Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2jz vs rb26??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just building the engines for power doesnt mean everything though...a lot of the built 2jz's are dyno and drag strip queens...while a lot of the rb26's shine on the road course with great response.

i love both engines, but i just have 2 words: MINE's R34
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awd.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jk's03EVO
2JZ. I havent heard of stock block Skylines making a 1000whp.
So you've never heard of the RB26DETT.

I've been a Nismo guy for 10 years and there are plenty of RB26DETT engines putting down 1,000+ whp. Most of them are found in 10 second (or better) Skylines and 240's.

Bottom line, both the RB26DETT and the 2JZ have proven fully capable of making power in excess of 1 megawatt (1,340 hp). Both engines are considered the pinnacle of Japanese engineering, cast iron inline 6 cylinder engines.

I would love to see the comparison between these 2 engines. It would be nice to see which engine comes out on top within the given confines of the build.

I suspect dbsears is correct about the head flow vs. displacement and the 2JZ would gain the advantage.

All out, it would be 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other, complete coin toss.

You are planning on going with the "N1" RB26DETT I take it.

I would also love to see a side by side street comparison in similar cars.

Finally, I would love to see an all out, no holds barred max hp throw down.

In other words, yes I would love to see the match up!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
So you've never heard of the RB26DETT.

I've been a Nismo guy for 10 years and there are plenty of RB26DETT engines putting down 1,000+ whp. Most of them are found in 10 second (or better) Skylines and 240's.

Bottom line, both the RB26DETT and the 2JZ have proven fully capable of making power in excess of 1 megawatt (1,340 hp). Both engines are considered the pinnacle of Japanese engineering, cast iron inline 6 cylinder engines.

I would love to see the comparison between these 2 engines. It would be nice to see which engine comes out on top within the given confines of the build.

I suspect dbsears is correct about the head flow vs. displacement and the 2JZ would gain the advantage.

All out, it would be 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other, complete coin toss.

You are planning on going with the "N1" RB26DETT I take it.

I would also love to see a side by side street comparison in similar cars.

Finally, I would love to see an all out, no holds barred max hp throw down.

In other words, yes I would love to see the match up!

I think you missed where he said " Stock Motor "..I dont think there is any of those.. I am not a nissan fan at all.. The RB is inferior to the 2jz IMO.. Nothing has proven to compare in terms of 6cyl, IMO..

For instance.. 1732whp 2jz..

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=551435

Mike
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

again, how would the above car fare on a road course?

if these two motors are going to be built, for what purpose will they be built for?
max power and drag racing? 2jz
road racing and response? rb26
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
Former Sponsor

I was speaking in terms of HP because if your comparing motors the only thing you can really compare is HP.. Otherwise its a chassis comparison also..
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I think you missed where he said " Stock Motor "..I dont think there is any of those.. I am not a nissan fan at all.. The RB is inferior to the 2jz IMO.. Nothing has proven to compare in terms of 6cyl, IMO..

For instance.. 1732whp 2jz..

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=551435

Mike
That must be because he said "stock BLOCK" not motor, stock BLOCK. Yes, I have read the 1732whp 2JZ thread.

The fact remains that when you ask the experts to compare the two blocks and engines, you will more often than not find that these two are a toss up. I personally could care less who prefers what and who is or is not a fan of what, the fact remains, both engines are easily capable of surpassing the 1,000whp threshold.

Oh and the exvitermini skyline pushed 1500whp from an RB26DETT.
GOOGLE:
http://www.google.com/search?q=exvit...ient=firefox-a

These are both outstanding engines, and as I said, given the specs in the build the 2JZ likely has the advantage. As for which is better, the Japanese engineered RB26 or the Japanese/German engineered 2JZ it is a complete toss up.

The Nissan fanbois will say the RB26, and the Nissan haters will say it's the 2JZ, the world will never know.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
That must be because he said "stock BLOCK" not motor, stock BLOCK. Yes, I have read the 1732whp 2JZ thread.

The fact remains that when you ask the experts to compare the two blocks and engines, you will more often than not find that these two are a toss up. I personally could care less who prefers what and who is or is not a fan of what, the fact remains, both engines are easily capable of surpassing the 1,000whp threshold.

Oh and the exvitermini skyline pushed 1500whp from an RB26DETT.
GOOGLE:
http://www.google.com/search?q=exvit...ient=firefox-a

These are both outstanding engines, and as I said, given the specs in the build the 2JZ likely has the advantage. As for which is better, the Japanese engineered RB26 or the Japanese/German engineered 2JZ it is a complete toss up.

The Nissan fanbois will say the RB26, and the Nissan haters will say it's the 2JZ, the world will never know.
We can assume he meant stock motor.. Of course block is stock its cast iron.. If you want to talk stock block lb for lb the 4g63 kills them both.. 1400+hp stock block..

Sorry the rb26 is inferior to the 2jz power wise.. If you wanna compare exvitermini than talk titan motorsports and gas motorsports in AUS.. 2000+hp..

It doesnt take fanboys to sort out the HP debate.. its clear in writing on the wall.. NO RB 26 has made 2000+hp..

Mike
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:44 PM
Former Sponsor

I have owned both a GTR and a Supra
Stock block for Stock block the Rb has nothing on the 2jz.

But I still prefer the sound of the Rb
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

We can assume he meant stock motor.. Of course block is stock its cast iron.. If you want to talk stock block lb for lb the 4g63 kills them both.. 1400+hp stock block..

Sorry the rb26 is inferior to the 2jz power wise.. If you wanna compare exvitermini than talk titan motorsports and gas motorsports in AUS.. 2000+hp..

It doesnt take fanboys to sort out the HP debate.. its clear in writing on the wall.. NO RB 26 has made 2000+hp..

Mike
it also doesnt help that the rb26 was never sold over here and the japanese dont really do drag racing.

who knows what it would have made if the r32-34 were sold over here....oh well, only in a perfect world
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fortune-Auto

But I still prefer the sound of the Rb
No doubt they sound great and rev up sweet.. Its an inferior motor HP wise when stock or built up equally.. Titan is trapping near 190mph in the 1/8 right now.. Not much more to say..

Mike
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Thats over 700hp/liter..
HP/Liter is ricer math.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

We can assume he meant stock motor.. Of course block is stock its cast iron..
Stock for stock varied depending upon the actual RB26 engine. Stock RB26DETT's are not so clear cut when it comes to the "stock" RB26 series engines, for example

RB26DETT = 280hp and 260 ft. lb. (reported) actual real world stock RB26DETT's have been dyno'd at 320hp UNMODIFIED.

RB26DETT N1 = 305hp (different internals, better balanced crankshaft and improved water channels)

RB26DETT Z1 = 510bhp!!! STOCK (Anniversary production car Z-Tune GT-R) N1 block with Nismo internals.

If you are just talking stock internals, then again the RB can produce 1,000hp (N1 no doubt, Z1 half way there on a stock production engine), which was the original argument by Jk's03EVO who implied a stock RB26 could not make 1,000whp.

I was speaking in terms of HP because if your comparing motors the only thing you can really compare is HP.. Otherwise its a chassis comparison also..
You seem to think it's all about the hp debate, I disagree. First of all I never claimed an RB could beat a 2JZ in terms of total max hp output. In fact not once did I post higher hp output by an RB over a 2JZ (1,700+ 2JZ vs 1,500 RB) those are the numbers I posted....that still leaves the 2JZ ahead in hp.

What I said was that these two engines are a toss up (6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other). I stand by that statement.

Looking at the big picture....

There are other key elements such as reliability, upgrade costs, maintenance, etc.

Each engine has their strong points and weak points.

RB26 also predates the 2JZ by about 2-3 years, thus making it the trail blazer. Toyota just looked at what Nissan did and gave their engine bigger displacement, of course when they couldn't get the job done they had to field out their work to the Germans. lol

Finally, being able to produce 2,000hp means nothing if you can't use it. Once you reach a certain level of power all the engine is good for is tearing up transmissions, differentials and drive lines, not to mention crazy uncontrollable power that does little more than make a car do 360's really really fast down the road.

So yes, built, these two engines are a toss up....again...IMO.

Originally Posted by Fortune-Auto
Really? Considering the RB26 and 2JZ were both rated at the exact same hp....stock for stock....but real world numbers put the RB26 higher in terms of hp, I am surprised to hear that. The fact that the R32 runs faster than the Supra in the 1/4 mile with faster trap times I am even more surprised to hear that. Sure the Supra looks better, but it's also heavier.

I can respect the fact that some people don't like Nissan. That's usually the case when you are top dog, people will always hate on you. In terms of Japanese production cars, Nissan is top dog. Others have come and gone, (I'm looking at you Toyota) yet Nissan continues to push the envelope and see what can be done in terms of Japanese sports cars, import tuners, etc. They are still blazing trails in terms of engineering, product development, production, and technology. As with anything else, some stuff pans out and some does not, that which works is often quickly emulated by others.

I'd likely be a bigger fan of the Supra and the 2JZ if Toyota was still producing the Supra, or even the Celica for that matter. As it sits right now I can go down to the local Nissan dealership and buy a brand new GT-R or 370Z, or I can go to a local Toyota dealership and buy...what....a Yaris....a Prius? Toyota had the Supra, a one hit wonder, oh and the Celica to a much lesser degree. Nissan has had the Skylines/GT-R's, S chassis and Z cars all of which have been extremely successful and 2 of which are currently in production.

If you want to talk stock block lb for lb the 4g63 kills them both.
Agreed.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as I love Toyota R&D I am going to have to agree with you on this one. Marketing wise its a smart move on Toyota but Nissan is really running away with the cars they are producing and the quality. If a turbokit wasn't 10k for a Nismo I would have sold my evo last year
Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

I think the 2JZ will win out. To me the RB26 engine is a great engine, but it is over-hype because we don't have it here in the US.