Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Took the restrictor pill out

Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the restrictor pill out

and the clutch feels 100 times better. It now releases lower compare to sky the **** high like it use to, due to the pill. Is there a way to adjust the clutch pedal like on the 8/9?

Bleeding the clutch is much like bleeding the brakes. Hook the bleeder valve to a bleeder house/catch can. Pump the clutch a few times and have someone push and hold it all the way down. Then loose the bleeder screw until you see fluid starting to come out though the line in to the catch can. Then tighten the bleeder screw back down. Next have your helper pump the clutch a few times and on the last time have them hold down the clutch all the way down. Open the bleeder screw again to release fluid in to the catch can. Keep doing this until you see nothing but fluid.

Pump the clutch.....hold it all the way down.... loosen bleeder screw.....watch fluid/air bubbles come out......tighten bleeder screw back down....repeat, until its nothing but fluid coming out (IE.. no air bubbles)
Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yup, it helps. Did it to all my Mitsu cars.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Djstorm100
and the clutch feels 100 times better. It now releases lower compare to sky the **** high like it use to, due to the pill.
Interesting about lowering the engagement point, right now my ACT doesn't really do squat until I'm at the last 20% of travel. If the car is going downhill it will start to grab earlier but it's usually not enough to move a 3600 lbs car on level ground.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

The reason it release so high is bc of the pill.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason it release so high is bc of the pill.
to be honest, i've become used to it. not saying it won't be nice to have it lower (my old car engages immediately), but to have it so high is nice for beginners not used to hitting that engagement point.

in the end, it's about getting used to the car and what you prefer. i'm fine with it being high.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

I removed the pill mainly for the fact of how the clutch is engaged. Also because the clutch engage is controlled more by the pill vs the driver.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

I removed the pill mainly for the fact of how the clutch is engaged. Also because the clutch engage is controlled more by the pill vs the driver.
it increases response? hm...i'll do that when my current clutch wears out
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Bleeding the clutch is much like bleeding the brakes. Hook the bleeder valve to a bleeder house/catch can. Pump the clutch a few times and have someone push and hold it all the way down. Then loose the bleeder screw until you see fluid starting to come out though the line in to the catch can. Then tighten the bleeder screw back down. Next have your helper pump the clutch a few times and on the last time have them hold down the clutch all the way down. Open the bleeder screw again to release fluid in to the catch can. Keep doing this until you see nothing but fluid.

Pump the clutch.....hold it all the way down.... loosen bleeder screw.....watch fluid/air bubbles come out......tighten bleeder screw back down....repeat, until its nothing but fluid coming out (IE.. no air bubbles)
So the clutch has to be bled after removing the pill? The stock engagement point is ****, I'm doing this tonight if I can.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I don't always push the clutch pedal all the way in while shifting....

So, my question is, have you noticed now that you do have to press the clutch all the way in each time to shift?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
So the clutch has to be bled after removing the pill? The stock engagement point is ****, I'm doing this tonight if I can.
Originally Posted by slo4g63
I don't always push the clutch pedal all the way in while shifting....

So, my question is, have you noticed now that you do have to press the clutch all the way in each time to shift?
the clutch engagement point is the same every now vs being different due to the resistor. you should press the clutch in all the time EVERYTIME you shift ..period
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the driving lesson, but that is incorrect. Nothing wrong with pushing the clutch in all the way each time, but there are advantages to not having to do so both on track and off....
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

There may be advantages to not fully disengaging the clutch when you shift, but the disadvantage is you're going to wear the clutch prematurely. If you like to only slightly push the clutch in when shifting, why not leave it the way it is? It seems like that's exactly what you want.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

True, that's why I was asking, to get clarification.

About the premature wearing of the clutch, could be possible, but I did get over 70k miles on the IX stock clutch including several hard road course days.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I took out the restrictor pill the first day I got the car. Clutch engagement feels more precise ....especially in the evo 9
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Please mind my dumbass'ness but where is the restrictor pill located and how do you take it out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Took the restrictor pill out