Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mud flaps... do they really work?

Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud flaps... do they really work?

Alright, I've been wondering lately if putting mud flaps on our car really help rocks from hitting the corners of our rear doors, and side skirts. I ordered a pair of Rally Armor mud flaps, and put them on probably about 8 months ago. I still notice that when I drive by little patches of gravel I can still hear a lot of rocks shooting up and hitting my car. Sounds basically the same as when I didn't have mud flaps on my car. If rocks are still hitting my car I really don't get how (since I don't think my tires can make the rocks curve around the mud flap and hit my car). I can't really tell if I'm getting more rock chips because my doors and side skirts were already chipped to hell when I didn't have the mud flaps on. Does anyone know if they've noticed less chips on their cars with mud flaps?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

they work slightly, but slightly is better than nothing at all
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
they work good for me
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

i got mud flaps and im happy with them.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

I got the Rally Armor mud flaps when I just started to see a few rock chips in my side skirts and rear door. I thought it would protect against it, but it has not. Definitely go with the 3M clear bra stuff if you want protection from rocks. I'd also recommend the mud flaps too, just for added protection and keeping your car cleaner.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by wiretap
I got the Rally Armor mud flaps when I just started to see a few rock chips in my side skirts and rear door. I thought it would protect against it, but it has not. Definitely go with the 3M clear bra stuff if you want protection from rocks. I'd also recommend the mud flaps too, just for added protection and keeping your car cleaner.
Can't beat both!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I use both. All damage and dings have stopped. =)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

My car already had too many rock chips before, will be fixed soon. However with driving in the rain and slush snow, I can notice a huge difference on how clean the car is comparing with no mud flaps.

With +20 and +15 offset wheels, I would try my best to avoid even a puddle, it was that bad. Now, car stays much cleaner. No more washing the car 1-3 times a week.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Rally Armor mud flaps and still get paint chips, but there are certainly less chips than before I had the flaps. Check the backside of the flaps - mine are all chewed up and chipped, so I'm glad the mud flaps took a beating instead of my car's paint.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:05 AM

I got the RA mud flaps almost as soon as I got my car and they have done a great job of protecting the lower part of my car. If only they could protect my front fenders and my hood, haha
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

The mud flaps work well but your best bet is to couple them with the 3M clear bra as others have said.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Work for me.. Glad I got them
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
They work freaking awesome!

My first Evo X was blue, had it 8500 miles, and it looked sandblasted.

My current Evo X is black, it has 9000 miles, and there is very, very little chips. I would say the Rally Armor front flaps block 95% of rock chips. They are good.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Well I got the 3M protective film on the corners of the rear doors from the dealer, but the film is so small I had so many rock chips around it. I did check my mud flaps and they don't seem that chewed up, still looks like they are in pretty good condiition, haha. Maybe they are working better than I'm thinking they are, just that hearing all the *tick tick ting* sounds when I drive by gravel gets me paranoid haha.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:33 PM

Based on input from this great forum, I had both the RA mudflaps and 3M clearbra installed within a week of buying my MR back in July of 2008. I don't have any rock chips on the rear doors. The combo seems to do a pretty good job of protecting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mud flaps... do they really work?