Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EBC Yellowstuff Review

Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
EBC Yellowstuff Review

After completing the break in period, I put these to the test on a slow course auto-x. My only comparison to this point on the X is the stock brakes, so I can only offer that perspective.

First the bad:
The instructions don't quite capture how loud the brake squeal is during the break in period. They say go 200 miles of standard in town driving before bedding them. Even using anti-vibration compound, they sound like a cat getting electrocuted for the first 50 or so miles. After that, it's irregular but still occurs. It was an embarrassing 200 miles, but it mostly stopped after the bedding procedure.

Now to the good (or great):
These things have fantastic bite. I was amazed at how much my braking became razor sharp, without the loss of touch I've experienced with some other pads (on other cars). For the money, I would highly recommend them.

I've got some bluestuff pads on the way, and will do a comparison and post the results.

Jim

PS - you can see the X in action and read more reviews on their website. I am in no way sponsored or being compensated by EBC.

http://www.ebcbrakesblog.com/2010/06...-by-jim-martz/
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice review.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

I'm assuming you didn't notice any fade while on the auto-x course?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

Absolutely no fade. In fact, what I did notice is I had better stopping power in the afternoon after I warmed them up on lunch. They were a little cold in the 55 degree morning.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to kind of feel out where the review is coming from, you're not one of the ones who got these for free, right?

I'm considering my options on a new set of pads, so I'm just trying to get the whole story. Thanks for the review.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

I don't know what you mean by whole story, but yes I did get them free. If you're referring to bias, as I said I am not sponsored by them or anything like that. I'm also not someone who spent a bunch of money on pads and want them to be good. I got some free pads to try out a brand I hadn't used in the past. I gave my impressions - both good and bad. I'm not sure how I got the pads makes the story more whole. Getting free pads does not equal loyalty to the company. I considered myself a tester and I published my results.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

stock rotors?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nsomniac
I don't know what you mean by whole story, but yes I did get them free. If you're referring to bias, as I said I am not sponsored by them or anything like that. I'm also not someone who spent a bunch of money on pads and want them to be good. I got some free pads to try out a brand I hadn't used in the past. I gave my impressions - both good and bad. I'm not sure how I got the pads makes the story more whole. Getting free pads does not equal loyalty to the company. I considered myself a tester and I published my results.
That may be the case, but in the interest of full disclosure when you say things like this:

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
I am in no way sponsored or being compensated by EBC.
when EBC actually gave you a free set of brake pads, to me, that looks suspicious. I was just trying to figure out if that was the case, which it apparently was. Especially since the page the promotion was posted on is Titled "SPONSORED RACE DRIVER SIGN UP - USA & CANADA ONLY".

I'm not saying your review was anything less than 100% accurate and honest, but it certainly seems like that was something you should have disclosed, given your claim above.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by DirtyCookieX
stock rotors?
Yes, stock rotors.

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
That may be the case, but in the interest of full disclosure when you say things like this:

when EBC actually gave you a free set of brake pads, to me, that looks suspicious. I was just trying to figure out if that was the case, which it apparently was. Especially since the page the promotion was posted on is Titled "SPONSORED RACE DRIVER SIGN UP - USA & CANADA ONLY".

I'm not saying your review was anything less than 100% accurate and honest, but it certainly seems like that was something you should have disclosed, given your claim above.
I guess I just consider sponsorship to be them paying me, or me having to either show their product or represent them in any fashion. I got the free pads as part of an SCCA promotion, and don't have to display their decal or have any formal contract with them. I don't think getting a free set of pads to try out has anything to do with sponsorship or compensation, much like any race magazine or consumer reporting agency that receives free equipment for review. If I were to believe the pads were bad, I would have wrote they're bad. There's no tie between myself and their company.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

i was using the yellow stuff at a track day at NPR in Louisiana in august.. heat index of 115 and the last corner after a 10 minute session i still had the same bite as lap 1... great pads, however i just switched to raybestos for track duty, yellowstuff for dd and autox
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put the yellows on (got the free) just before I sold the car. They reminded me of the Ferodo DS2500, but had nowhere near as good initial bite as the DTC-30. There is NO way I'd have run them on the track with 400tq/375hp as they'd have no chance of surviving (I ran the DTC-30's once on the track and didn't like the feel).
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I put the yellows on (got the free) just before I sold the car. They reminded me of the Ferodo DS2500, but had nowhere near as good initial bite as the DTC-30. There is NO way I'd have run them on the track with 400tq/375hp as they'd have no chance of surviving (I ran the DTC-30's once on the track and didn't like the feel).
Goofygrin, would you opt for the DS2500 for light track use over the DTC-30? I'm trying to pick. So far, OEM pads/rotors have not been an issue for me as far as brake fade on the track, although I will back off if I smell brakes...
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dtc-30s are very grabby, so they are hard to modulate. The ds2500s are easier to modulate.