Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

White smoke from exhaust, rough idle, and a smell

Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke from exhaust, rough idle, and a smell

hey everyone, Ive been searching all over for help and i cant find anyone with the same problem, everyday i let my car warm up for about 10 mins before i driver her. then after driving for a little while, every time i slow down in neutral the idle drops to around 700rpms then goes back to around 1000 rpms n holds there, but then i get a smell in my car of exhaust fumes almost like a gas smell, and a small amount of white smoke comes out my exhaust. when i get on her to see what happens she still has power but when i look back i see alot of white smoke. anyone have a slight clue of what i can do, any help will be appreciated, again i looked everywhere.
mods-
stock turbo (not a mod)
turbosmart ebc
straight pipe
ams intercooler
thanks
-Chris
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any ses light? how much mileage? whens the last time you changed spark plugs? have you checked your ignition coils?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Might be a head gasket.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:48 AM

yeah my **** smoked out the rear o ly wen i beat on it and it was the piston ring split in half not kool at all check ur antifreeze really white or blue smoke?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackbenimbo
any ses light? how much mileage? whens the last time you changed spark plugs? have you checked your ignition coils?
i changed them to ngK Laser iridium ILFR7H but they burnt out in a week, they came pre gapped for the evo 9
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3voAl3x
yeah my **** smoked out the rear o ly wen i beat on it and it was the piston ring split in half not kool at all check ur antifreeze really white or blue smoke?
dam bro, but i no the antifreeze level stays the same, and its white smoke havent seen any blue at all
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by amsevokid
dam bro, but i no the antifreeze level stays the same, and its white smoke havent seen any blue at all

If the antifreeze is staying at the same level, your not blowing it out the tail pipe so thats a very good start. Id do a boost leak test and see if your getting any extra pressure coming from your head then normal ( oil cap )

Your headgasket is fine in all likely hood, and i seriously doubt you cracked the head anywhere but its a place to start looking,

could be egr emmisions related with the idol issue, have the same exact problem with my gsx ( primitive car i know ) but a new egr purge valve cleared it right up,, still doesnt explain the smoke on acceleration though,,

If it was blue smoke id be checking my oil levels and IC pipes for residue but you say its white smoke,, hmmm
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
If the antifreeze is staying at the same level, your not blowing it out the tail pipe so thats a very good start. Id do a boost leak test and see if your getting any extra pressure coming from your head then normal ( oil cap )

Your headgasket is fine in all likely hood, and i seriously doubt you cracked the head anywhere but its a place to start looking,

could be egr emmisions related with the idol issue, have the same exact problem with my gsx ( primitive car i know ) but a new egr purge valve cleared it right up,, still doesnt explain the smoke on acceleration though,,

If it was blue smoke id be checking my oil levels and IC pipes for residue but you say its white smoke,, hmmm
after looking into the smoke color more clostly ive noticed that it is slightly blue, so i did check the ic piping n there seems to b an oily residue on the bends of the ic piping closest to my intercooler, any other ideas i can try? thnx btw for the advice so far
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean oily residue on the inlet or outlet or both? That isn't bad necessarily, mist could get pushed past the seals but it could be an indication of bad seals.

Have you done a compression test?
Pulled the plugs to check for signs of fouling?
Checked the oil level, checked the coolant level?
Does the oil look black?
Does the coolant look green?

A quick indication of a bad head gasket is "chocolate milk" (oil and coolant mixing from the head gasket having burned passages) in the motor or radiator.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White smoke is water--so head gasket leak. BTW-- spark plugs DO NOT COME PRE-GAPPED. Pls check them now for proper gap.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

my friend had this issue with mis mazda speed6 and it was his turbo dieing out on him
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
White smoke is water--so head gasket leak. BTW-- spark plugs DO NOT COME PRE-GAPPED. Pls check them now for proper gap.
The iridiums do come pre-gapped...you are thinking of the copper plugs.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

A little oil in the ic piping and intake is normal if ur not running a catch can. It comes from the crankcase ventilation hose that runs from the right side of the valve cover to the bottom of ur intake. If its has higher mileage and its not a lot of blue smoke I would check the valve seals. They go out once the miles get higher on most vehicles
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Great... I got the same prob... This is bad news

Last edited by wizechef; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by amsevokid
after looking into the smoke color more clostly ive noticed that it is slightly blue, so i did check the ic piping n there seems to b an oily residue on the bends of the ic piping closest to my intercooler, any other ideas i can try? thnx btw for the advice so far
That turbo is shot. Sorry. I recommend either a new oem unit or you might want to look into a slightly larger aftermarket turbo. The latter will certainly require a tuning session after the turbo is installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White smoke from exhaust, rough idle, and a smell