Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How does the E-brake work?

Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the E-brake work?

How does the E-brake work? I'm asking this because today at X-sport on the super downgrade parking complex, I was not able to lock all my wheels with the e-brake fully engaged. Is my e-brake busted? I am able to stop my car from rolling with less degree of slants but the one at X-sports is like 55-60 degrees and I can't stop my car from rolling with the e-brake. Does it lock the shaft from spinning or lock the wheels through the brake pad/ disc brake? And how many wheels does it lock?

Last edited by raytrix; Jan 12, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

I'm not 100% positive this is exactly how it works on the Evo X, but this is how it works on nearly every car made today.

The ebrake works independent of the hydraulic braking system through your brake pedal. When you pull the ebrake handle, a set of cables are pulled which actuate the rear brake pistons to slightly grab the rear rotors. It's just enough to stop the car from rolling in most situations. That's about it.

So, the ebrake only slightly locks up the rear wheels. It doesn't do anything to the driveshaft or differentials...that's all transmission related.

Have you tried also leaving your car in gear in addition to the ebrake? That will help a little bit.

Have you had your ebrake checked out? It could be loose which is not allowing it to properly grip the rear brake rotors. You can do a quick check yourself. Pull up on the handle. You should hear between 4-6 clicks and it should get pretty tight. If it's not feeling tight, then there is some slack in the cable and it needs to be adjusted. I believe the owner's manual has a DIY how to adjust it. Or the dealership or any brake shop could do it for you.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

thanks, yeah my e-brake handle goes past 6 clicks easily. I think it's too slack now, warranty should cover this if i bring it to the dealership right.

I even tried it where the e-brake fully engaged and the the car in gear. Even the transmission wasn't enough to hold the car. I saw my friend's Legacy GT 2010 and BMW 335i each was able to lock the car on that hill with just the e-brake.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

could worn out rear brake pads also affect the e-brake's holding power for the car on the hill?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:14 PM
hlm
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake shoes could be a issue!! Take it to a shop and get them checked out! The rear wheels have 2 sets of brakes, 1 - disc / pads and 2- the rotor acting as a drum and brake shoes inside the drum!

The e-brake is pretty easy to adjust but if you have no idea how then I would take it somewhere!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

you should also be able to leave the car in gear and it should NOT be able to move. I dont even have to pull my ebrake hard to get the car to go sideways, but it DOES only lock up the rear wheels, as it should. You should definitely have it looked at as to why its not holding the car, and even if you put your car in gear on a hill and get out, it SHOULD hold it but you should never trust JUST that. I always do both.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't use your e brake in the winter it could freeze or get some ice inside the drum making the pads drag and wear out your pads prematurely.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

last i checked we dont have Drum brakes.....
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qu evox
last i checked we dont have Drum brakes.....
Read and learn brainiac.

Last edited by ak47po; Jan 12, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
Read and learn brainiac.

Knowledge is Power. Anyways I just came back from the gym and tested it again, I was able to stop it from rolling downhill this time. I had to jack it all the way to the second to final click or was it final click. When I said I put it in gear and it still rolled down. Does it matter which way the car is facing that will prevent it from rolling down. Because the situation I was describing was going downhill and i put it in gear 1,2,3,4,5 and they all didn't stop the car from rolling downhill. BUT I didn't try reverse gear. I know that when the car is facing uphill, gear 1,2,3,4,5 all locked the wheel from rolling backwards.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

^unless mitsu transmissions are weird, im pretty sure that no matter what gear you leave it in the car should not roll forward or backward in my experience from owning standard transmissions.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmc8302
^unless mitsu transmissions are weird, im pretty sure that no matter what gear you leave it in the car should not roll forward or backward in my experience from owning standard transmissions.
I believe even locking in gear, if the weight of the car + steepness of the slant it greater than the engine's compression, then the car will move no matter what. Have you ever put your car in gear on hill grades 50 degree and greater. I've locked my car numerous times on medium grade hills 40 degree and lower and those times was never high enough to break the engine's compression to start rolling the wheels.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7181404AAILJEI

That link talking about turning the engine is still possible depending on the grade of the hill or type of car.

Last edited by raytrix; Jan 12, 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Mines having the same problem, well I wouldn't it a problem. When I'm parked on a slight hill put the car on neutral and ebrake, it tends to move a little. Sometimes I think it'll just roll down the hill!lol. I haven't gotten use to putting the car in gear yet.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

It's good practice to do both in combination, less chance of losing your car on a baby hill. For the big hills, just pray that non of the 2 fails on you
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I think that mitsu will only cover the ebrake for 12 months 12,500 miles. Then they will try to charge you for 1 hr labor for 10 minute adjustment.

Is'nt the rule of thumb to leave it in the gear that goes the direction that you dont want it to roll. IE - in first if you're facing down a hill, reverse if you are subject to roll backwards.''Don't forget to angle those tires!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does the E-brake work?