Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

25mm or 27mm RSB? Help NEEDED

Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 25mm or 27mm RSB? Help NEEDED

Okay guys heres the deal. I am going to be picking up a new RSB in the next week. Before anyone says anything, I have spent countless hours searching Evom, google, and even EvoM via google bc we all know how the search function works. I have read numerous articles about brand preference, hollow vs solid, endlinks, stout mounts etc... but none of these have directly answered my question. So if your going to just flame, please save yours and my time and do not post. now that I posted that disclaimer, onto my ACTUAL question.

What size rear swaybar is optimal? I am going to be going with a solid rear bar, and am trying to decide between a 25mm and a 27mm bar. I know ideally you want the same brand both front and rear, and I will be getting a front bar as well, my actual question is regarding rear thickness.

I have heard the 25mm bar offers a great, balanced, neutral handling car. While 27mm creates a vast amount of oversteer (i like oversteer), it could stiffen the car up to much and be too much for the rear tires to handle, losing some of the Evo characteristic handling. I am on 255 advan Neova tires and will most likely use R-comps in the spring.

This is a street car, but it is mainly used for AutoX and the occasional open track day. I am in the process of building it up as a track car as the funds come in. I prefer my car to be as stiff as possible and handle as best it can without regard to comfort.

So what's everyone's opinion. 25mm bar? 26mm bar? or a huge, tail happy 27mm bar? Thanks in advance for all the opinions and advice. Hope everyone had a great and safe New Year.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Replied to PM

And both bars.

Originally Posted by Me in the PM
I did full Swifts. GTWorx does full Whiteline (26mm front and 22/24mm rear). CBRD does a Perrin (25mm) rear bar and Whiteline front (pretty sure on that).

I have driven full Whiteline (24mm rear) too. Car felt good.

MR Turco has the Perrin rear and now Whiteline front too. Been in his car for AXing last season on just the RSB. That seemed to be a good combo. With the front, should match pretty close to my Swifts. The adjustably is nice to dial in what you want also.

RobiSpecs are great too (25mm front and 26mm rear). And fronts are adjustable also.
I am a fan of slight oversteer. Not the vast, instant tail snap. I would go with a 25 or 26mm rear and adjust as needed.

Last edited by Smike; Jan 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

your the man Smike, thanks again for the help
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

This decision ENTIRELY depends on your current suspension setup. Are you running stock springs/shocks, lowering springs, coilovers, what?

IMO, if you are mostly concerned with getting the car to handle, then I would recommend you stick with the stock rear bar or a smaller adjustable one (Whiteline or WORKS 24mm) and get the car to turn mostly from changing springs. Remember that as the rear bar gets stiffer, the chance of picking up rear wheels greatly increases, which can be bad. If you throw a 27mm rear bar on a car with stock suspension or lowering springs, you'll carry the inside rear wheel through every corner and be stuck with NO power on corner exit.

I would also recommend against changing the front bar unless you know you need one, instead of just changing it because "it matches". If you change both bars, you're going to be chasing your tail trying to get the car to handle right. Been there, done that.

Assuming that you might be on stock suspension, start by putting coilovers on first. If it's too pushy, put a small adjustable rear bar on. If you still can't get it to rotate, change springs. Add a front bar if it gets too twitchy, the car can't put power down, or you're rolling the front tires over like hell and you're unwilling to raise the front spring rate due to road compliance. Do one thing at a time rather than throw money at the car hoping it will handle. Again, been there, done that...
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

spool sample, (besides having a sweet username) thanks for the advice. I am going to go with a rear bar first. I would like to take the suspension modding one step at a time and improve the car as I improve my driving.

i am currently on stock struts with lowering springs. I am saving up for coils but that will be some time out. I am experiencing understeer while on the track, and would like to get the car to rotate a little easier. In the future, as the money comes, I will progress to stiffer springs and nice coils, but for now I want to start with a RSB.

sounds like a 27mm bar is too big and will actually hurt my power out of the corners, as you said. I am looking into a progress 25mm solid bar. Any thoughts? Again, thanks for the help!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
For a street-car I wouldn't go beyond a 25mm. A street car and a track car with R-comps are two totally different things though so you need to decide which your car is (and be realistic about it, too many people try to convince themselves that their daily-driver is a track car and over-mod).
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Coilovers are a macro game changer for the way the car handles. Swaybars are to fine tune your set-up and need to be chosen based on how the car behaves with your macro mods in place and your driving style. I'd do nothing except alignment and tire pressures until you have the cash for coilovers.

BTW, I started with a 25mm bar, then got coilovers, then switched to a 27mm bar, FWIW.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 03:33 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OP knows I run a RobiSpec 27mm rear bar with works ride springsd and oem bilsteins, and I love it. My opinion is to be realistic and look at the overall setup of your car and see what would fit the setup to give that balance. I've mentioned to the OP before that a 27 may be a tad large for regular street performance, but a car seeing track use will benefit from a larger bar, or stiffer settings. With his thought of running r-comps next season, I'd recommend the 27mm. Bringing coilovers to this conversation is another ball game. Stiff springs in the rear will make up for the rsb, so lets leave that out. Lets give good advice based on current setup, car usage, and budget!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

right on chu thanks for the post. your absolutely right. my car is a street car that sees regular track time. Mainly AutoX but also a few open track runs. Coils is coming but not until after the sway bars. I hate the evo stock understeer and want to get the car to rotate easier esp around the cones. current set up is stock struts and lowering springs. I am just nervous that if I go 25mm for the street driven aspect I will eventually want to upgrade to the 27mm bar later once coils come. Robi would be nice with the 26mm, just trying to get opinions on optimal thickness. Also, anyone have any insight with Progress Sway Bars ? Thanks for all the help thus far guys, keep it coming. Cheers
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
Also, anyone have any insight with Progress Sway Bars ?
Good bars, had the 30mm adjustable front bar on my old 240SX. Adjustability was very good and they are well-made.

FWIW, pretty much every 25mm Evo rear bar out there that I've seen is a Progress, it just might be recolored or relabeled. Perrin's and RRE's bars are the same exact thing, so just get whatever you can get the best deal on.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
The OP knows I run a RobiSpec 27mm rear bar with works ride springsd and oem bilsteins, and I love it. My opinion is to be realistic and look at the overall setup of your car and see what would fit the setup to give that balance. I've mentioned to the OP before that a 27 may be a tad large for regular street performance, but a car seeing track use will benefit from a larger bar, or stiffer settings. With his thought of running r-comps next season, I'd recommend the 27mm. Bringing coilovers to this conversation is another ball game. Stiff springs in the rear will make up for the rsb, so lets leave that out. Lets give good advice based on current setup, car usage, and budget!
thats great advice.. I started out with stock KYB's and works springs with Hotchkis 25mm and had a blast running around Europe with it in multiple venues. I have since upgraded to coilovers and had to adjust accordingly for ride. I have yet to hit any road courses since coming back to the states, but during spirited rides I can definitely feel the difference. If you have any desire to track, then I would recommend a slightly stiffer rsb as well. Wouldn't worry so much about the fsb right now. If/when you decide to make it a more track oriented, then you may want to rethink your setup. I think one thing that was missed is power output. I have jumped from a mild 320ish hp/tqe to over 500. If you don't adjust your suspension in line with power then you're gonna miss out on your power gains. good luck with my man...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:15 AM

Ok. good advice for those of you looking into the coilover catagory, but what about those of us with springs and lookin to stay that way.

I have an 8 MR with about 380hp. Im going to be running Swift springs, HD or OEM Bilsteins (cant decide if gettin the hd is worth the $), Whiteline roll centers and now i just need to decide on the size/ type of sway bar.

To help with the advising process i have Falken 235/45 zr17 tires (yes i know, not so good). Also, i do like oversteer but not a huge tail-loose, tire-squeel type load, i like to be able to control when it does, as i can in the stock setup. understeer < oversteer.

What size/ type of RSB would be good for someone like me lookin for a setup with those characteristics and can still be a decent DD?

Last edited by Paintballer81; Jan 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I run the 27mm agency power rear sway bar on the medium setting. My car is a street car. It is not overkill at all. It definitley helped reduce understeer, and stiffened up the rear end.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dan628
I run the 27mm agency power rear sway bar on the medium setting. My car is a street car. It is not overkill at all. It definitley helped reduce understeer, and stiffened up the rear end.
Easy to say on the street driving. Try driving on the track with it, or even a fast autox layout!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
Easy to say on the street driving. Try driving on the track with it, or even a fast autox layout!
Not sure what you're getting at. I have the Agency Power 27mm rear bar as well and have been running it full stiff on both the street and the track. Haven't had any problems with it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 25mm or 27mm RSB? Help NEEDED