Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transfer case death whine? Is that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case death whine? Is that bad?

Hey, was just looking today at a used evo 7. Supposedly everything works fine except the owner told me it has a problem in the transfer case ( in the center of the car between the 2 differentions.). And when you drive it you can hear it make a whining noise, especially at speeds over 60mph its becomes very clear the sound, and its pretyy annoying. The owner although sais that you dont have to change it and you can drive it as is for however long you want and it wont make any mechincal problems and it wont be more prone to break, all it does is make a whining noise. Is this true or if i buy it would it be better to buy a new transfer case?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
You would definitely need a new transfer case. If you kept the bad one, the whine would continue to get louder and there is a chance it could completely lock up while youre driving it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:36 PM

Well, if it locks up, what else would that screw up, the tranny?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

i just had the death whine earlier this year and i parked it after 2 days of hearing it. i wouldnt risk it locking up. idk if it would hurt anything else outside of the transfer case but depending how it locks up im sure it can shatter the transfer case which means u would have to buy a completly new unit which is alot more than just a rebuild. wouldnt want that to happen to me at 60mph on the highway.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:04 PM

oh and another thing, the tarmac gravel and snow options were all lit up, and the switch for them was like broken it was loose and falling inside, the owner said it was from the transfer case, does that have anything to do with it though? all 3 were lit up at the same time... weird
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pb91
oh and another thing, the tarmac gravel and snow options were all lit up, and the switch for them was like broken it was loose and falling inside, the owner said it was from the transfer case, does that have anything to do with it though? all 3 were lit up at the same time... weird
low on fluid.. fill up with fluid and bleed
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by srtboostin22
low on fluid.. fill up with fluid and bleed
You mean fill the transfer case with fluid? what do you mean by bleed?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

so many hints that the car was not taken care of

walk away
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

If it has a whining transfer case, and the ACD switch is loose and falling, you'd be best to walk away from it because it sounds beat. If you are getting a great deal on it, you could consider it, but it will be a project.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This usually means a fault with the ACD system. Anything from a fluid change, to a bad sensor could be the cause. I'd suggest walking away from this car. Too many issues!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DragonDog
This usually means a fault with the ACD system. Anything from a fluid change, to a bad sensor could be the cause. I'd suggest walking away from this car. Too many issues!
Im gonna take it to a garage to get a full check-up on it, and then i will give a money offer accordingly, anyway it will only be a summer car for me that i will be driving (long story why i will only drive it in the summer, dont ask), so i will give a money offer of what i think its worth after i get the full check up, it not accepted i guess i wont buy it but ill have to wait and see.

So basically, my final questions are:

1. Can i drive it with the whining noise (without replacing the TC)if im carefull (not beating on the car, and not doing rough launches), and if i dont and it locks up, what will it affect other than the TC.

2. Can i add more fluid and "bleed" without removing the transfer case ( is it easy)?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

1. Imagine all 4 wheels locking up at 60mph and that's what could happen. the damage is done already, that's why it's whining. Driving it will just make it worse.

2. ACD can be bled and fluid added w/o removing the t-case.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brenner
so many hints that the car was not taken care of

walk away
+1
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Im gonna take it to a garage to get a full check-up on it, and then i will give a money offer accordingly, anyway it will only be a summer car for me that i will be driving (long story why i will only drive it in the summer, dont ask), so i will give a money offer of what i think its worth after i get the full check up, it not accepted i guess i wont buy it but ill have to wait and see.

So basically, my final questions are:

1. Can i drive it with the whining noise (without replacing the TC)if im carefull (not beating on the car, and not doing rough launches), and if i dont and it locks up, what will it affect other than the TC.

2. Can i add more fluid and "bleed" without removing the transfer case ( is it easy)?

There are more Evo's out there than just this one.. The more you would drive the car with the TC whining the more damage you would do, regardless of how hard you drove the car. If the TC would end up locking up lets look at what it's all attached to..

(worst case)

Rear...
If the TC locks up at 60mph that would lock up the driveshaft and either break it in half, twist in a pretzel, or hold it's own which all the shock goes to the rear differential which will more than likely explode or have most of the teeth from the gears lying at the bottom of the diff. from being ripped off. You have to remember that the drive shaft is spinning more than 4 times the amount of a tire per revolution. So... that's a lot
Front...
If the TC locks up, what is it directly bolted onto.. the transmission, which is full of gears that probably woProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

27t be there anymore once you come to a skidding stop.. That is, if both of the front half-shafts don't do what the rear drive shaft will more than likely do. Also the trans. is also bolted to the engine block, and going from 60mph which is some where around 2.5krpm (2,500 revolutions per. minute) to NO revolutions in an instant... yea.. that's not shaping up to be an easy repair.

If you get the car for extremely cheap.. like no one will ever believe you cheap, first thing you should do is take the TC off and send it out to get rebuild by someone reliable.. Shep., Buschur, ect.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

walk away.

Quick Reply: Transfer case death whine? Is that bad?