Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car will not go in reverse

Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car will not go in reverse

Started my car and tried backing out of a parking space, but car would not shift into reverse. Shift rods are moving properly also. The car is a 2010 gsr with 13k miles on it.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:13 PM

Does it not go in reverse at all or does it have a hard time getting into reverse? My new 2011 has a problem getting into reverse if it is parked on a flat surface. I have to jerk my body to move the car a little and then the car will go into reverse after it has rolled a bit (forward or backwards)..
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

I've found with some cars I drive if it won't go into reverse I put it in neutral and release the clutch or roll forward in first a fraction and then go into reverse and that helps a lot.

Last edited by AndyCT9W; Jun 25, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, should slip right into reverse. Remember the X 5-speed has no actual reverse gear to keep rotational mass down so sometimes it can be a bit trickier than most cars. First and third (I think) are somehow used in conjunction to create a reverse gear.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, should slip right into reverse. Remember the X 5-speed has no actual reverse gear to keep rotational mass down so sometimes it can be a bit trickier than most cars. First and third (I think) are somehow used in conjunction to create a reverse gear.

Wow did not know that. Impressive.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:24 PM

need new clutch. thats for sure, i been thru with same problem. its ur clutch
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E.V.O
need new clutch. thats for sure, i been thru with same problem. its ur clutch
Highly unlikely, please don't give bad advice like this. Sure, it could be a remote possibility, but it definitely is not a "thats for sure" situation.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:54 PM

Highly unlikely, please don't give bad advice like this. Sure, it could be a remote possibility, but it definitely is not a "thats for sure" situation.

Im definetly going to agree with this statement, unless your there in person and are a ASE Certified Diagnostic Tech refrain from the "for sure" statements. To the OP if its that much of a concern to you take it in have it diganosed. But even with 13k miles theres no way your going to need a clutch replacement. Sounds like your just getting to know your car a little better and finding out its temperments.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wwevoxgsr
Does it not go in reverse at all or does it have a hard time getting into reverse? My new 2011 has a problem getting into reverse if it is parked on a flat surface. I have to jerk my body to move the car a little and then the car will go into reverse after it has rolled a bit (forward or backwards)..
does not go into reverse at all

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
I've found with some cars I drive if it won't go into reverse I put it in neutral and release the clutch or roll forward in first a fraction and then go into reverse and that helps a lot.
tried doing this at first and no luck.

tried doing this also with no luck, dont know if it helps any, but the car goes in every other gear normally.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

If its a recurring problem bring it in to the dealership and let it be their problem under warranty. My dealer replaced my transfer case and ordered me a new transmission too "just in case" My transmission is fine though, I didn't want it replaced though since it shifts so nice with all my mods (short-shifter, bushings, fluid, etc.) and didn't want to risk losing that.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Take that thing into the dealership first thing tomorrow bro. Might as well use the warranty to the fullest!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by jonzie04
Take that thing into the dealership first thing tomorrow bro. Might as well use the warranty to the fullest!
i was hoping someone on here would know what the problem would be, and it would be a cheap fix. i hate taking my car in to the dealership...lol
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
One thing I do is go into third, 2nd, then reverse. Seems to go in a bit easier, if you can't get it in, time to go to the dealership.

The only cheap fixes along with not getting your car into gear would include adjusting the clutch pedal or checking the shifter linkage for binding. I doubt it's either.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:17 AM

figured out that i can get it in reverse this morning and it is working properly, so i am happy about that. but pretty sure the linkage is binding because i have to push the shifter where reverse should be, move the shifter from side to side and then force it into gear and it works....

going to take a further look into the car tonight or tomorrow probably because this will probably not be a warranty item since i have a short shifter and bushings. guessing one of the bushings has worn out.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

What bushings did you get? I'm guessing you got metal ones and they're seized. Remove them, lightly sand any surface corrosion off, and apply some grease or anti-seize on them before reinstallation. Metal bushings are notorious for this and you should plan on relubricating them at least once per year.

P.S. Aftermarket mod information like this would have been very important to include in your first post, the more detailed you are the better advice we can give.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car will not go in reverse