get that sluggish feeling when you turn.

Feeling the compound of a great summer tire it feels like its extremely close that i believe is why they made it so deep is because it will wear faster then most A/S tires but that doesnt bother me in the least because it handles so F'ing well. Only issue is i get some rubbing in the wheel well when i make a very sharp turn where i just cant turn the wheel anymore but I am also very low so if i knew that i would have gone with a slightly lower profile.

I was just able to test these babies in the snow a few days ago and they were yet again great. You cant expect any non studded tire to not slightly slide but apart from a very very minor amount of sliding i was able to still do slightly above the speed limit on the crappy plowed highway. And when i was in a closed private parking lot i found it harder then normal to do a few spins because of how mush the tires toss the snow that gets in the tread which is a great quality in a tire that gets over looked so easily not until the sun had set and it turned in to ice and it was very compact was i able to slide around and have some fun. even my mother who drives a heavy suv had plenty to say about the grip when i took her to the store. She made me check but they do not have them in her tire size but they do carry them in my dads for is AWD 300c so he is ordering his next week.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
FWIW, (IME) UHPs handle and respond like pudding. They are very light, though.
I love my nt555 and my toyo 888's. Dont cheap out and you will get better response, and handling. Not trying to sound like a dick but you get what you pay for in most cases. Altho with only spending 512 and free shipping i seemed to have gotten more then what I paid for...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whitevo88
I love my nt555 and my toyo 888's. Dont cheap out and you will get better response, and handling. Not trying to sound like a dick but you get what you pay for in most cases. Altho with only spending 512 and free shipping i seemed to have gotten more then what I paid for...
I'm not sure I understand, given the passage quoted earlier.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be tryingthe nitto 555r's when my bridgestones finally die.