Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case ACD Bleeding

Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer Case ACD Bleeding

Is there any way to power up the ACD pump to bleed the system? I have called 3 dealers to do this for me and have gotten 3 differant answers. One said I don't have to bleed it, One said $150, and the other said $325. Do we have any Mitsu Techs on here to check into this for me?? Any help would be great! Thanks guys
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Key on/off with gas pedal to the floor, repeat, bleeds itself.

Originally Posted by n03lsevo
I know this has been talked about before, but if you can't find it here's the fast way of bleeding the ACD without going to the dealer:

Tools:
10mm wrench or socket
vacum hose
ACD fluid

how to:

this is a 2 man job, someone to turn the key to the on position and step on the gas pedal until the pump comes on and anther to loosen the 10mm bleed bolt on the TCase(bottom).

1. have a guy under the car ready on the bleed bolt with vacum hose on it diverting to a cup or bottle for excess acd fluid.
2. turn the key to on position, without starting, as soon as you turn the key, press on the gas peddle to the ground and notify your buddy under the car that its on.
3. the acd pump will come on and open the bleeder right away to let out air or fluid. Close bleeder when pump stops pumping usually after 3-5 seconds.
4. repeat 5-6 times.

good luck
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

So do I have to have someone loosin the bleed valve on the T-case while I do this?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
ob5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by twinturbogreg
So do I have to have someone loosin the bleed valve on the T-case while I do this?
Read what I quoted.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Ahhh My Bad! haha Thanks!

Read what I quoted.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Why do you need to bleed it may I ask?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

I put a new transfer case in the car. Factory over fill of fluid killed it

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Why do you need to bleed it may I ask?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Can I ask where you got this info?

Old Jul 1, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

^ That's how it is on the Evo IX's, I can confirm because I did it that way when I bled my transfer case after replacing the ACD unit.. I'm not sure if that same trick works on the X's. Have you tried it yet?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

I tried everything to get the get the pump to turn on and got nothing Anyone else have any idea's?

Originally Posted by black95tt
^ That's how it is on the Evo IX's, I can confirm because I did it that way when I bled my transfer case after replacing the ACD unit.. I'm not sure if that same trick works on the X's. Have you tried it yet?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So overfilling the reservoir can lead to ACD problems? Reason why I ask is I just did the clutch on my EVO and we removed the ACD line buy the tcase bolt. I thought you could just fill it up and it would be good to go. I now have all ACD lights on and the reservoir is about a half inch above the max line. I am gonna try and bleed it this way this weekend but until then any body know of any other issues with the ACD that happens after a clutch install?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Should be key to ACC position then throttle to the floor. Some people say they have to cycle the steering wheel back and forth, but I've never had to do it.

Also I've never heard of an overfilled TC causing failure. Not saying that its not possible,just counter intuitive. Seems like it woould be hard to overfill anyway due to the fact it comes gushing out the fill plug when its at it proper level.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

So overfilling the reservoir can lead to ACD problems? Reason why I ask is I just did the clutch on my EVO and we removed the ACD line buy the tcase bolt. I thought you could just fill it up and it would be good to go. I now have all ACD lights on and the reservoir is about a half inch above the max line. I am gonna try and bleed it this way this weekend but until then any body know of any other issues with the ACD that happens after a clutch install?
You definitly need to bleed your ACD system ASAP. You could possibly burn the pump up otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
EVOLREDRUM (Sep 3, 2020)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

People keep chiming in with Evo 8's and 9's.... This thread is about the EVO X. The ACC and throttle to the floor does not work on the Evo X like I said above.

Also it's been documented that there have been many T-case failures from overfill. Again for the Evo X.

Originally Posted by sr20det91
Should be key to ACC position then throttle to the floor. Some people say they have to cycle the steering wheel back and forth, but I've never had to do it.

Also I've never heard of an overfilled TC causing failure. Not saying that its not possible,just counter intuitive. Seems like it woould be hard to overfill anyway due to the fact it comes gushing out the fill plug when its at it proper level.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case ACD Bleeding