Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

White smoke pouring out of exhaust!! Help

Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke pouring out of exhaust!! Help

06EvoIX
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Mitsubishi lancer Evolution IX

Hey guys. I have been having the same problem with the white smoke in my evo 9. Only difference is that I have a mishimoto thermostat that was claimed to be for evo 8 and 9. Turns out it's only for the 8.. So it's been improperly working for about a year... And now just today white smoke was bellowing out of the exhaust in the morning. I let it heat up and still smoke. It was cold and had just rained. But I can tell the difference between smoke and steam... People have told me that running racing thermostats are fine. But I knew that was bull... Especially since it's my daily driver and I had to drive threw winter like that.. With the needle barely above C. The exhaust smells like clean oil. But my car doesn't have a cat so it always smells. What should I do... I don't have money for a head repair and this is my only car to and from work... I'm so nervous. It has 76 thousand miles. What do u think it is? Can thermostats warp heads? also my vacuum has been fluctuating recently.. Since maybe September. At cold it vacuum idle is 14-15 and then when warm it's 18-17 mainly 17-16. Idle is completely normal. But when I gun it the idle will dip to about 400 and flutter before coming back to 800. Not all the time though.. It's all very random. Except the idle vacuum. Could all this be linked somehow? Also I had my transmission rebuilt and the guy said my turbo is going. So I don't know what to do cause everything is going at once. This is horrible lol.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:45 AM

First off dont gun it or beat on it, you might do more damage.

White smoke is normally Coolant, you should take a vid, of what is happening.

1) Are u losing coolant...? like is ur rad full or over flow still have any coolant.

2) you should do a do a compression test and leak down test, scope the motor.

3) Check your turbo for shaft play

You need to start checking things and stop driving the car, you could be doing more damage.

This is the cost of owing a performance car... sorry brother

good luck rob

Last edited by rob_96; Mar 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Weren't you ever worried that the temp never read above 'cold as hell'?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

same problem here, happened after i did my turbo install (fp black) White smoke POURS out of the exhaust. when cold once i drive it for about 5 min warmed its fine. but driving it slightly cold not going into boost i leave a trial of white smoke lol
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your PCV valve is stuffed up.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

how would i clean it out?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks yeah I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow. I started the car up again and I'm still getting smoke, smells like anitfreeze but my coolant level is normal. Not over flowing or anything. And of course I was worried about driving below cold as hell. But usual I'll let it warm all the way before driving... Once driving coolant temp drops to freezing. But i still get heat. I think it's the gasket. I haven't driven it hard since I got the thermo put in... Mainly cause I knew it was a bad idea. It feels like I've lost horsepower. I do have shaft play in the turbo. Guy at the shop said I have maybe 6 months. Before it goes. So it could be turbo. It could be gasket. Or both. However I don't think I have a warped head because the oil looks very clean and so does the coolant. Im putting the stock thermo back in tomorrow. I'm gonna order a new gasket and get the comp. Test done. I really hope it's not as bad as it could be. thanks for everyone's help. I learned a lot. Will post back when tests are done.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Something in me doubts that you haven't driven it hard this entire past year.

Also, did you ignore the part about "don't drive it until it's fixed"? It's your car, so it's your choice, but you're making a bad one.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I would assume it is the same coming from turbo diesels but someone correct me if I am wrong, When checking the turbo.. very slight side to side movement is normal. However, there should NOT be any in/out movement of the shaft.

Look under the oil cap to see if there is any milky tan residue on it...that is a tell tale sign of an engine that drinks coolant. Possible head gasket, warped, cracked, head, etc...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

One time I had the same thing happend, turns out to be the tube I ran from PCV valve to collect oil was clogged, so check PCV first.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:29 PM

not sure if this might help, but i just did a clutch job, but before the clutch job happened, i kind of beat on it once in a while and my friends from behind said i had tons of smoke come out my exhaust. the guy who did my clutch job said that he found excess amounts of oil in the aem intake, which got into my turbo, intercooler pipes, intercooler, throttle body, etc, and basically through my motor. i was burning up tons of oil. he said it might be cause i put in too much oil. if this might be a problem, he said clean out your intercooler pipes, and intercooler and invest in a catch can. hope this might help
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, since you think it is the thermostat, why don't you change it. Also, running cold can cause the ECU to dump way more fuel than normal. This looks like white smoke.

And, yeah, a bad pcv valve can pressurize the crankcase and force oil through the turbo. So, change that too.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

if your getting oil from the oil housing wouldnt that rule out the pcv valve forcing more oil in?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Well, since you think it is the thermostat, why don't you change it. Also, running cold can cause the ECU to dump way more fuel than normal. This looks like white smoke.

And, yeah, a bad pcv valve can pressurize the crankcase and force oil through the turbo. So, change that too.
running rich will give you black smoke, white smoke is from burning water.

Last edited by javicracer; Mar 16, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

its steam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White smoke pouring out of exhaust!! Help