Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Spoolin'Up COP Review

Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Spoolin'Up COP Review

Purchased the prefabbed kit without issue and my questions were all answered quickly. I purchased the recommended part numbers listed on the website, which lead me to a set of COP's from a 2008 Toyota Yaris for $52 shipped. I also purchased some new DENSO plugs as the car has ~47K miles.

COP arrived as promised on the scheduled delivery day. When I test fit the coils I noticed several things.

- Coils appeared to require they be seated much further than what is shown on website. Therefore, I could not use the spacer and had to use just a single washer as the rubber insulator had to be removed for the COP to set far enough onto the plug.
- Another issue was that these coils did not have an angled up connector, which caused the far passenger side coil connector to interfere with both the valve cover and wiring harness. This necessitated that I spin this coil ~200 deg from the other coils
- The carbon plate was jacked on the front edge due to it being the actual edge of the laminate. When I say jacked, the actual weave was misaligned within the resin. I don't think this would be an issue if the part had been cut from the center of the master panel.
- Someone needs to create a CAD file for the plate so it is cut more neatly. I would also recommend someone cut the plate for a IX(this was disclosed before purchase.)
- Because these coils set so much further down then what I have seen on the website I was able to use the factory cover, which I preferred due to the jacked carbon and coils that were not all aligned in the same direction.

I am sure some people will be mad that I made this post, but I call it like I see it. Overall I am happy as I have $250 invested in the entire kit, which is less than half the cost of the Sparktech jobber. I can tell a slight difference over stock so I think the kit is worth the cost. I would only recommend the plate be reworked for something CNC cut. People need to also know these coils don't have the angled up connector so they will hit the valve cover on the passenger side.

Pics are below....

Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I looked at the sparktech COP and see they also use a similar COP that requires they angle the COPS in a different direction. I may try this with an aluminum plate and post results.

I need to also let you know the plugs are gapped in the 0.028-0.030" range running 21psi with no issues.

To be fair, I need to give my overall recommendation to purchase this kit, but be aware of the coil issue with the Yaris stuff.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Apr 21, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acouple more questions for a possible future customer..

Was this the pre-made kit w/o the coils or the DIY kit?

Also did you use the Yaris coils to save on the costly evo ones?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Acouple more questions for a possible future customer..

Was this the pre-made kit w/o the coils or the DIY kit?

Also did you use the Yaris coils to save on the costly evo ones?
I purchased the premade kit without coils.

I chose the Yaris coils because they were recommended. I also like that I could choose coils from a 2008 model, which is much newer.

I am not sure what evo ones you are referring.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo

I chose the Yaris coils because they were recommended. I also like that I could choose coils from a 2008 model, which is much newer.

so this kit u got was with out coils? if sowhat was the price ? and did u do the wiring ur self?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Referring to the oem coils which are higher priced then the Yaris.

How does the car feel now after the install. I know you said you could tell a slight difference, did you have any ignition issues before?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's mine (used Denso coils)... just wanted to post as a reference so you can see the differences TwinTurbo pointed out. I do like the fact he can install the cover on his setup.

Name:  CIMG6232.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  163.6 KB

Thanks,

Jay

I know it's been discussed; but since I had a HKS DLI2 prior to getting the Spoolin'Up COP, I decided to run both. ZERO issues and working great.

Last edited by churchja; Apr 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:55 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Purchased the prefabbed kit without issue and my questions were all answered quickly. I purchased the recommended part numbers listed on the website, which lead me to a set of COP's from a 2008 Toyota Yaris for $52 shipped. I also purchased some new DENSO plugs as the car has ~47K miles.

COP arrived as promised on the scheduled delivery day. When I test fit the coils I noticed several things.

- Coils appeared to require they be seated much further than what is shown on website. Therefore, I could not use the spacer and had to use just a single washer as the rubber insulator had to be removed for the COP to set far enough onto the plug.
- Another issue was that these coils did not have an angled up connector, which caused the far passenger side coil connector to interfere with both the valve cover and wiring harness. This necessitated that I spin this coil ~200 deg from the other coils
- The carbon plate was jacked on the front edge due to it being the actual edge of the laminate. When I say jacked, the actual weave was misaligned within the resin. I don't think this would be an issue if the part had been cut from the center of the master panel.
- Someone needs to create a CAD file for the plate so it is cut more neatly. I would also recommend someone cut the plate for a IX(this was disclosed before purchase.)
- Because these coils set so much further down then what I have seen on the website I was able to use the factory cover, which I preferred due to the jacked carbon and coils that were not all aligned in the same direction.

I am sure some people will be mad that I made this post, but I call it like I see it. Overall I am happy as I have $250 invested in the entire kit, which is less than half the cost of the Sparktech jobber. I can tell a slight difference over stock so I think the kit is worth the cost. I would only recommend the plate be reworked for something CNC cut. People need to also know these coils don't have the angled up connector so they will hit the valve cover on the passenger side.

Pics are below....
Hmm, this is probably my bad. I sent you the plate made for the coils with the angled connectors. Maybe you should have PM'd me first?

As far as the plate, was the package damaged at the edges? I look at each and every plate before I ship them.

PM me and I'll get you a new one cut when the CNC is back. BTW Acetone will remove that marking paint on the coils.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad I spent the extra $50 and got the complete kit straight from SpoolinUp

Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpoolinUp
Hmm, this is probably my bad. I sent you the plate made for the coils with the angled connectors. Maybe you should have PM'd me first?

As far as the plate, was the package damaged at the edges? I look at each and every plate before I ship them.

PM me and I'll get you a new one cut when the CNC is back. BTW Acetone will remove that marking paint on the coils.
Let me start by saying I am a DIY person so appreciate what you are doing and that your goal is to simply support the EVO community. I hope my post will solidify this fact, but also so we can all learn about the differences in coils and what it takes to make them work. I think it is nice that there is an option to retain the factory cover. I have a buddy that does CNC so I can work with him on creating the CAD file for this type of setup using the Yaris COPs. This may require the pigtail lengths be reworked, but that is an easy change on your end.

As far as the PM, I sent you a PM one week prior to the shipping of the kit letting you know that I purchased coils from a 2008 Toyota Yaris.

With regards to the acetone, the weave is misaligned within the resin so it is not something that can be wiped off. This is something that cannot be missed if you personally packaged the part. I would also say that my plate was not CNC cut as the holes look like they were cut using a pellet gun and certainly not the quality portrayed on your website. I would say the holes were cut by hand using some type of router as best I can tell.

Look, I am happy that I purchased this kit from you and I saved a lot of money over the other options so it is all good for me. With that said, i am providing an honest review of the product and I appreciate that you want to work with me to correct any problems.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Apr 22, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
With regards to the acetone
He is talking about using it to remove the yellow paint from your coils, not anything to do with the carbon fiber.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:51 AM
Silver Sponsor

Let me start by saying I am a DIY person so appreciate what you are doing and that your goal is to simply support the EVO community. I hope my post will solidify this fact, but also so we can all learn about the differences in coils and what it takes to make them work. I think it is nice that there is an option to retain the factory cover. I have a buddy that does CNC so I can work with him on creating the CAD file for this type of setup using the Yaris COPs. This may require the pigtail lengths be reworked, but that is an easy change on your end.

As far as the PM, I sent you a PM one week prior to the shipping of the kit letting you know that I purchased coils from a 2008 Toyota Yaris.

With regards to the acetone, the weave is misaligned within the resin so it is not something that can be wiped off. This is something that cannot be missed if you personally packaged the part. I would also say that my plate was not CNC cut as the holes look like they were cut using a pellet gun and certainly not the quality portrayed on your website. I would say the holes were cut by hand using some type of router as best I can tell.

Look, I am happy that I purchased this kit from you and I saved a lot of money over the other options so it is all good for me. With that said, i am providing an honest review of the product and I appreciate that you want to work with me to correct any problems.
With taking that work trip I was in a rush and just forgot about the coil choice you had.

It was cut from a CNC. Hence why I am in the process of upgrading and fixing it before they come available again (thing went beserk yet again, stepper motor was tweaking out, upgrading to a new driver board too).. A few plates I had time run twice to get them cut but aesthetically when the coils are on there they should look fine. Still unsure how yours delaminated though.

Like I said I can cut you a plate and get you a premade harness for those coils, which I already have files for, but you really need to bring these things to PM as the forum rules state first, especially to clear up the initial misunderstandings. You guys all know I'm here to help and strive to never have an unhappy customer.

Please PM me and we'll get you ironed out.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

With taking that work trip I was in a rush and just forgot about the coil choice you had.

It was cut from a CNC. Hence why I am in the process of upgrading and fixing it before they come available again (thing went beserk yet again, stepper motor was tweaking out, upgrading to a new driver board too).. A few plates I had time run twice to get them cut but aesthetically when the coils are on there they should look fine. Still unsure how yours delaminated though.

Like I said I can cut you a plate and get you a premade harness for those coils, which I already have files for, but you really need to bring these things to PM as the forum rules state first, especially to clear up the initial misunderstandings. You guys all know I'm here to help and strive to never have an unhappy customer.

Please PM me and we'll get you ironed out.
I don't understand why this wasn't done by the OP from the get go. You should always contact the original seller/manufacturer of the product if you have any issues or questions.

I don't know anyone who has any issues with your product. I have 2 personal friends who run it, and I know kracka and scheides both run it as well without any issues at all.

to Matt a.k.a. Spoolin'Up. He'll def take care of you.

-Jalal
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
Silver Sponsor

He meant well so no offense taken here.

Speaking of Scheides I need to finish his harness....

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
I don't understand why this wasn't done by the OP from the get go. You should always contact the original seller/manufacturer of the product if you have any issues or questions.

I don't know anyone who has any issues with your product. I have 2 personal friends who run it, and I know kracka and scheides both run it as well without any issues at all.

to Matt a.k.a. Spoolin'Up. He'll def take care of you.

-Jalal
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

He meant well so no offense taken here.

Speaking of Scheides I need to finish his harness....
His car was recently in a little roll over. There's a thread started on it some where on the forum. Do a search by his user name.

I can't wait until I can order one of these kits from you, Matt. I want to get my kit to look as OEM as possible, with heat shrink on all the wires so that I don't have to worry about dust/dirt getting in the plugs/harnesses.

Same goes for your SD kits. I'd love to be able to just order both of these kits and have nothing else to worry about. Unplug the OEM stuff and plug your kits in and be good to go. No worries about water/dirt/elements, etc.

-Jalal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spoolin'Up COP Review