Notices

How long is the idle time before shutting off the car

Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long is the idle time before shutting off the car

How long the idle time before shutting off the car? and after switching on the car as wee?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you just drove the crap out of your car, you can turn the car off immediately after putting it in park.

Just like every other fuel-injected car, you can start driving immediately after starting the car. You should just take it easy until the car warms up.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

i see. I ask this because so many people said that it is better to let the turbo to cool down before shutting the car off.

Btw, how long should I idle to warm up the car when staring a car in a very cold weather like -20 to -30 degree C?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mitlan
i see. I ask this because so many people said that it is better to let the turbo to cool down before shutting the car off.

Btw, how long should I idle to warm up the car when staring a car in a very cold weather like -20 to -30 degree C?
holy crap thats cold....I'd recommend at least 10-15 or so min a good indicator is the heater producing heat.... and on the hot side its best to give the turbo 1 min or so before shut down after very spirited driving or cycles of high RPMs it allows the oil to cycle past the cooler and through the turbo again to cool it off.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
15 sec. Never had a problem
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Usually when you drive the crap out of the car, the car's fans will kick in when you turn it off, its like it has it own lil turbo timer built in it lol
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

The fans only affect the radiator. I'm pretty sure the oil stops flowing when the car is turned off, and that's the important part (to prevent coking).
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

i let the car heat up until i get 1 tick on the warm meter...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Unless you race your car, I believe we can turn shut it off immediately as our turbo is oil and coolant cooled.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Th car hears up for at least 10 seconds before I drive and cools down for at least 10 before shut off. It takes that much time to put on my seatbelt and adjust everything to my liking.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

I warm my car up until I see blue on the dash temp. and i always let it cool for a minute after normal driving and 5 minutes after spirited driving. Or you can pop your hood and look behind the manifold shield through the 2 holes, when it stops glowing red you can turn the car off. Ignore all of the misinformation thats been going around, the fans that turn on do close to nothing. Anyone that has had a car before their ralliart will tell you that the fans would turn on on n/a cars too. Yeah our cars are oil and water cooled which works to keep them pretty cool but when the engine stops running so does the oil and water and then the turbo starts to cook and cook the oil along with it.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Unless the manual says you need to warm the car up or cool it down, you don't. Letting the car idle for a long time can be bad anyways, you're not actually warming up the entire drivetrain.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Unless the manual says you need to warm the car up or cool it down, you don't. Letting the car idle for a long time can be bad anyways, you're not actually warming up the entire drivetrain.
The manual says you should let it warm up until you see the temp display move it also says to let it cool down it hot weather or after running it hard
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Is it hot out or are you running it hard? Then yes, let it cool down slightly. Just follow whatever the manual says and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

I see, this is my first time to own a turbo car. That is why I want to know how to maintain the turbo and engine. Thanks a lot.

Just one more thing, would the outside temperature help to cool down the turbo let say in winter -10 degree C? If it does, I think I can shorter the idle time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long is the idle time before shutting off the car