Notices
ECU Flash

EvoScan Map Tracer - Alt-Maps (and standard maps)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
EvoScan Map Tracer - Alt-Maps (and standard maps)

I'm looking for some "getting started" guides on logging to use map tracing. I never actually got it to work with standard maps, but I never really tried because I didn't know where to start. I'm stepping it up a notch now and asking if someone can help me with map tracing on the alt-maps so I can write something up for the wiki.

1) What do I need to setup for XML related to evoscan? It doesn't seem to like the XML I'm feeding it.

2) What do I need to log? Any specific order?

3) Anything else I should know? Hints/Tips?

Once I have it working successfully I'll do a quick write-up for the wiki.

Thanks guys!
Old May 18, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not succesfully got my maptracer to work in evoscan, but I have read, that you need to log loadcalc, which I never did...
Old May 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never gotten this to work either, and information for this seems sparadic so I just stopped trying...
Old May 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Being able to use 1 byte load would be a bonus for sure.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
Being able to use 1 byte load would be a bonus for sure.
agreed...
Old May 18, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here i been trying to get the map tracer to work too with no luck
Old May 18, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

it would be nice to be able to use this function, espescially considering that its been in the software for a while now... But there is a "maptracer" excell file that was posted up in the forum somewhere that I had found a while back, and that seems to work just fine. I pretty much know the load Im hitting at each rpm point, but would be nice to have this in evoscan to play w/ as well! If any1 wants I will post it up later tonight. I did NOT create it, so I can not take credit for it, but its a nice lil tuning tool.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

I've had no problem using map tracker. Works like a champ.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
love map tracer...works fine with me though v2.6 beta has a bug and shifts the traced values one cell to the right.

I'm looking for some "getting started" guides on logging to use map tracing. I never actually got it to work with standard maps, but I never really tried because I didn't know where to start. I'm stepping it up a notch now and asking if someone can help me with map tracing on the alt-maps so I can write something up for the wiki.

1) What do I need to setup for XML related to evoscan? It doesn't seem to like the XML I'm feeding it.

Once I have it working successfully I'll do a quick write-up for the wiki.

Thanks guys!
I made a video tutorial for v2.1 a while back. A lot of the info isn't accurate and doesn't apply to recent versions of evoscan but it might help some to understand how to use map trace mode.

http://blip.tv/file/750735
Old May 18, 2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my difficulties with map tracing, but it does work great...Now. For some odd reason, if you have the label of 'Load' instead of 'LoadMUT2Byte' it fails to work for me. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to log Load2Byte, just make the label that in the logs. Once again, I don't know why, but that's the only way it works for me.

Also, you have to simplify your xml files. I have 2 files for each map, my actual xml file for the rom....in this case 88590015.xml I keep in the same place as the Rom file, this makes it easy to map trace and just select your rom and it sees your xml as well.

The second, copy, of the xml file is the actual EcuFlash xml. This I don't touch for map tracing because evoscan won't be looking at it. I've had numerous problems with non-simplified xmls ...I saw it on the forums here, I believe it was a post by jumperalex about simplifying the xml files to work with EvoScan and that's how he got his to work. I remember after I did that I had no other problems!

Hope this helps!
Old May 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
I've had no problem using map tracker. Works like a champ.
Can you elaborate more and possibly explain set by set how you do it?

The point of the thread was instruction, not to say it works good for you and thats it.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry....I didn't realize you wanted some instructions.....my bad.

I have EvoScan v2.6 beta7. All I had to do was load it and everything worked exactly as planned.

I did have to load my tables. Simply right click over the bottom portion of the map tracker table and then find your xml. It should load.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Sorry....I didn't realize you wanted some instructions.....my bad.

I have EvoScan v2.6 beta7. All I had to do was load it and everything worked exactly as planned.

I did have to load my tables. Simply right click over the bottom portion of the map tracker table and then find your xml. It should load.
What items are you required to log for it to work? Can it work on any map or just fuel/timing?
Old May 19, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

My buddy and I use 1 byte load, but we changed the "log reference" of the 1-byte load data item to read "LoadCalc" and changed the load calc "log reference" to be LoadCalcXXX. Seems to work ok and checking what we were seeing in the logs themselves versus what was displayed seem to be accurate.

But in truth, we stopped using it pretty quickly because we found it easier just to get more used to reading the excel logs.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:32 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What is alt-map? To answer your questions:

1. No special XML setup is needed.

2. With the latest EvoScan, you just logging with the usual params that you want to see like RPM, TPS, A/F, Timing, knock count, boost... These data will save to a comma delimited file (Excel can understand and open it). When selecting the EvoScan Maptracer menu item from EvoScan, it'll ask for that file, upon selected it'll open in a three-panel window. The left panel contains the mutual exclusive logged item checkboxes (which mean only 1 checkbox can be selected as a time), check on the corresponding one to see the map-tracer presentation of that item.
If it's the first time you're using the map-tracer, you'll need to select a bin/hex file which is an EcuFlash data file contains your evo map. Please select the one that's current for your car. You can read it off your ecu.

3. Hints:
Move the mouse over the map-tracer cell to see all data that used to calculate the value in that cell.
Select maximum or average value depend on the situation that most fit for you.
Make sure you're using the latest EvoScan as the older versions may have issue running Map-Tracer correctly.

Hope that help. I got to get back to work.

Quick Reply: EvoScan Map Tracer - Alt-Maps (and standard maps)