Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

metal vs. silicone intake tubes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
metal vs. silicone intake tubes?

ive been reading around for like two hours now, and i cannot find and concrete reasons why one may be better than the other.

i have already read through all the filter test stuff, and my car came with an amsoil filter on it utilizing the stock intake pipe. obviously i am looking to upgrade that since it can be worth 10-15hp from what ive gathered.

so does anyone have any concrete evidence as to if/why one material is better than the other? i like the perrin setup and the new release is about to be released, but i cant use it if i upgrade turbos in the future. the ets is nice and i do like their products and it even sounds like there are no idle issues with the new version.

i have searched plenty of threads on both intakes, but i can only find concrete evidence on the filters and not the pipes.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal vs Silicone? Hmm, if both intakes are of the same design and have the same inner diameter and the same filter on them, there should really be no difference. The material of the pipe itself won't hinder or benefit the flow unless the surface roughness is different, ie one being rough and one smooth. However, both will most likely be smooth on the inside and the difference, if any, should be negligible as far as I can tell. Someone might argue that they

1. have different heat transfer properties
2. that the silicon could potentially bend or get kinked and reduce the flow area

but
1. the intake air goes into the turbo and gets heated anyway, so this difference is negligible.
2. the silicon product is not very likely to get kinked and cause a problem unless you applied a force to it in order to cause this.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
silicone works way better if you're still on mass airflow sensor. the metal intake pipes create vibrations that mess with the maf reading.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
silicone works way better if you're still on mass airflow sensor. the metal intake pipes create vibrations that mess with the maf reading.
thats in interesting piece of info. but how are vibrations messing with the maf reading? and how much of an influence is it?

some reading seems to point to the new ets metal pipe working quite well since it was designed around a stock car. but i cant get a tune any time soon, so i dont want to wind up with a crappy idle..
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
thats in interesting piece of info. but how are vibrations messing with the maf reading? and how much of an influence is it?

some reading seems to point to the new ets metal pipe working quite well since it was designed around a stock car. but i cant get a tune any time soon, so i dont want to wind up with a crappy idle..
because evos use a karman vortex mass air flow sensor, it reads the air passing over/by the sensor so vibrations in the air can cause it to read incorrectly thus causing rich/lean spots
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for that, didnt know it was such a specific maf, im used to just a straight through GM style hot wire maf setup on my other car.

so i guess the question is then has ETS really made the new intake any better?

the damn samco pipe alone is quite pricey. i like the perrin intake but that too is quite pricey and who knows what the availability will be after re-release.

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Nov 17, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is perrin re-designing their intake? When is it set to be re-released?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for that, didnt know it was such a specific maf, im used to just a straight through GM style hot wire maf setup on my other car.

so i guess the question is then has ETS really made the new intake any better?

the damn samco pipe alone is quite pricey. i like the perrin intake but that too is quite pricey and who knows what the availability will be after re-release.
You can pick up a perrin or samco pipe here used for well under $100 if you look around.

I think I paid around $60 shipped for my perrin one. I use it for both MAF setup with no issues and when I run SD with a much larger filter. Also perrin one has a nice transition from the 3" maf opening to the stock 2.5" turbo inlet. Most metal intakes use a coupler by the turbo for this transition. If want to be picky, you can argue that this causes turbulence.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:42 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
...obviously i am looking to upgrade that since it can be worth 10-15hp from what ive gathered.
If this were so, every Evo here would have an aftermarket intake pipe. Clearly, that is not the case.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read that changing the intake filter does reflect in gains or loses for the evo, but I haven't heard anything on the intake tube itself. Only gain on a metal intake is the sound of the DV, I have the ralliart intake BTW, it sound cool.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the silicone couplers should stop the vibration in the metal ones.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

If I put the stock air box back on my car id lose around 30whp guaranteed. yes the stock airbox sucks and is EXTREMELY restrictive!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
the silicone couplers should stop the vibration in the metal ones.
You would think. But ive never seen a metal intake that didnt require maf scaling to make the car work to the best of its ability, where as a silicone intake requires no scaling because there are no interruptions between the maf and intake.

The only thing bad I can say about the silicone intakes is this; They are a pain in the *** to take off and on because they are so tight its so hard to fit them over the turbo inlet. You pretty much need to remove it from the maf first to get it over the turbo then you gotta fit the maf back and in order for me to do this i use a screw driver to wedge it back on like a small shoe fitting a big foot.. yes its annoying and when they are new they are even harder to fit over
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
If I put the stock air box back on my car id lose around 30whp guaranteed. yes the stock airbox sucks and is EXTREMELY restrictive!
Sure, when you're running a 2.3 with a Black on a double-pumper. On a stock-ish car...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FJF
Sure, when you're running a 2.3 with a Black on a double-pumper. On a stock-ish car...
stock evo about 8-10whp depending on airflow being pushed.

Quick Reply: metal vs. silicone intake tubes?