Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear end wobble?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end wobble?

Does worned bushings would cause a slight wobble at low send on bumps and at high speed?
Just got my car aligned and the rear trailing arms toe bushings are worned.

The car wobble from side to side even with increase tire pressure. It is not felt in the steering but a feeling that the chassis moves wiggling.
The problem started on uneven pavement and when hitting potholes at speed and ice the car would shift fast from one side to another.

Let me know what you think.

Would blown shocks cause this also? No leaks, on straight clean pavement no problem even with a few bumps, the same int the city.

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Apr 2, 2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had horrible rear end wobble on my 240 when the rear camber was way off (effecting toe) at low speed the rear end would move side to side unpredictably and lessen a bit at higher speed. fixed camber and adjusted toe to proper settings and the issue went away.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

The problem is that I aligned the car yesterday and it still wobbles. The bushings are worn for sure soo I will try it but toe is at 0 front and rear. Camber within specs. I guess it shakes and affect toe immediately because the bushings moves.

Would a tall crappy tire create some wobble too?

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Apr 2, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
worn bushings can cause a wobble due to suspension back there movin at higher speeds, try havin the tires balanced and right pressure put in first. how many miles on vehicle? have struts been changed? those can cause it too...recommend replacin parts first
Old Apr 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'll replace all bushings and report back.
Just changed my struts for a used MR bilsteins.
But the problem was there before thoses so...
Old Apr 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

112k miles
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

another thing it could possibly be other then bushings, shake the rear tires up and down at 12 and 6 o clock position, with that kinda mileage, you could also have a wheel hub bearing issue back there....two man job, one shakes it other look at the back of where the axle goes through the hub, see if you can see movement. Also look around the suspension, if you have worn parts, your car wouldnt have been aligned right in the first place, if the shop aligned it with worn parts sounds like they possibly wanted your money, or you wanted it aligned anyways. So check it yourself, or have a professional inspect your suspension to have the problem remedied once and for all.
Good luck
Old Apr 3, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your great help. Thats very good advice.

I'll check everything tomorrow and report back. I think I have also bent rims but I don't know if that cause the wobble at low AND high speed because it's intermittent and the feeling is that ONLY the chassis move form side to side not a vibration just the boat feeling.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

a bent wheel can cause it, to the eye kinda tough to tell if a wheel is bent other then seein if the lip on each side is bent, But best way to check if wheel is bent is having it spin on a balancer, if its bent itll hop like a basketball. So best bet, take each tire and wheel off go to an auto repair shop have them "road force balance" ask them if they have that, if they do itll be more expensive but youll get a better balance on the wheel. If not a normal balancer will work, but road force balancing puts a load wheel on the tire for a better balance, to get rid of the heavy spot on the tire. good luck pm me if you have any more questions.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
another thing it could possibly be other then bushings, shake the rear tires up and down at 12 and 6 o clock position, with that kinda mileage, you could also have a wheel hub bearing issue back there....two man job, one shakes it other look at the back of where the axle goes through the hub, see if you can see movement. Also look around the suspension, if you have worn parts, your car wouldnt have been aligned right in the first place, if the shop aligned it with worn parts sounds like they possibly wanted your money, or you wanted it aligned anyways. So check it yourself, or have a professional inspect your suspension to have the problem remedied once and for all.
Good luck
Good advice, but another way to check for wheel bearing play is to shake the wheel while the car is on the ground. Grab the top of the tire at 12:00 with both hands and pull back and forth with some decent effort. Try to get the car to shaking side to side. If there is any excessive end play, you will feel it. We use this method while doing tech inspection at autocrosses.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guy's good advice for sure...

Two bent rims in the back, put my winter tires and a lot better but not perfect, why?

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Apr 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE

Aligned before this: WOBBLES

Try something else as I thought is was the suspension?
RE-Swap winter wheels with good tires: WOBBLES
Re-swap stock suspension in perfect condition: WOBBLES
3 bent rims repaired and tires perfectly balanced: WOBBLES

The only thing left is toe bushings as I have play but wondering why THAT MUCH wobbling with bushings?

I'm desperate right now, soo much time, trouble, money .....AARRRRRRRRRRRRGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
UPDATE

Aligned before this: WOBBLES

Try something else as I thought is was the suspension?
RE-Swap winter wheels with good tires: WOBBLES
Re-swap stock suspension in perfect condition: WOBBLES
3 bent rims repaired and tires perfectly balanced: WOBBLES

The only thing left is toe bushings as I have play but wondering why THAT MUCH wobbling with bushings?

I'm desperate right now, soo much time, trouble, money .....AARRRRRRRRRRRRGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Yes, you must be frustrated, but those items should be fixed anyway so you haven't lost anything yet. Question: when you say you re-swapped the stock suspension in perfect condition, exactly which components did you swap?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I put back the whole shocks with spring assembly.

Even with the slight bump the car wobble side to side and doesnt want too stay straight
Not very confidence inspiring handling.

Chech every component as trainlings arms with a big metal bar and bearings
Nothing there just very little inner toe bushing play.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Its not the strut assembly - that does not control side to side movement. It's got to be in the suspension or wheel bearings somewhere, you're just not finding it. I count 9 bushing/balljoint locations in the rear suspension each side that could cause this. Are you sure you checked each one? Does the car rock side to side while you are pushing on it while stationary or while driving? And did you check the bushings and balljoints when the suspension is unloaded?

Quick Reply: Rear end wobble?