Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aquamist HSF-6 Meth Kit. Meth Experts Inside...

Old May 31, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aquamist HSF-6 Meth Kit. Meth Experts Inside...

1. Who has this kit?

2. How much do you trust if for Daily Driving Duties?

3. Any pictures of tank installs?

I have an FP Red X with full bolt on's minus cams. Trying to decide which route to go. Meth will net me more power but I don't know if I trust a meth kit. If it fails my motor goes boom and I am trying to avoid that. From my research the HSF-6 kit is one of the best on the market if not the best.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:24 AM

"motor goes boom" - only if you tune for meth. If you add meth to your non-meth tune, you will still gain HP, just not the max. Appreciate that meth is the ultimate IC for you will be below ambient temps.

An option would be to have a Cobb AP w/ two maps - non-meth and meth tune and in the event of a failure switch.

PS - here in Florida when we get a cold day, everyone's non aspirated car feels extra frisky (i.e. strong). Perhaps you have felt the difference between your summer and winter months ? running meth w/ a non-meth tune - it will always be winter.

Last edited by Evo&Son; May 31, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'd essentially be wasting $900 not including install, unless you do it yourself, if you dont tune for it; huge waste. The HFS6 is one of if not the most advanced system on the market and in terms of monitoring and safety, is also one of the best.

And as to what was said about gaining power without tuning from it, you basically wouldnt be gaining much power, if any power at all without tuning for it. The point of it is to increase timing and raise boost. If neither are done after the kit is added in, sure your intake temps will be lower, but how much power that would yield alone Id say would be minimal at best.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:50 AM

What makes some kits better then others? Everyone is saying the one that is currently installed on my car is terrible...Any insight would be good!!
Old May 31, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

People like talking out of their *** basically. They read one persons poor experience, which usually stems from a poor install, not in all cases, but most, and then everyone bases their opinions off one forum read.

Which kit do you have? SMC?
Old May 31, 2010, 08:46 AM

I think it's the smc kit,Here is a picture for reference..

I wouldn't mind spending the coin down the road for a better/safer and more reliable system,But i don't want to waste 900 when i could put that $$ else wheres.....
Old May 31, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

well the rally cars are running aquamist ! so how good/reliable it is you name it.

richard, chiem in pls hahaha...

and yes i'm going to get the hfs kit

yes you will need to tune to gain the most from yr investment.

ecuflash u can dual maps too :P

GL with your decision. oyu may want to consider hfs3 for evo x.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Subbed for info

Originally Posted by One SIcK eVo
What makes some kits better then others? Everyone is saying the one that is currently installed on my car is terrible...Any insight would be good!!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

yes thats the SMC kit. I have the SMC kit, and the only downsides of it ultimately are no failsafe was offered and the pumps basically are garbage. Otherwise it does what all the other kits do, it has a progressive controller and it sprays lol.

I replaced my pump with AlkyControl's Shurflo pump and soldered in the SMC harness to the new shurflos wiring.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:52 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Do it. Aquamist makes the best kits on the market, hands down. I put 30k miles and 2 years on my HFS-1 after 15 months and 20k miles on my SMC alky kit. Yup that's right, 50k miles of alky injection, and it was 100% WORTH IT! Holy crap the stock turbo or an upgraded turbo with more octane, the car comes to LIFE! Stock bottom end was always happy, just setup your failsafe properly. Tephra will have mapswitching out very very very soon and you will have NOTHING to fear. Yes a retune is necessary to take full advantage of it, you'll want to run 4-6°*more timing and need to yank about 10-15% out of your fuel table while the meth is pumping.

Tons of info in the alky forum, but I like this post best:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...ther-last.html

Simple facts:
-50whp/50wtq gains with retune
-it's safe
-it's affordable
-its reliable

Umm, thanks. Now I'm thinking about putting my HFS-1 kit out of my evo8 into my X. :P
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes! don't be a wuss Scheides, do it!

Originally Posted by scheides
Do it. Aquamist makes the best kits on the market, hands down. I put 30k miles and 2 years on my HFS-1 after 15 months and 20k miles on my SMC alky kit. Yup that's right, 50k miles of alky injection, and it was 100% WORTH IT! Holy crap the stock turbo or an upgraded turbo with more octane, the car comes to LIFE! Stock bottom end was always happy, just setup your failsafe properly. Tephra will have mapswitching out very very very soon and you will have NOTHING to fear. Yes a retune is necessary to take full advantage of it, you'll want to run 4-6°*more timing and need to yank about 10-15% out of your fuel table while the meth is pumping.

Tons of info in the alky forum, but I like this post best:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...ther-last.html

Simple facts:
-50whp/50wtq gains with retune
-it's safe
-it's affordable
-its reliable

Umm, thanks. Now I'm thinking about putting my HFS-1 kit out of my evo8 into my X. :P
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by One SIcK eVo
What makes some kits better then others?
Progressive controllers (just about all kits). integrated flow based failsafes (Aquamist, cooling mist & (i think) snow performance) and tuning features. I am running coolingmist CMGS system and there is 4 pages of configurable options.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

I run a coolingmist.. no problems so far.. very configurable as well and the CMGS acts as a boost guage and flowmeter. Customer service is pretty good as well with CM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:02 PM

how much exacly does he hfs-3 kit gor for
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I am getting a HFS-3 kit. I am not too sure if I can talk about non vendors here, but there is a vendor if you google them, Howerton Engineering. Best Aquamist pricing, awesome technical support, and they will give you a free tank, and drill the holes for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aquamist HSF-6 Meth Kit. Meth Experts Inside...