Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune-Auto 500 Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fortune-Auto 500 Coilover Review

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a set of Fortune-Auto 500 Coilovers and decided to post a review as most are hesitant to buy a relatively new coilover. During my search for coilovers I looked at companies from AST to Megan to KW to Stance, etc. While price was somewhat of a concern for me, I still considered more expensive options. However, after I evaluated what the uses of my car were going to be for (only 4+ track days per year) I decided the Fortune-Auto's would suit my needs sufficiently.

I contacted Fortune-Auto via PM with a few questions regarding spring rates and such and was recommended Front: 8k, Rear: 10k. I placed my order and it was shipped promptly.

P.S. They respond to PMs promptly.

The specs of the coilovers are:

-Dyno tested
-Stainless steel body / piston
-30-way adjustable dampers
-Pillowball mounts
-Forged aluminum locking collars
-Dust boots on all pistons
-50mm piston (beyond the industry standard of 44-47mm)
-Anodized aluminum camber plates** on front upper-mounts
-Fully anodized body
-1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
-Height adjustment independent of preload
-ISO 9002 certification

More information can be found on their website www.fortune-auto.com

One thing that caught my attention immediately was the availability of their shock dyno graph. This alone was a plus in my book as most companies do not even provide graphs.

Build Quality

The build quality and massive size of the pistons make the coilovers look very beefy and strong. The finish on the coilovers also feel like it should be on a 2k+ coilover not a 1k coilover. They look and feel like they will last the lifetime on any car. Both the camber plates and strut mounts are thicker than any other coilover I have seen and I think are made of T6 Aluminum. No one should have any problems with the coilovers breaking.

Ride Quality & Performance

Most importantly they ride relatively smoothly and quietly for a "low-end" coilover. Living in Los Angeles and having to commute daily on the 5, 110, and 10 freeways, most Southern California natives know how rough and bumpy these roads can be. The Fortune-Auto's absorb these bumps well and driving on them is not painful at all.

I haven't been able to take them to the track yet or go on any mountain roads but from the turns I have taken fast they kept my car planted and firm both at low and high speeds. The steering is sharp and the 10k spring in the back helps rotate the heavy Evo X. I am however planning on going to the track very soon and am excited to see how they perform as I feel like they'd perform just as well as any other mid-range coilover.

Summary

If anyone is looking for a well-built coilover and around the 1k-1.5k price-point, without hesitation I'd recommend the Fortune-Auto's. For the price I don't think they can be beat.

Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the price on these?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

PM Import Image, they're the major retailers for Fortune-Auto I believe.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

So how stiff is the ride doing over bumps?? 10k is quite high for spring rate. My stance's are getting quite intense. Is the ride bouncy at all?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Any pics of the stance!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Hey EVOheaven, how do you adjust the rear dampers? Do they have extenders?

Also I heard the fronts do not come with a stud to hold the stock brake lines in place....they supply brackets right? Do these work well or did you have to ghetto rig it?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

very nice man. this is the coilover setup im currently saving for. just need a couple hundred bucks more. i think they look superior to megans, and i probably wont track my car. i may try an auto x day or 2 but this is my every day car so i dont need serious track coil overs. and id rather take the extra thousand dollars and put it towards other mods....like wheels

as for price, i believe the last price i saw was $999 shipped.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

I’m still wondering:
What’s wrong with our stock suspension?
Or is just to see your green springs every time that you wash your car?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

these are my favorite coilovers.....wish i had the cash to buy them.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
I’m still wondering:
because stock the car has ZERO stance and sits like a monster truck
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Some people actually take these cars to road courses where the steering wheel gets turned left and right.

The stock suspension is decent but you can only get so much body roll control with 3k spring rates. Moving to coilovers with 10k spring rates and properly calibrated shocks to control them makes the car handle better in every regard with much less body roll. Once you lower the caran inch or more you can't even see the green springs but you'll notice the stance looking much more aggressive. When I see the side shots of the Evo X on the Mitsu website, I cringe at the wheel gaps since they really do look like a monster truck!

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
I’m still wondering:
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Some people actually take these cars to road courses where the steering wheel gets turned left and right.

The stock suspension is decent but you can only get so much body roll control with 3k spring rates. Moving to coilovers with 10k spring rates and properly calibrated shocks to control them makes the car handle better in every regard with much less body roll. Once you lower the caran inch or more you can't even see the green springs but you'll notice the stance looking much more aggressive. When I see the side shots of the Evo X on the Mitsu website, I cringe at the wheel gaps since they really do look like a monster truck!

+1...the evo is an amazing car to drive on the street stock....but once you put it on a road course with some high speed turns...you'll start to see its weaknesses....but even at a road course at stock suspension, it still handles much better than a lot of other cars
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

i love their stuff
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven88
Hey EVOheaven, how do you adjust the rear dampers? Do they have extenders?

Also I heard the fronts do not come with a stud to hold the stock brake lines in place....they supply brackets right? Do these work well or did you have to ghetto rig it?

^^, in addition, hows the spring rate in the LA streets with all the bumps etc?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

bump for some answers

Quick Reply: Fortune-Auto 500 Coilover Review