Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gas mileage after big turbo upgrade?

Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas mileage after big turbo upgrade?

Just curious as to what kind of gas mileage are we getting after a bigger turbo upgrade? I figured that if I can find a good enough "excuse" for my wife.... I can go to sleep without having to be worried about getting stabbed while I sleep lol!
I do a commute of about 230 miles a day, so a good saving should do the trick
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

230 a day! That's nut... ride your bike instead...

No idea to your original question. just throwing in my 2 cents.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TruSlide
230 a day! That's nut... ride your bike instead... ..

No idea to your original question. just throwing in my 2 cents.

That's funny man. I was about to say s.omething down that line. Also I have a 6262 on my car and it uses up a lot of gas even without boosting..

Last edited by gsr0801; Apr 10, 2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^^Same here 6765 2.3L doing about 170miles before the light turns on.

P.S. I drive a little harder than normal people.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I drive like an old lady... squeeze every cent out of the tank i fill. This is going to tun into a gas/mileage discussion rather than a bigger turbo=less gass mileage discussion...

Although I did talk to James at Reese tuning today about getting a flash and the flash assisting in bettering gas mileage.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Lol! You figure that with a bigger turbo (laggier) and a conservative tune, the mpg should increase....
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All depends on ur tune. If you are tuned for power, the A/F will be slightly richer = poorer fuel economy. When you get a bigger turbo, you usually will be tuning for it and the A/F will always be richer than stock.. So my 50 cents is on it reducing your fuel economy..

HOWEVER, You could get 2 tunes. 1 border line lean aka fuel economy map and 1 power map for 93 or 91, whichever gas is available in your state and neighboring states since you drive 231 MILES !? THE HELL? Just do not put your foot down while running a fuel eco map. So you will have to suck it up and drive like a pusssy when that occasional STi pulls up against you lol..

My best suggestion, drive a sports bike.. You will look cool, reach faster, better chances of dying which makes u a bigger badass and you get excellent fuel economy even while spirited driving..

Cheers

Last edited by prodigy1210; Apr 11, 2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prodigy1210
All depends on ur tune. If you are tuned for power, the A/F will be slightly richer = poorer fuel economy. When you get a bigger turbo, you usually will be tuning for it and the A/F will always be richer than stock.. So my 50 cents is on it reducing your fuel economy..

HOWEVER, You could get 2 tunes. 1 border line lean aka fuel economy map and 1 power map for 93 or 91, whichever gas is available in your state and neighboring states since you drive 231 MILES !? THE HELL? Just do not put your foot down while running a fuel eco map. So you will have to suck it up and drive like a pusssy when that occasional STi pulls up against you lol..

My best suggestion, drive a sports bike.. You will look cool, reach faster, better chances of dying which makes u a bigger badass and you get excellent fuel economy even while spirited driving..

Cheers
lmao! Yeah I'm moving to the poconos but I'm still going to work out of NYC. The bike is definately get it's use for sure. I used to have a turbo civic before and when I went up to a bigger turbo (40R) my mpg increased.
My other option is getting a prius and run the risk of being called a tree humper at every light, lol. But 50 mpg you can't go wrong I guess!

Flower power baby
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prodigy1210

Cheers
and don't forget have a purple ballsac and *** every night.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
and don't forget have a purple ballsac and *** every night.
Lmao!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

i got well over 300 miles last tank driving from Charlotte to Norfolk with an fp red; so i a little over 25mpg for the whole trip
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have heard that if the turbo is bigger it doesn't spool as fast which would make sense that it would get better mileage... I know very little about this sort of thing however.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newcomer81
i got well over 300 miles last tank driving from Charlotte to Norfolk with an fp red; so i a little over 25mpg for the whole trip
what speed were you driving mostly during the trip?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You should get better mileage as the turbo will not go into boost as quickly. Might want to log your fuel trims.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

65 mph average speed for the whole thing. there is a long stretch of 55mph roads that brought the average speed down. i usually drive 10 over on the highways. i stopped 4 times for coffee, other than that i was stoked to see i make the whole trip without getting gas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas mileage after big turbo upgrade?