Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Shaking steering wheel problem.

Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking steering wheel problem.

I have 05 EVO VIII (non MR). Recently i noticed that my steering wheel is shaking a bit. I thought it could be caused by not balanced wheels (I had an aftermarket Konigs), so i balanced them, but it didn't fix the problem. I even replaced them with the stock Enkei rims with separate set of tires, but it also didn't fix the problem. What might cause that shaking steering wheel??? Any suggestions, please???
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
check all the ball joints and bushings.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Pick the front of the car up.
put your hands at 9 and 3 on the tires and gently shake back and forth. If there feels like there is any "Play" you are looking at inner or outter tie rods.
Now put your hands at 12 and 6 and begin to push back and forth with each hand. If you feel "play" here you are looking at a hub assembly.

Take a pry bar or cro-bar and get under the car where the ball joints are. Pry between the spindle and lower control arm. If the lower ball joint is busted it will flex and be visible.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:46 AM

most likley tie rods or ball joints, since u didnt say anything about the wheel bearings roaring.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance
put your hands at 9 and 3 on the tires and gently shake back and forth. If there feels like there is any "Play" you are looking at inner or outter tie rods.
Now put your hands at 12 and 6 and begin to push back and forth with each hand. If you feel "play" here you are looking at a hub assembly.

Take a pry bar or cro-bar and get under the car where the ball joints are. Pry between the spindle and lower control arm. If the lower ball joint is busted it will flex and be visible.
Would agree here.

Also check your strut assemblies. A blown strut wont reb/comp right, if just one is gone, the wheel can bounce up and down (on the springs) when driving. Can feel like a shaking wheel.

And wheel bearings can go out without making a lot of noise. So still check everything.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was running some cheap pads and they were good at pad transfer. After an emergency stop from high speed my steering wheel had a bad shake. It went away after some driving.

I ran these same pads on a five day road trip and encountered several occasions where I had lessor amounts of wheel shake. I'd get worried that something was wrong and then it would go away. Finally, I decided to ditch the pads.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:01 AM

I had the same problem and it was the tie rods.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by TrPLbLk03
I had the same problem and it was the tie rods.
Tie rod ends on the first generation DSMs were good for 60-70K. My Evo is at that mileage. I was hoping that Mitsu had upgraded that part. I guess it is time to start giving tie rod ends close attention.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance

I would say this^^^^ if its under acceleration or brake pad transfer if its under braking.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:49 AM

I can see the steering wheel shake/vibrate around 65-70mph. Below that there's no shaking at all. Any ideas? Going to have to try doing that wheel shaking inspection.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:53 AM

Subscribed. I have the same shake at around 65.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:08 PM

high speed shimmy may be tires out of balance also
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have hawk pads and I don't think its the pads. Car has 56K and it's shaking from 60 to 90mph.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:30 PM

rotors are shot probably
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:43 PM

oh yea, for the guy who only gets the shimmy during braking the rotors are warped for sure, most likely just needs a re surface, as long as the rotor thinkness is within spec.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaking steering wheel problem.