Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What type of oil do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What type of oil do you guys use?

Hi Guys, I'm a little confused about what oil to use in my car. I got my first oil change a while ago and put in Mobil1 5w30 Full Synthetic, as per the owner's manual. When I dropped the car off at the dealership a few weeks ago to have them look at a rattle, they mentioned something about 5w20 oil (I think, not too sure). Now that I am due again, I called both of the local dealerships in town and asked what they recommend, especially now that it's winter. One dealership said to use 0w20, while the other said 5w30, just like the owner's manual. Seeing that there seems to be some inconsistency with the dealerships, I thought I'd ask here. So, what type of oil are you using in your Ralliart?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I have used 5w-30 full synthetic consistently. However I believe since it is the cold weather time, you can use another type but i forget what it is...but for me personally i have used 5w-30 the over a year every 3,000 miles.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
I use exclusively Brad Penn, 10w40. Best and only oil in my opinion you should use for a turbo car.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

I've been sticking to the Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-30.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I run Mobil-1 5w-30 year round. According to the owner's manual you can also run 0w-30.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It's oil, I think you're over thinking it. Just make sure you use a good brand, change it regularly and if you want, send the used stuff in for analysis. That will you a lot more about whether the oil is right for your engine than an internet forum. You can get free sample containers from places like Blackstone Labs. Oil is like religion, everyone has their preferred type and they'll fight to the death to support their choice.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's oil, I think you're over thinking it. Just make sure you use a good brand, change it regularly and if you want, send the used stuff in for analysis. That will you a lot more about whether the oil is right for your engine than an internet forum. You can get free sample containers from places like Blackstone Labs. Oil is like religion, everyone has their preferred type and they'll fight to the death to support their choice.
Oil has chemical properties which can be empirically experimented upon to show that one is greater than another based on certain applications.

Every religion makes claims that are untestable (unfalsifiable) and if there are testable claims it is regarded as heresy or culturally intolerant to dissent against.

Please don't demean engine oil by comparing it to religion.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by olmoscd
Oil has chemical properties which can be empirically experimented upon to show that one is greater than another based on certain applications.

Every religion makes claims that are untestable (unfalsifiable) and if there are testable claims it is regarded as heresy or culturally intolerant to dissent against.

The application is very specific however and ultimately the properties that may make one oil "superior" under extreme conditions is irrelevant for street use. It also depends on what exact properties you need. There is no one oil that is the best (I'm not implying that's what you mean here, I'm just saying it because it's a myth that seems to get spread around everywhere). I run Shell Rotella T5 or T6 in 0w40 or 5w40 weight in my STI. I know guys who run Amsoil, Motul, Castrol, etc. I have used oil analyses to show that the oil I use is fine. I use the specific oil I do because of a number of factors, including cost. I spend less than half on an oil change that others do with more "high end" oils.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:02 PM

snow it really doesnt matter...... as stated above the _w40 is what i like best.....40 cause of the turbo. as for 0 or 5w end of day doesnt matter...... i prefer 5. The numbers have to do with the viscosity of start up and running temperature...... but synthetic doesnt thicken up in freezing temperatures like regular oil( for us canadians) so the 0w isnt fully needed. we can easily get away with 5w. hope it helps a bit!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:04 PM

should alter the above>>>> oil viscosity does matter...... its extremely important......i was referring to the difference of 0-5w
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30.

Rich
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:19 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just stick with the manual, 5w-30. Some dealers I've spoken to hate or don't want to stock different oils and will default to 10w-30 or something like that.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by olmoscd

BLASPHEMER! Burn the witch!

Rich
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
($24 Walmart) 5qt Mobile1 full syn 5w-30
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:13 PM

Hi guys,

newbie to forum here. I use Castol Edge on mines... I hear it's the best.

Quick Reply: What type of oil do you guys use?