Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to install evo 9 head into evo 8 block

Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up how to install evo 9 head into evo 8 block

I got an Evo 8 block I wanna install the Evo 9 head into it. What do I need to make it happen I got the Evo 9 head,and engine Harness. What else do I need
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what happened to being a gear head and figuring it out?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
search evo 8.5 there is not a ton of info out there on this swap good luck post back if you find any good links
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION.03
I got an Evo 8 block I wanna install the Evo 9 head into it. What do I need to make it happen I got the Evo 9 head,and engine Harness. What else do I need
E9 cam cover, E9 inlet manifold, E9 ecu, braided custom oil line and associated fittings from oil filter housing to oil control valve on back of E9 head.

I've done this, the mechanical part isn't difficult, but the wiring was a nightmare as I didn't have the engine loom and ended up making my own. You won't be able to use the 8 egr system...I junked mine, car runs fine without it.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 07:45 AM

Hi, to the o.p., replied to your message privately, but basically all it says is to confirm that unless you want to drill out your 8 manifold to accept a map sensor, you'll need to fit the 9 manifold, which is what I did.

You should have a much easier time than I did with the wiring if you have the engine loom from the 9, it'll just connect straight up the the 4 sensors, and plug straight into the 9 ecu. I couldn't find a 9 engine loom for reasonable money in the u.k, so had no choice but to fabricate from scratch.

You'll also need the 9 top pulley cover....the 8 one won't fit over the Mivec pulley.

Cheers, Andy.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Could the MAP Mivec oil feed line for the 2.4L work if you go with the conversion? Just curious....
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
Could the MAP Mivec oil feed line for the 2.4L work if you go with the conversion? Just curious....
Hi, not familiar with that, where does the MAP line take a feed from? As posted earlier, I just ran a line up from the filter housing to the head, bit of a pain to route, but no biggy, and certainly less aggro than pulling the motor out to drill the block, which was a complete non-starter for me as a consideration. Cheap and effective solution, probably better oil pressure from there than the factory position on the 9.

Edited to add, just looked at the MAP site, it wouldn't be my solution for converting an 8 to Mivec, as it appears to need an awkward to access take-off point from the block. Could be wrong about that though. Also, no need to spend that much, I reckon in $ I spent less than 40 on the line and fittings....Mitsi have a non-return valve in the original line on the 9, mine does without, with no issues.
It's possible, I suppose that the MAP line could be made to work in the same way as mine does, providing it's long enough to reach the filter housing, but I expect you'd still have to source your own fittings, as theirs wouldn't be correct, at least for the bottom of the line.

Last edited by heaveho; Aug 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:11 AM

soo i have a buddy that has a built evo 8 bottom end sitting around and i have a evo 9 it would be easy to switch them over?? and then does a evo 9 block work with the evo 8 head??
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mlancerevo8
soo i have a buddy that has a built evo 8 bottom end sitting around and i have a evo 9 it would be easy to switch them over?? and then does a evo 9 block work with the evo 8 head??
All the info you need to put the 9 head on the 8 block is listed above.

If you want to put the 8 head on the 9 block, it's a straight swap, just blank off the Mivec oil supply on the back of the 9 block.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by heaveho
Hi, to the o.p., replied to your message privately, but basically all it says is to confirm that unless you want to drill out your 8 manifold to accept a map sensor, you'll need to fit the 9 manifold, which is what I did.

Cheers, Andy.

I'm not sure if its different for EDM evo VIIIs but USDM evo VIIIs have the same MAP sensor port as evo IXs. Ex: I swapped my VIII 1 bar MAP sensor to a X 3 bar MAP sensor. Unless you're talking about something else?

Why did you have to junk the EGR system btw?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
I'm not sure if its different for EDM evo VIIIs but USDM evo VIIIs have the same MAP sensor port as evo IXs. Ex: I swapped my VIII 1 bar MAP sensor to a X 3 bar MAP sensor. Unless you're talking about something else?

Why did you have to junk the EGR system btw?
Hi, can't remember exactly what caused this, but seem to recollect that the 8 EGR physically couldn't be refitted to the 9 head due to some detail differences in the fit between 8 and 9....car runs fine without it.

Do you mean that the USDM 8s have a MAP sensor fitted to the inlet manifold as standard? My JDM didn't, hence the fitment of the 9 inlet manifold on my conversion.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Hi, can't remember exactly what caused this, but seem to recollect that the 8 EGR physically couldn't be refitted to the 9 head due to some detail differences in the fit between 8 and 9....car runs fine without it.

Do you mean that the USDM 8s have a MAP sensor fitted to the inlet manifold as standard? My JDM didn't, hence the fitment of the 9 inlet manifold on my conversion.

Hey, I'm in the process of collecting parts for the MIVEC swap. I wanted to ask what gasket and timing belt are you using? The VIII or the IX?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:29 AM

Hey, I'm in the process of collecting parts for the MIVEC swap. I wanted to ask what gasket and timing belt are you using? The VIII or the IX?
Hi, sorry for the delay, been abroad.

I used the 9 head gasket, and all of the timing belt kits supplied in the U.K are the same from 4-9, if you use factory parts.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hi, sorry for the delay, been abroad.

I used the 9 head gasket, and all of the timing belt kits supplied in the U.K are the same from 4-9, if you use factory parts.
The belts are the same? In the US they have different part numbers for the VIII and IX belt. But I know aftermarket suppliers like Gates have only one belt listed for both. Wasn't sure...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 01:58 PM

The belts are the same? In the US they have different part numbers for the VIII and IX belt. But I know aftermarket suppliers like Gates have only one belt listed for both. Wasn't sure...
Hi, I haven't personally checked the numbers against each other, but when I rang some of the suppliers that advertise on the U.K. forum, this is what I was told. Hope I'm not passing on bad info, but I think it's correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to install evo 9 head into evo 8 block