Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Replacing the stock RF stereo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the stock RF stereo

NEW PICS, POSTS #18 & #26 & #29

I've had my car for over a year now, and I've wanted to do a stereo upgrade for a very long time. I swore to myself that if I did it, that I wouldn't mess around and just replace a couple of things. I've been collecting equipment over time, and deciding how to install the stereo. So, this is my writeup of my stereo install. I have the Rockford Fosgate stock stereo and stock navigation system in my X. My plan is to keep the nav and replace all other components of the stereo system. Amp, speakers, tweeters, sub and sub box. I'm also going to add a backup camera while using sound deadening material throughout the car.

Because of the stupid setup of the RF system, I had to decide whether to hook up the amp via the 4 channels from the deck (amplified) or use the 2 channel low level signal. I'm looking for clarity, and I don't like amplifying already amplified signals. So, I'm choosing audio quality over having all 4 channels. Unfortunately I will lose the ability to fade front to rear, but I don't really care about that. I'll be using the 2 channel low-level outputs from the stock nav system, with a 4 channel amp. I learned all of what I need to know, from these threads:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...night-day.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-oem-amp.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...amp-sucks.html

I've purchased a JL Audio M4300 Amplifier. I was originally going to go with a G4500, and spend about $250 on it from a non-authorized dealer. One of the local stereo shops had the G4500 for $350, and they happened to have this one M4300 leftover amp from 2 years ago, and it happens to be a marine version. Internally, it's the same amp as the G4500, just a different external shell and some waterproofing internally. I got it for $160, and it has its full 1 year warranty in tact. Sweet deal. With this amp, I will be running the front and rear speakers off of 2 channels at a 2 ohm load, and running the other two channels bridged to the subwoofer. I purchased the remote bass control knob so that I have some sort of bass control other than just bass/treble on the nav. I'll mount this in the center near the S-AWC switch. This will leave me pushing 125W RMS/channel @2ohm to the highs (62.5W RMS per speaker), and 250W RMS @4ohm to the sub.
http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=261 ($171 w/tax)

I've purchased 100 sq. ft. of edead sound deadening material. It's probably not the best material out there, but I'm also not looking for best. All I care about is that it's not asphalt based, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to do the whole car. I will rip out the entire interior of the car. Seats, carpet, trunk, trunk separator, etc. I'll use edead throughout the entire car and on the doors, including the plastic separator and rear window shelf, to minimize any rattles. They drive me nuts. This should also quiet down the car just a little bit. It's more of a daily driver for me, so I'd like some quiet.
($125 shipped)

I've purchased an aftermarket backup camera with infrared capabilities, and a special cable specifically for hooking a backup camera into the nav system (or any composite video device for that matter). I'll mount the camera above the license plate, as I'll only be using it to see people and other objects behind me.
$19
$25

As for speakers, this will be done in a two phase process. First, I will replace all the door speakers and tweeters. For the front I have a brand new set of JL Audio VR650-Csi components with crossovers. For the rear doors I have an older set of Rockford Fosgate 6 3/4" coaxial speakers. I don't care about the rear as much, and these speakers were awesome when I used them last. If they don't work out well, I will replace the rears with an inexpensive set of JL Audio coaxials. That's phase one. Phase two will be the subwoofer, and will come after the build is complete. I will be replacing the stock sub box and speaker with a new 12" wicked cas fiberglass box with a JL Audio 12W3v3. I figure the 12w6 is somewhat overkill, as there's not enough air space for it, and I'm pushing the right amount of power for the W3.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=127 (door speakers $200)
http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...&cat=23&page=1 (Box $375)
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=25 (Sub $150)
(Total = $825)

For wiring the amp, I've purchased a 4 gauge wiring kit from Stinger. I was going to order the JL Audio kit until the guys at the local shop recommended the Stinger stuff. he showed me the differences in the cables, and while there's nothing wrong with the JL cables, the Street Wires cables are far more flexible and less expensive. I may add a capacitor one day, but for now I'll leave it as it is.
($54)

Total cost for this build: $1120, not including all the miscenaneous crap I'm sure I'll have to buy while installing it, lol. I'm only spending $700 to start, then after the system is complete, I'll purchase the Wicked CAS box and sub.

System construction starts as soon as I receive the sound deadening material, which I am hoping should be Wed or Thurs this week. Once I receve it, I'll start taking pictures throughout the process of the install. Because of course,

Last edited by Webman; Mar 28, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Nice post. I'll be able to respond this evening.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

In case you wanted to save a few more bucks... a friend of mine used to do high end custom installs and he would use a different insulator for noise and dampening. We bought some of it for the resto on my dad's porsche and seems to be the same thing.

Picked up at Lowes

http://tinyurl.com/y9lfheu

Actually price is about the same... but in case you need more and dont wanna wait for shipping... this could work for ya.

Last edited by Spy007; Mar 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
In case you wanted to save a few more bucks... a friend of mine used to do high end custom installs and he would use a different insulator for noise and dampening. We bought some of it for the resto on my dad's porsche and seems to be the same thing.

Picked up at Lowes

http://tinyurl.com/y9lfheu

Actually price is about the same... but in case you need more and dont wanna wait for shipping... this could work for ya.
The only down side to that stuff is that it's asphalt based, whereas dynamat and many others are butyl rubber based, which is said to last longer and provide greater damping at the same thickness. I didn't know this before doing my truck about a year ago, and I installed fatmat, which seems to be doing fine so far, but it's asphalt based. Good to know it's available locally though!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, excited to see how the update to the audio system goes for you. You, Jay and I will have to get together sometime.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, excited to see how the update to the audio system goes for you. You, Jay and I will have to get together sometime.
Yeah, for sure! I just saw Jay on Friday over at Sonic on N Federal. It was pretty quiet in comparison to how it normally is when the weather is nice.

My sound material and wiring will arrive tomorrow, so I'm all set. And since it's going to snow tonight, the car is parked in the garage until I'm done with it. I will start gutting it tonight to be prepared for tomorrow when the sound material arrives.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

God i cant wait for this snow crap to end.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Webman
I've purchased an aftermarket backup camera with infrared capabilities, and a special cable specifically for hooking a backup camera into the nav system (or any composite video device for that matter). I'll mount the camera above the license plate, as I'll only be using it to see people and other objects behind me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280438528209
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150391573986
(~$45 shipped)
Any more info on the camera? That auction ended and I can't see any of the details. $45 is a really good price, I guess the price has come down a lot since I last looked into these.

God i cant wait for this snow crap to end.
+1
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
Any more info on the camera? That auction ended and I can't see any of the details. $45 is a really good price, I guess the price has come down a lot since I last looked into these.
Interesting. I guess I'm going to have to produce some images of my own for that stuff.

The camera was only $13 with $6 for shipping from japan on ebay. I figured I could lose $20 if I got a POS. I received it awhile ago and hooked it up to my tv and it looked great. I even shut off the lights, and the infrared was pretty impressive. Hopefully it works out well on the car. The special cable for the MMCS was like $25. I don't think the dude is selling it anymore, but I'll post a pic of it later.

I love the snow, but I also love the change of seasons
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

20 Minutes until I'm outta here to start ripping apart the car. I am far too excited for this.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

20 Minutes until I'm outta here to start ripping apart the car. I am far too excited for this.
Good luck!! I'm worried about the Wicked CAS box. It isn't screwed in and relies on that styrofoam piece to keep it secure.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd

Here's an updated auction listing for this item. $20 shipped... Not bad at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-View-Car-Ba...ht_4247wt_1167
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the snow, but I also love the change of seasons
Yeah, I'm bitter about this winter (no pun.) I don't have a garage to work in and I'm over working in the cold--I need a house.

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Here's an updated auction listing for this item. $20 shipped... Not bad at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-View-Car-Ba...ht_4247wt_1167
Thanks! Man, $20 is a deal, might have to pick one up.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Here's why a garage is quite necessary. This is, of course, from last night while I was ripping apart the car.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the stock RF stereo-img_6052-800x600-.jpg  
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

I want to know what this in this picture. The Black air filter looking thing near the center of the picture on the side of the trunk. It's only on that side of the car.

Last edited by Webman; Mar 24, 2010 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing the stock RF stereo