Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does anyone know what the stock exhaust decibel measurement happens to be?

Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know what the stock exhaust decibel measurement happens to be?

I'm having a HUGE issue with local newbie cops trying to play super trooper. My exhaust system is very quiet you can literally hear the air coming out of the baffle over the sound of the exhaust itself. If it was actually loud I would just bite the bullet and find other alternatives.

The local laws in my area allow you to change the exhaust so long as it does not excede the OEM sound level. (which the cops have no idea what it is, just keep telling me it's to loud)

The cops literally told me they should not be able to hear the car running when standing next to it! I tried to argue the fact that is this not a hybrid, then came out the it's a 4 cylinder, bla bla bah. So you see where this is going already.

Anyways. At one time or another I've seen a list of db readings from various oem exhaust systems. That is what I'm looking for to show these ignorant people not all cars are hush puppy quiet. I know my old SRT-4 had very loud 100% oem exhaust.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's any help; from Turbo Magazine's (rip) exhaust shoot out, an VIII stock exhaust tested at 92db. I posted a pic of the highlights here;
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-results.html
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you that gives me something to start with.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So they're basically trying to say that the exhaust on a corvette, mustang, or some other v8 that come stock from the factory being loud are already illegal according to their standards?? Ha, the law makes me laugh. I had to go to court for mine, its cat'd and has a resonator and muffler and I showed them pictures of my aftermarket greddy exhaust in court and I got let off (idiots). I'm pretty sure the max it's supposed to be is somewhere around 95dB?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:03 PM

i think its 95 dB everywhere except 90dB in cali i believe.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to bring up an over 1 year old thread, but does anybody have the official stock exhaust db rating? I see the turbo mag pic that says 92db, but that was someone's spreadsheet they uploaded. Is there an official Mitsubishi rating? I got a ticket for my exhaust being too loud. He said that it is louder than when I bought it from the dealership. I told him I bought it from the Mitsubishi dealership with this exhaust on it. He back tracked and said he meant from the manufacturer. He didn't have a sound meter, so I'm considering going to court. I bought a stock exhaust from a member on here, but haven't installed it yet until I know what the oem db rating is.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Download the app for your phone and measure it yourself and show the cops
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Stock Exhaust db

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Download the app for your phone and measure it yourself and show the cops
Did it! Thanks! It says my Tsudo CBE is 95 db and my "new" stock CBE is 70 db. I also lost 30hp/tq.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
haha this is funny, cops say you shouldn't be able to hear it standing next to it, like these guys are genuine car experts???... tell that to my stock evo... its still decently loud OEM, 100% stock lol
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
haha this is funny, cops say you shouldn't be able to hear it standing next to it, like these guys are genuine car experts???... tell that to my stock evo... its still decently loud OEM, 100% stock lol
Seriously, these cars are loud!
I went and checked out one at a dealer, who had it backed up against a wall in a Giant indoor garage/showroom thing and this 110% stock evo viii was seriously loud! very deep humming sound.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chaser_41
I went and checked out one at a dealer, who had it backed up against a wall in a Giant indoor garage/showroom thing and this 110% stock evo viii was seriously loud! very deep humming sound.
I've been tuning it since I had to change the exhaust and it's pretty freaking loud at WOT! I just hate the late spool up (700 rpms later) and the loss of hp/tq. I do like the around town driving and no BOV flutter.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chaser_41
With the stock exhaust I think you can "feel" it more than you can really hear it. At idle/low rpm it sounds really deep and bass-y but once you get going all you can hear is road and tire noise. I remember trying to make some flyby videos when I first got mine and was extremely disappointed with the lack of noise

Now with an aftermarket 3" TBE and cams my car wakes the dead. Luckily I live in a small town filled with rednecks that all have loud as **** trucks, mustangs or camaros so the cops don't really bother me.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

I can hear my car idle from a mile away it seems like...

Yeah from what I have heard they would have to test and prove that your exhaust is too loud in order for you to have to pay the ticket. Thanks for the info on that app! Ill have to download it not IF but WHEN I get pulled over for my exhaust.