Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

oil change info - interesting read

Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change info - interesting read

I'm not sure how many people know this information, but its definitely good stuff to know. I myself just found this out yesterday.

Anyway my girlfriend and I noticed that the Lancer feels noticeably peppier after oil changes while my gs-t and all my previous cars would feel no different after getting the oil changed. Yesterday I had this explained to me by someone at work: The variable valve timing in engines such as MIVEC, VTEC, VVT-I, etc. is dependent on the oil to operate at full performance. Most VVT engines take 5w20 oil because that grade works the best with the VVT; but 5w20 breaks down very easily because it is so thin. Usually, by the time you get your oil changed, the oil has begun to break down; so when you put new oil in the engine, the car feels peppier from the "fresh" oil.

So knowing this, it would make sense that if you wanted the best possible performance from your engine it is very important to:

Change the oil at regular intervals.

USE 5W20. If thats what the engine calls for - use what the engine calls for.

Use synthetic oil. Synthetic oil takes much longer to break down than conventional oil does. Also, it would be good to research and find out what synthetic oil brands are known for lasting the longest.

Most of that is common sense, but that hasn't stopped people from ignoring it before
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

well the weight of oil can be controversial.. it depends on the variables. people who live in the desert use 10 w 30 while people in cold temperature use either 0-30 or 5w20
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

what about how mitsu says to change oil at 3750...thoughts? cuz i got the vip 2 year free oil change thing...i dont think theyd change it for me for free if i started goin in every 3000 miles
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swankin
I'm not sure how many people know this information, but its definitely good stuff to know. I myself just found this out yesterday.

Anyway my girlfriend and I noticed that the Lancer feels noticeably peppier after oil changes while my gs-t and all my previous cars would feel no different after getting the oil changed. Yesterday I had this explained to me by someone at work: The variable valve timing in engines such as MIVEC, VTEC, VVT-I, etc. is dependent on the oil to operate at full performance. Most VVT engines take 5w20 oil because that grade works the best with the VVT; but 5w20 breaks down very easily because it is so thin. Usually, by the time you get your oil changed, the oil has begun to break down; so when you put new oil in the engine, the car feels peppier from the "fresh" oil.

So knowing this, it would make sense that if you wanted the best possible performance from your engine it is very important to:

Change the oil at regular intervals.

USE 5W20. If thats what the engine calls for - use what the engine calls for.

Use synthetic oil. Synthetic oil takes much longer to break down than conventional oil does. Also, it would be good to research and find out what synthetic oil brands are known for lasting the longest.

Most of that is common sense, but that hasn't stopped people from ignoring it before
5W-20 oil is used for fuel economy purposes...it really doesn't have anything to do with variable timing. I can name 20 cars with VVT where you will never find anything close to 5W-20 in the sump. The "feel" of the car, along with MIVEC, will be exactly the same if you use 0W-30, 0W-20, 5W-20, or 10W-30. What you decide to use depends on preference or, like krnkimchi702 said, climate.

And no research is needed: Amsoil will blow away any other synthetic oil in terms of protection and durability
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
well the weight of oil can be controversial.. it depends on the variables. people who live in the desert use 10 w 30 while people in cold temperature use either 0-30 or 5w20
Well, yeah thats true. I should have said where climate allows.

Originally Posted by I Am God
what about how mitsu says to change oil at 3750...thoughts? cuz i got the vip 2 year free oil change thing...i dont think theyd change it for me for free if i started goin in every 3000 miles
I meant regularly, and at a reasonable interval. In most cases, the car manufacturer's recommended interval is a good guideline to follow. I just meant not changing the oil every 6k+ miles - if you're looking to constantly have the best possible performance. In terms of taking care of your engine, I would say going every 6k miles with synthetic would still be fine if you did it regularly. Thats mostly my opinion though - don't take it as me telling you a "rule" or something.

Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
5W-20 oil is used for fuel economy purposes...it really doesn't have anything to do with variable timing. I can name 20 cars with VVT where you will never find anything close to 5W-20 in the sump. The "feel" of the car, along with MIVEC, will be exactly the same if you use 0W-30, 0W-20, 5W-20, or 10W-30. What you decide to use depends on preference or, like krnkimchi702 said, climate.

And no research is needed: Amsoil will blow away any other synthetic oil in terms of protection and durability
I agree with your general statement, and I also know that not every VVT engine uses 5w20 - Toyota VVT-I's for instance - but I would have to say that if you kept putting 10w30 in your MIVEC/VTEC/whatever you would feel a difference over time that you wouldn't feel had you put in the recommended grade oil. That statement assumes a climate where 5w20 is suitable.

And as for Amsoil, I've heard conflicting things about it. Many people such as yourself say that its the only oil to consider, while i've also heard quite a few people say not to go near it. Kind of like Royal Purple, where people either love it or hate it.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

i always go to the dealer just becuase the warranty
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

How come the manual on my 2009 Lancer GTS says interval of 7,500 miles before oil change. Should I follow this or depends on where you live? I don't live in harsh area like the desert or something, and it doesn't snow here either
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancer09mx
i always go to the dealer just becuase the warranty
Thats ridiculous! It takes around 30 min to do yourself and is a breeze! They can't take away your warranty for something as simple as that. Just do it right, keep your receipts, and use oem oil filters.

Originally Posted by humblehyper
How come the manual on my 2009 Lancer GTS says interval of 7,500 miles before oil change. Should I follow this or depends on where you live? I don't live in harsh area like the desert or something, and it doesn't snow here either
I'd just do it at every 3k...
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

yea my gts said the same thing..i didnt hold to it tho i dont know wtf that mark is for..oil change every 3750 like the manual says...i got the 2 year vip thing free oil changes for 2 years, 2 free details, once a year...they still charge me for tire rotation tho...

i dont think theyd still do the free-ness if i went in every 3000k...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I Am God
yea my gts said the same thing..i didnt hold to it tho i dont know wtf that mark is for..oil change every 3750 like the manual says...i got the 2 year vip thing free oil changes for 2 years, 2 free details, once a year...they still charge me for tire rotation tho...

i dont think theyd still do the free-ness if i went in every 3000k...
Well, you should rotate your tires/wheels yourself. Very easy! Now putting your tires in the opposite direction(if they are unidirectional) so you can swap them with the ones on other side of the car is a different story.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by humblehyper
Red the manual again. It clearly explains all of that stuff. Lancer GTS recommended changes are every 7500 miles or 6 months (normal driving). Since I never drove mine more than 7500 miles in 6 months, I changed it at 6 months. Then I traded it in before I had to change it again, lol. I also switched to synthetic at the first oil change.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

im goin by severe maintenance...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Another factor also is how your drive the vehicle and certainly is it more street driving or freeway. There is nothing wrong with checking your oil either before the 3k mile or every once in a while. I know on my evo8 depending on how I drive it, the oil gets really dark quick (on track days).
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just wanted to add this...if you have a GTS and lower...there is NO NEED to buy royal purple oil....that **** is 10 bucks a quart and wont get you more HP......