Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cant get into gear while car is running

Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cant get into gear while car is running

First off thanks in advance for any and all helpful answers. Secondly please only respond if you have something that can help as I need to get my car back up and running.

Here is what happened, I have an 05 evo and last Thursday on the way home from work I stopped at a stop light and could no longer get my car into first gear. I was able to get it into second gear but when shifting to third it would not go into the gate. I ended up having to leave it in a parking lot. I called a guy Hugh who is a member on here and has done my last 2 (and only 2 clutch jobs) to see if he could help. Well popped the hood and saw that the acd res is completely empty. When starting the car and letting out the clutch I get a whine and then it goes away. I cannot get the car into gear when the motor is running. I can get through the gates when the car is off. I found the source of why the acd is/was empty as it turns out the bleeder screw is stripped (when I put it back in the plug it just spinned, never locked in). Apparently during the last clutch job lock tight was used on the thread to get it to stay in the slot. Well it leaked/is leaking and spewed acd fluid all over my down pipe. I have tried getting ahold of Hugh with very limited results and not too much help nor any desire to help. I did the acd bleed thinking there was air in the line. There is no air in the acd, and the pump works fine. Yet I still cannot get the car in gear. I got the car home from where I had to leave it by continually putting the car in gear while off then starting it and driving til I got home. Yes I know not good for the clutch but the only way I could get it back to my place to take a better look at it. At one point I was able to get the car into gear (doing the starting method) and I pulled it into neutral and was able to run through the gates with the car running. Thing is as soon as the car moved so much for getting it into the gates.

I need to know if anyone has encountered this before and how/if there were able to fix it? I think the clutch is not disengaging therefore keeping blocking me from even going into gear from neutral. Please as I would love to get my car back running so I can get to work on Monday. This is my daily driver.

Thanks again

Last edited by rodeo0808; Apr 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: missed putting in year of car
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe the spring clip came undone?

what clutch is it?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Have you checked your slave cylinder?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

I looked through the observation hole and from what i could see the pressure plate looked fine. This is a ACT street clutch. I don't have heavy mods or anything either.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MeFryRice
Have you checked your slave cylinder?
No I have not. I will do a search on here to see how to do that. There was a reason why I paid that guy to install the clutch as when it comes to things like this, I don't like doing it with out picture to how it should look and detailed instructions. Don't want to mess up my daily driver.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

morning bump
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Man that sucks... Good luck.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...djustment.html

Simple to adjust. Perhaps "Hugh" ol' boy may have left the securing nut loose? Start here.
Also, you may want to remove the trans fluid fill bolt. Stick your pinky in there and make sure there is fluid.

Then call Sheptrans, Buschur or TRE
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I did the clutch pedal adjustment yesterday and it was fine. The bleeder screw is stripped and that is the only place that fluid is coming out. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow morning to get a new bleeder screw. Once that is in place I can try it from there. I hope I dont have to call Shepard for a new tranny.....

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

To finish this thread out, the person that originally installed that clutch did a horrible job and the springs popped out. Ended up taking it to a shop and gettting a whole new clutch install.