Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case, What are the options?

Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer Case, What are the options?

So my transfer case cracked months ago... refuses to cover it, so Im going to have to pay out of pocket , and the car has been sitting ever since (its winter so it doesnt really bother me), but tax season is coming around.

Just wondering what are the options out there other than OEM? I called a few places and they told me they can only get OEM. Just wondering if anyone has an aftermarket T-case out there? Or do they plan on making them re-builds?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1...I need a new tcase and its gonna be out of pocket..would love to put in something stronger and built..
SHEP!
Y U NO HAVE STAGE 2 TCASE?!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I know huh? you'd figure it'd be a bigger problem.... Me and you must be the only 2 with cracked T-cases.

Did you have your clutch replaced? Im starting to think it was the kid who replaced mines that forgot to put the O-ring that is known to crack T-cases if its not replaced
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call Jacks trans he has some options
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

no company is going to make a different transfer case housing. thats like blowing a hole through the motor and looking for an after market block
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

i dont have a damaged case, just internals...no one makes a stronger ring and pinion yet which is surprising...I dont one to replace my tcase with another oem spec case. I want a stage 2 or something!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

some info for u NotenoughHP straight from Jacks

Derek,

It is unfortunate, but Mitsubishi of Japan has not released all of the parts needed to completely rebuild your transfer case. The option that I can offer to you is we can sell you a brand new OEM unit for $2995. This will be for a stock unit, as it comes from the factory. For an additional $275, we can perform some upgrades to the case and bolts, to strengthen the unit. This would essentially be the same as the ‘refresh’ option we offer for the EVO 8/9. (http://www.jackstransmissions.com/co...t-case-refresh)

On a side note, these transfer cases are very sensitive to fluid. If your unit has a crack in it which caused some of the fluid to drip out, the noise you hear is most likely related to the ring & pinion gears being wiped out. One way to help determine if the noise is related to your transfer case, and not something else, is to listen for the noise and see if it follows the vehicle RPM or speed. If the noise changes solely on RPM, then most likely it is not the transfer case. Vice versa, if the noise changes more with speed (ie: louder at 75mph than 35mph), then it will point to the t-case.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d3r3k
some info for u NotenoughHP straight from Jacks

Derek,

It is unfortunate, but Mitsubishi of Japan has not released all of the parts needed to completely rebuild your transfer case. The option that I can offer to you is we can sell you a brand new OEM unit for $2995. This will be for a stock unit, as it comes from the factory. For an additional $275, we can perform some upgrades to the case and bolts, to strengthen the unit. This would essentially be the same as the ‘refresh’ option we offer for the EVO 8/9. (http://www.jackstransmissions.com/co...t-case-refresh)

On a side note, these transfer cases are very sensitive to fluid. If your unit has a crack in it which caused some of the fluid to drip out, the noise you hear is most likely related to the ring & pinion gears being wiped out. One way to help determine if the noise is related to your transfer case, and not something else, is to listen for the noise and see if it follows the vehicle RPM or speed. If the noise changes solely on RPM, then most likely it is not the transfer case. Vice versa, if the noise changes more with speed (ie: louder at 75mph than 35mph), then it will point to the t-case.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

so the noise following RPM would have to be transmission / diff pin related?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:37 AM

derek, im a little confused, the refreshing that jack transmissions offers, is that for t-cases that are still running, or broken ones? or both? im looking to buy an evo 8 soon and i want to know what to do if my transfer case goes up, thanks
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nickraft14
derek, im a little confused, the refreshing that jack transmissions offers, is that for t-cases that are still running, or broken ones? or both? im looking to buy an evo 8 soon and i want to know what to do if my transfer case goes up, thanks

ones that are running, thats why I would have to buy another one to do the refresh option

BUT, I called shep last night, and the guy I talked to told me they DO offer rebuilds for the evo X transfer cases!!!!! I told him mines was cracked and he said they can rebuild them, and it is MUCH cheaper than a new one! Now I just got to get my friend to pull mines out lol.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d3r3k
ones that are running, thats why I would have to buy another one to do the refresh option

BUT, I called shep last night, and the guy I talked to told me they DO offer rebuilds for the evo X transfer cases!!!!! I told him mines was cracked and he said they can rebuild them, and it is MUCH cheaper than a new one! Now I just got to get my friend to pull mines out lol.
Shep can unless it's ring and pinion.... I'm in the that boat right now.. Ring and pinion in mine is done so I'm gonna buy one of his new ones.. Similar price compared to Jacks
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Showbizz41
Shep can unless it's ring and pinion.... I'm in the that boat right now.. Ring and pinion in mine is done so I'm gonna buy one of his new ones.. Similar price compared to Jacks
Anyway to tell if its ring and pinion or something else?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:08 PM

Subscribed.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly I dont know, I think im just going to Buy a used off of Ebay and Have Shepp reinforce it. I was going to get mine pulled sent out, sent back then reinstalled BUT the guy who is going to do it doesnt want my car tying up the Lift all that time, Which I dont blame him... Anyone else have any info. Is Shepp or Jacks on this forum, Itd be nice to have answers from them on here in writing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case, What are the options?