Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

No front plate in IL, 2011 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No front plate in IL, 2011 edition

This died in the Rules committee last year, but there's already a bill working it's way through the Illinois General Assembly to get rid of the front license plate again:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...8&SessionID=84

One of the biggest changes is that they're proposing to shift all money saved to the State Police Operations Assistance Fund. There was an identical bill put forth by Rep. Chapin Rose that didn't have the language about savings going to SPOAF, but he just tabled it and signed on as a co-sponsor for this version.

(Personally, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of funneling the savings somewhere else; the state has an incredible level of debt, so the idea was to actually save money, right? Let SPOAF make the case for increased funding on their own. :P Plus, there doesn't appear to be any kind of cut-off here; how exactly do you determine the amount of savings after the first year or two? Politics, bah.)

----

Also, for people like me who tend to have non-functional cars hanging around, theres a bill in process to waive the delinquent registration renewal fee if the vehicle hasn't been running for two years or more:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...3&SessionID=84

Is it sad that I have a couple of cars that can take advantage of this right now?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
This died in the Rules committee last year, but there's already a bill working it's way through the Illinois General Assembly to get rid of the front license plate again:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...8&SessionID=84

One of the biggest changes is that they're proposing to shift all money saved to the State Police Operations Assistance Fund. There was an identical bill put forth by Rep. Chapin Rose that didn't have the language about savings going to SPOAF, but he just tabled it and signed on as a co-sponsor for this version.

(Personally, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of funneling the savings somewhere else; the state has an incredible level of debt, so the idea was to actually save money, right? Let SPOAF make the case for increased funding on their own. :P Plus, there doesn't appear to be any kind of cut-off here; how exactly do you determine the amount of savings after the first year or two? Politics, bah.)

----

Also, for people like me who tend to have non-functional cars hanging around, theres a bill in process to waive the delinquent registration renewal fee if the vehicle hasn't been running for two years or more:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...3&SessionID=84

Is it sad that I have a couple of cars that can take advantage of this right now?
Huh, I thought the front license plate thing was enacted Jan. 1 of 2010. Honestly the last time I was hassled for no front plate was with my junk 1G.

as far as the derelict cars thing... this past weekend, I increased my "% of cars running" from 50% to 66% by selling 1 of my 4 cars. I was at only 25% in January.

These figures exclude wife's car, and Jon's 2 Evos (one of which is down for the count).

You still @ Fermilab, logic?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Hopefully this passes. I haven't had to pay a ticket for it yet but I did get pulled over and got a warning for it last year. Fortunately, I don't get hasseled by the cops in my area too much for my car cuz I'm really trying to avoid marring my front bumper with a license plate bracket.

The other thing about IL that doesn't make any sense to me is that it's OK to only have 1 plate if it's a temporary but when you get the real plates they want you to use two Clearly the rule isn't that big of a deal if they can't bother to keep it consistent.

Last edited by Ian0611; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Out here in Cali, my friend has his front license plate on the correct way with the factory bracket and they still hassled him saying "BY LAW" it has to be in the center of the front bumper lol. What a load of crap!! Seems like they have nothing else better to do
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by derekste
Huh, I thought the front license plate thing was enacted Jan. 1 of 2010.
You might be thinking of the new tint law; people still seem to be having trouble with that (local law enforcement not getting the memo, local prosecutors saying "state law doesn't apply to us! home rule!", etc).

Honestly the last time I was hassled for no front plate was with my junk 1G.
Funny thing, the last time I had a problem with not having a front plate was with my wife's 1g (which has two broken bolts where the plate frame attaches ). The Evo has always had a front plate, so no loss for me, but I know folks here were interested in last year's law. This version might have a better chance of success, despite being (IMHO) a pretty bad compromise for a state that's out of money.

You still @ Fermilab, logic?
Yep, but it remains to be seen how much longer I'll be there. Apparently, DoE and the Office of Science have a large target painted on them by the newly-elected congress.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always have heard its for viewing reasons, why we have to run a front plate. Supoosedly its for cops to be able spot your vehicle easier.

If thats the case, why are the motorcycle plates so small, and you only have to run a rear plate!

I had never been bothered by it, till last year, I got pulled over 3 times and a warning for no front plate in my 1g. All of them were state cops or county sheriffs. The local pd doesnt give a crap.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I always have heard its for viewing reasons, why we have to run a front plate. Supoosedly its for cops to be able spot your vehicle easier.

If thats the case, why are the motorcycle plates so small, and you only have to run a rear plate!

I had never been bothered by it, till last year, I got pulled over 3 times and a warning for no front plate in my 1g. All of them were state cops or county sheriffs. The local pd doesnt give a crap.
Same here. The only time I got hassled about it was from a state cop.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:35 AM

Well, once I got pulled over for speeding and loud exhaust in my honda. Since he wasn't able to clock me, he let me go on that but got me on loud exhaust, tints, and no front plates even though I had front plates. I kindly asked why and he said it was because it was recessed in a bit so it was not viewable. Huh? It's the same like trying to view car plates from the opposite corner where it's being mounted. Long story short, cop decides to impound my car. Had to pay over $300 in fines as well as damages to the car from the flatbed too. Like others have mentioned, it all depends on the cop and how he/she feels.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

If we dont have to have front plates in illinois im gonna be pissed cause thats the only reason i got it so i wouldnt get pulled over every single time, funny thing is i did get pulled over for my front plate and the cop didnt see it, dumbass
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't had a front license plate since I bought the car brand new in 2005.....and not one ticket.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eldiablo79
I haven't had a front license plate since I bought the car brand new in 2005.....and not one ticket.
living on a farm with 50 acres of land and your nearest neighbor is 5 miles away DOES NOT COUNT!!!. JK
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eldiablo79
then you must be lucky. I have the evo x front plate and the cop STILL pulled me over cause she didnt see it. Im like its right here and shes like oh nvm then
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newmitsuowner
living on a farm with 50 acres of land and your nearest neighbor is 5 miles away DOES NOT COUNT!!!. JK
I live in downtown Chicago!.....oh I haven't updated my profile lol.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i heard its so the radar/laser can bounce off of something accurately
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So....any news about this? I have heard it was denied....again!

My g/f just got her x se, i dont want to drill holes in the front for the plate bracket and then find out the law is taken away! lol

Quick Reply: No front plate in IL, 2011 edition