Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel Damage: Discount Tire - Help me out!

Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Damage: Discount Tire - Help me out!

Ok guys so I got new tires mounted and balanced at Discount Tire last weekend. I took a look at the wheels and noticed the outside of the rim was scratched almost all the way around. I talked to the manager and he said their machine does not scratch wheels. It looked like a fresh scratch and I told them I don't curb my wheels and that I'm pretty sure it was done by them. They talked to the guy who mounted the tires and he admitted that he scratched the rim. After setting up an appointment and putting on my spare, they refinished my wheel for no charge. I was still upset that they knew it was scratched by them and they tried to play it off like it was my fault.

Now, since it has been raining here I hadn't gotten around to cleaning my rims in the last week but today I've finally found time and noticed that 2 of the others are also damaged in a slightly different way (the inside lip was damaged all the way around). I immediately took it to Discount Tire and they assured me their machine couldn't have done the damage. I talked to the assistant manager and then the general manager. Both were looking at me like I was the idiot. They even showed me how their tire mounting machine works and at the moment I was somewhat convinced it couldn't happen. Then I realized it looks as if they forgot to remove the wheel weights before mounting the tire. The wheel weight must have scratched the inner lip almost all the way around when the mounting machine was spinning. Here are pictures:

The second photo, I think, really illustrates the issue but now I don't know what to do to prove to them that it was their fault. I am going to NTB and a body shop tomorrow to get their opinions and quotes of what happened and how much it will cost to repair. I'm also upset that I've been lied throughout this entire problem and I've already wasted hours of my time doing research and talking to people about what happened. What can I do to get this taken care of? If they are still positive it is not their fault I will be contacting a lawyer and documenting everything from other shops. I just want my time back and my wheels looking like they were when I brought them in. Sorry for the length I'm just somewhat frustrated with this situation.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, looks like they tried to remove the tire without removing the wheel weight. Very obvious to me. I'd fight it.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From now on take photos before you take it anywhere for work. Discount tire chipped all four of my calipers when they did my tire rotation. I WILL NEVER let them do it again. Tire Rotations by my self from now on.

Looking for a fix? Powder coat them babies black.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
From now on take photos before you take it anywhere for work. Discount tire chipped all four of my calipers when they did my tire rotation. I WILL NEVER let them do it again. Tire Rotations by my self from now on.

Looking for a fix? Powder coat them babies black.
Even when I asked the manager what could have caused the damage besides the tire mounting he had no idea. To be a manager of one of the biggest tire shops in Houston you would think they'd have seen a problem like this - and to not fess up to something that looks obvious is the worst part.

What's sad is that I would actually have to take pictures before and after any work done to my car and it's just a pain that you really cannot trust anyone...
Old Oct 9, 2009, 06:57 AM
Account Disabled

It def is a wheel weight. I had an 06 STi and they forgot to take the outside wheel weight off before they took of my tire and it looked just like that. Luckily for one I saw the weight spinning around the wheel and for two the shops around here arent as hard to convinence that they did it. Good luck!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Happened to me when I had my IX MR.
They forget to take off the outside mounted wheel weights.

The manager of the local tire store and I got into a crazy heated argument.
The guy in the back walked the office and admitted that he caused the damage.
They paid for the repairs after I called their owner and complained about the Manager and his attitude towards frequent customers.

Sadly, I won't ever do business with them again. I also will not be sending my fleet vehicles there.
The manager had explained in the heated argument that he doesn't care how often I send him work, he's not paying for repairs.

All companies make mistakes. Its a natural part of life. Deal with it!
I just hate them they cannot stand behind their mistakes.

Last edited by robb86; Oct 9, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Being a recent transplant to Houston I have had the experience that dealers and business here dont treat customers with the consideration and thoughtfulness one would expect in other areas of the country.

For example I went to Gilman Mitsu. to have my fluids changed on my 06 MR. It was a 15k service and instead of performing the standard service, as I requested. They took it upon themselves to perform the next level of service, which was also by coincidence more expensive, and didnt bother to ask me if I wanted to have that level of service performed.

The difference was about 150.00 bucks and front and rear diff fluid changes that didnt need to be performed!

Cool Huh?

Two weeks later my car was hit while sitting in a parking spot, in The Woodlands, which caused 12k in damage! And no note was left!

Super cool!

I love Texas!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:24 PM

Gerald's Tire damaged one of my rims as well, after I got a nail in one of my stock tires. They left the weight on the rim when they put it on the machine to take the old tire off. It dragged the weight along the lip, doing similar damage to your pics. They paid to have it painted. But of course, the paint is wearing off. Great quality.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:00 PM

Call the owner.

I would call the owner and complain. Also, send him/her a letter. If it is a corporation, then I would send a letter to the corporate headquarters. I know its a pain, but it may be worth it just to have them take a look at this location and their work practices.

I would demand replacement of the wheels. These BBS wheels are expensive.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck man, my last EVO IX I got Work VS-XX 3 piece wheels, took the wheels still sealed in box to discount tire and when they mounted the tires, my buddy went to pick them up, he got back to his tuner shop and noticed they were all gouged. Not around the rim, but from the outter lip to the inside where the hub meets the wheel. All 4 wheels.... I left work, went there and they denied EVERYTHING.

So good luck with it.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, your assumption is exactly correct. They forgot to remove the wheel weight before dismounting the tire. The weight gets caught on the duckbill head and is dragged making a horrible noise along with it. How do I know this? Don't ask. haha.

Good luck. Most shops will deny everything even if they know its their fault. Also, the employee may be lying to his manager forcing the manager to take the employees side.

Even if they remembered to take off the outside weights, there still would be scratches on the wheel from when the weights were originally installed at the factory. Stupid. How the hell does a 30k+ car have hammer weights as opposed to a Toyota Corolla with adhesive weights from the factory? I guess Mitsu had to cut cost somewhere.

Last edited by DannyK24; Oct 11, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

happend to me 2yrs ago. Got new tires mounted on my stock BBS rims by a local shop and they ended up scractching all 4 wheels with a pry bar.. I asked before hand if they scratched wheels while mounting and they said NO. I took them to small claims court and was paid $2500. each wheel from the dealership costs close to a G. Hope you win your case. GL
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i took my wheels to a no name shop on the corner and paid them $40.00 to unmount a set of tires & wheels, unmount my stock tires and wheels, remove the TPMS and place them into the newly unmounted set of tires and wheels (my new tires and wheels came mounted already...) mount the new tires and wheels back and balance them. discount wanted 240.00 for this, a 2nd discount quoted me 295.00 for this.

i no longer go to discount I use firestone or a local tire shop. i also like firestone because my local one and the one local to my parents house are alot more relaxed about customers in the work area, i think discount works "too fast" their employees are running around like mice in a cheese field (sorry couldn't come up with anything better) so an accident like this happening are very likely to happen again.

some people on here have very $ wheels , i dont think the discount employees have time to realize it thus they are handling your $650 wheel the same way they handle a 16" DE rim.

Last edited by lancer0220; Oct 12, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 08:19 AM

That looks like what happened to mine.

I feel your pain! I had the same thing happen.

Ask them if they mounted it upside down (outside on the bottom). That will point out their mistake.

It looks like the wheel clamp took a chunk out of it and wasn't even tight enough to hold it in place, scraping it all the way around.

Good luck!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:39 PM

Discount tire did the same thing to me. I took a wheel in for a flat repair. I left the wheel with them, left to run some errands, came back to pick it up and the manager told me my rim "broke" their machine. I inspected my rim to find deep gouges running around the inside of the rim. The lip was also badly scratched up. According to the manager, my rim was too big for their machine. My rim caused their machine to break and now they have to fix their machine. He told me they wouldnt charge me for the damages. WTF?!!! After some heated arguing I left never to return to any Discount Tire shops otherwise I might have beat somebody up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Damage: Discount Tire - Help me out!