Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane

Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane

All -

As you can tell, the title of this message isn't good. Some moron at a shell filled my car up with 87 octane when I asked for 93. I will never keep my eyes off a gas attendant again, and yes, I live in NJ. I actually realized today, after filling up on Saturday, that my receipt had a value of $3.599 which is WAY too low for premium. I only put about 15 miles or so on the tank and hit boost really only once.

Do you guys suggest I drive around without hitting boost obviously, and then fillup with 93 octane at half tank or what? I'm really not happy about this and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
I would empty the ****ing thing in the driveway and then tell them to get it right. I am sorry if this seems stupid but why are you letting people fill your gas tank? But seriously would drive it but baby the hell out of it with 0 boost what so ever or try to empty the tank out into something that will hold all that fuel and put it in your lawnmower or something
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would siphon it out into a container and use it in other cars or lawn mowers.

after getting as much out as possible fill up on 93 and take it easy that tank.

of if you have 100 octane in your area fill up on some of that to average it out
http://www.bazellracefuels.com/Calcs/OC1.htm

Last edited by Montu; Jul 25, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

In NJ, it's state law for the attendant to pump your gas. How do I go about emptying the gas out? Is there some kind of release valve? If that's the case, I will go to the gas station and have them do it. I have no idea on how to empty the gas though. ..
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

So long as you refrain from WOT and keep it mellow, i wouldn't sweat it. Or, you can buy a can of octane booster like this:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=8&loc=show

from an auto parts store and be done with it...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

just lay off boost no big deal. I had it happen once also due to the retarded pump attendant, I just drove around and burned thru the gas mad fast. You'll notice since its 87 it will burn off faster. If you're really paranoid then you can put a bottle of octane booster in.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:58 PM

I thought it says in the manual 87 can be used in an emergency. I would just drive it off and baby it till that fuels gone.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mar387
In NJ, it's state law for the attendant to pump your gas. How do I go about emptying the gas out? Is there some kind of release valve? If that's the case, I will go to the gas station and have them do it. I have no idea on how to empty the gas though. ..
I would try and to the ghetto way (as if your stealing some ones gas) try not to get a mouth full

OR you can buy a pump for 13 bucks from an auto parts store

You have allot of options

1) Drive with 0 boost till the tank is empty
2) Siphon gas with pump or mouth then fill on 93
3) drop the gas tank (excessive)
4) Hope an octane booster can get you from 87 to 93
5) use 6.5 gallons of gas in 0 boost and top back off to full with 100 octane.

are you stock map or tuned on 93?

I would worry allot less if your stock

Last edited by Montu; Jul 25, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:03 PM

Like everyone is saying just baby it till you finish off the tank. The ecu's come with 2 fuel maps (high and low octane) for interpolation purposes based on knock count. I believe the low octane map is set up for 87 and the high for 93. The ecu automatically calculates and corrects timing based on the fuel grade. Oregon is the same as nj attendant has to pump your gas.... stupid law but it creates jobs I guess.

~Nate
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I would siphon half out and then dump an octane booster in.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Montu
I would try and to the ghetto way (as if your stealing some ones gas) try not to get a mouth full

OR you can buy a pump for 13 bucks from an auto parts store

You have allot of options

1) Drive with 0 boost till the tank is empty
2) Siphon gas with pump or mouth then fill on 93
3) drop the gas tank (excessive)
4) Hope an octane booster can get you from 87 to 93
5) use 6.5 gallons of gas in 0 boost and top back off to full with 100 octane.

are you stock map or tuned on 93?
I would worry allot less if your stock
Thanks for all the quick replies guys. The car is bone stock. I really don't want to have to siphon the fuel out, especially since its raining. The car isn't my daily driver. Id have to search where I can get 100 octane fuel, and id definitely go with that route. Additionally, does anyone know for sure that it states the car can be ran with 87 octane in case of emergencies, and/or the ecu adjusts to the octane level in the owners manual?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

^
when knock is detected it will retard the timing

so yes the car would run...but each knock is bad for your engine

when your done with the tank the car will still work with hopefully not much wear/tear

this is what they mean by "can be used in emergencies" as apposed to putting in say diesel which would leave your car non operational
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You can disconnect the wastegate actuator from the turbine housing so that the flapper stays open. The car will stay out of boost unless you floor it at which point it might build a little tiny bit of boost on the top end of the rev range. The only thing I don't know is if it would trigger a check engine light or limp mode. I don't think it would though.

As a side note: why is it so ****in hard to get good help. People are just plain stupid and lazy nowadays. Go tell the manager of the gas station and say if there's damage to your engine, you're charging him for a new one.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be fine. When I bought my car, which was also in jersey. The tank was nearly empty and the attendant filled it with 87 and i found out halfway through. I just drove it really easy with no boost.I was half a tank by the time I got home and filled up with 93. Never had an issue.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

personally, I'd just drive it out of boost and then fill up with the good stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane